Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My CTS-V Brake Upgrade Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
It...Stops...AMAZING...some members here were telling me that I wouldn't really feel the difference between the stock brakes and the Brembos but I have to disagree...there is a TREMENDOUS night and day difference even over a full factory brake job...I can stop from a 45 roll instantly (if I don't mind everything in the back seat to go flying through the car)..
Handling on the new tires, I haven't really put them to the test yet but it feels alittle better than my stock 16's did but not by a HUGE amount, but noticeable.

I came to a hard stop from 30 MPH in our subdivision and threw my mother out the seat and braking feels SO much more confident than it ever has before in this car and it outperforms braking in any of the vehicles we own... ...This upgrade is a MUST do...
Good job, glad you got it together.
However we need to put things in perspective. The amazing stopping power you described sounds like what you get with good pads on the stock system. I can come to a halt from 60mph like its nothing and throw my passenger through the window easily, but certainly couldn't do that with the stock pads or oem replacements. The difference is in the pads.
A "Full factory brake job" sucks *****, the factory pads were ****, oem replacements are ****, autozone replacements are **** and tire shop replacements are ****. You have to actually buy good pads and not rely on shops to throw some ceramic junk on there.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Everything works and brakes perfectly still but I now have a concern.

I am getting VERY loud squeeling from what SOUNDS like the driverside front brake when Im crawling to a stop from 15 MPH or less. Its completely quiet on higher speed stops or hard stops but those slow rolling stops sound like someone relentlessly grinding their nails on a chalk board and its loud.. what is causing this and how can I fix it?
Old 10-29-2016, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Everything works and brakes perfectly still but I now have a concern.

I am getting VERY loud squeeling from what SOUNDS like the driverside front brake when Im crawling to a stop from 15 MPH or less. Its completely quiet on higher speed stops or hard stops but those slow rolling stops sound like someone relentlessly grinding their nails on a chalk board and its loud.. what is causing this and how can I fix it?
Did you break in the pads at all? What kind of pads did you get?
Old 10-29-2016, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Did you break in the pads at all? What kind of pads did you get?
They came with the calipers which were provided by ZZP. Power Stop Ceramics. I didn't do any real break-in (wasn't aware there was a procedure) Do you think my pads are bad already?
Old 10-29-2016, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, there is what is called a "bedding in" procedure with brakes. Whether or not they are bad would require a visual inspection though.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Bedding the pads is a very important step.

Just installed my CTS-V 4 piston brakes with hawk HPS pads and they're dead silent, not to mention how they bite like a ****. I can engage ABS from 60+mph with 315 R888's out front, one of the best mods I've done so far.

I gotta do some 60-0 braking tests, I would bet my car would be up there with some of the modern pony cars
Old 10-30-2016, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dang, now I feel like a douche, nearly $1k invested and I forget the most important step. I'm going to try to bed them, I mean..it can't hurt at this point. I'll also put some grease between the pistons and the pads when I get time to take them off.

I need to note though, even on hard stops, my ABS is not triggering at all. I mean it throws everything out the seat when I make hard brakes and I know they're fully optimized as before I did this it stopped worse than my 2013 G37 and my 2015 Camaro and now it makes those cars feel like they have weak brakes.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:30 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dang, now I feel like a douche, nearly $1k invested and I forget the most important step. I'm going to try to bed them, I mean..it can't hurt at this point. I'll also put some grease between the pistons and the pads when I get time to take them off.

I need to note though, even on hard stops, my ABS is not triggering at all. I mean it throws everything out the seat when I make hard brakes and I know they're fully optimized as before I did this it stopped worse than my 2013 G37 and my 2015 Camaro and now it makes those cars feel like they have weak brakes.
Scuff up the rotor and pad in a circular motion with some sandpaper while you're at it. Then go back through the bedding process. You're not gonna do any good if you do it do it now without it.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by justin455
Scuff up the rotor and pad in a circular motion with some sandpaper while you're at it. Then go back through the bedding process. You're not gonna do any good if you do it do it now without it.
I'll probably take it apart and regrease the area between the shim and the piston. I don't think I did it for that side.
Meanwhile I went and bedded them - 4 65 MPH to 45 MPH slow downs then 6 65 MPH to 10 MPH hard brakes. It's not squeeling as bad as it used to and it doesnt always do it like it did before but once in awhile it will still squeel..I'm afraid of warping my rotors if I do this too much..

Front rotors after bedding them:

Name:  IMAG1881_zpshsqmzlkk.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  171.6 KB

Name:  IMAG1880_zpsavbdb6ge.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  119.1 KB

Name:  IMAG1879_zpsamqhllxj.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  163.1 KB
Old 08-23-2020, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gathering parts and preparing for the brake conversion also. Where did you buy your calipers?
Old 10-04-2020, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Can Cadillac brakes get put on a 01 Camaro with 15x5 up front & 15x10s in the back?

Quick Reply: My CTS-V Brake Upgrade Thread