Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR torque arm and BMR relocation mount clunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMR torque arm and BMR relocation mount clunk

so did an 80e swap on a F-body and bought BMR's adjustable torque arm and transmission cross member with the torque arm relocation mount on it for the 80e. Well i only have 150 miles on the set up since it got changed and now going over bumps and letting on and off the brakes it makes this awful clunk under the car. ive checked bolts and nuts and i cant figure out where its coming from anyone have any ideas? BMR reps have you heard of this before?
Old 09-01-2016, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you use an angle finder to be sure your rear was still angled properly after the switch? U-joints and slip yoke would be the next area to check and make sure there is not a lot of play in them. Also check your transmission fluid is full.

Did you check all the bolts with a torque wrench or just a socket? Sometimes hand tight isn't torqued properly and can lead to it, even if you go 500 lb gorilla on it. Then check bushings for excessive wear. Also your parking brake cable to see if it is loose.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the same exact setup (bmr).

I was told by others that its not really a "clunk" but noise to be expected due to tunnel mount (instead of on the transmission) and poly bushings. My angle is -2 (checked with angle finder).

Everything was torqued via torque wrench and my car is fully dynomatted and I can still hear it.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The relocation set-up shouldn't produce the same "clunk' that is sometimes associated with the Tunnel Mount set-up.

Chances are if everything is tight, the bushing aren't damaged and the torque arm isn't hitting anything like the underbody. there's a good chance it's something else like the panhardbar or lower control arms and the noise is being transmitted through the car more because of the updrade to the torque arm and bushings.

Best thing to do is check everything even if it has nothing to do with the new components.

Craig
Old 09-02-2016, 02:34 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What rear end do you have? Is it still the stock driveshaft and u-joints? Have you checked your transmission mount?

What I commonly hear with a clunk like this when all the hardware checks out is drivetrain slack being transferred more audibly. When the rear end (especially these stock 10 bolts get some mileage on them) loads and unloads, the slop in the gearset and u-joints can be made apparent. Get the car in the air and grab the driveshaft and check for excessive movement in the u-joints or pinion

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-03-2016, 05:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Possibly the front of your torque arm is sitting lower than it was previously depending on which adjustment hole you used, and it's hitting your exhaust or y-pipe. That's what mine did the first time I drove it until I sorted it out.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's anything like mine(lowered car) it's hitting the back of the tunnel with the torque arm. Mine does this... when i put my 8.8 in the car i will be hammering the tunnel out to make more clearance for it and doing rubber hose over the bottom coil of the spring to give it some extra height.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:11 AM
9 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

sub'd for info, trying to sort out my spohn right now, im hating it so far......
Old 05-11-2017, 06:12 AM
9 Second Club

op,please post your fix when you find out what it is
Old 05-27-2017, 11:48 PM
9 Second Club

Any updates on this? I'm ready to put my stock one back in..
Old 05-31-2017, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on my BMR torque arm there are 2 sets of bolt holes to bolt the arm to the rear diff. I just moved the arm in further with the other 2 bolts and my issue is gone

Quick Reply: BMR torque arm and BMR relocation mount clunk