Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

new brake woes (FIXED)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default new brake woes (FIXED)

Installed new brakes today on my 2000 WS6. New rotors, pads, clips, and caliper guide bolts all the way around. Now the stupid things are squealing constantly. Both driving and braking. I thought it was just new and would go away, but 30 miles later and they are just as bad. I moved the car forward and backwars a couple times right after the install, then I did some moderate brake application repeatedly, then drove constantly without braking. I used raybestos blanks and powerstop evolution pads. Ceramic rear, carbon fiber/ceramic front. Used disk brake grease on the clips and on the back of the pads (next to piston and opposing retaining bracket). The brakes stop absolutely amazing, but won't shut the #### up!

I noticed that one pad for each wheel had a funny clip or metal tab on it. I installed each rear set like I found it. Inside and at the top. The fronts were at the bottom on the inside, but I flipped them like the rear sets. Is there a certain way they should go? I think the fronts are the only one making the noise.

First time disk brakes have ever gave me grief.

Last edited by flyboy129; 09-04-2016 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Issue solved
Old 09-03-2016, 10:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

The tab/clip is probably a wear warning device, When the pad wears down the clip/tab contacts the rotor and squeals. Did you wash the new rotors with soap and water or brake clean? I've had to take sand paper to pads they didn't break in properly and lightly scuff them to remove the glaze.

Edit: Just reread your post at first I didn't notice the noise was present wll the time, Does it sound like it's coming from one side or the other?
Old 09-04-2016, 07:06 AM
On The Tree

I am deaf in my right ear, so everything sounds like the left to me. Joking aside, from what I can tell it is both fronts. Will put the rear of the car on stands this afternoon and "drive it" to rule out the rear brakes.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboy129
Now the stupid things are squealing constantly. Both driving and braking.
This exact thing happened to me once. ... Very frustrating. It turned out to be my wheel bearings/hubs. Generally our fronts only last 75-125K-ish miles.

Did you have any noise before you changed your brakes? The failing bearings can sound just like a brake squeal and new brakes would only make a sound driving if the calipers were bad and dragging...
Old 09-04-2016, 03:27 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's impossible to tell what's making the noise on the internet. Take them apart and regrease everything is what I would do.

Are they high metallic pads by chance? If so you'd notice some squeal especially at low speeds. There's nothing you can do about that.

If not, it wouldn't hurt to scuff up the pads and re-bed them in again too. Moderate braking isn't the best way to do it though. It should be hard braking. Should be going from 35 to 45 mph down to about 5 mph real hard and then taking off again. Do that 5-10 times and you're good. Just try not to come to a complete stop and hold the pedal down. I also will do one or two stops from 30ish with just the rear barked using the parking brake just to make sure they're getting enough heat in them.

Never had any brake noise (apart from high metallic pads) using this method.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Well, I drove the T/A to service this morning and one of the members is a mechanic by trade. Since he'd be keen on diagnosing the source of the sound, I had him listen as I circled the parking lot. He said the right front was the main offender with the left front making a minor noise, so after service, I tore into the front again.

Turns out, one of the new clips (bottom side) the pads slide on was making contact with the new rotors. I swapped in an old clip in that spot and the right front was fixed.

The left front wasn't to the same level noise wise, but both new clips were contacting the rotor. The old clips did as well (probably where I had noticed some light scraping noises previously), so I took the new ones off and used a bench grinder and some pliers to massage them into submission.

Occasionally, I will hear a light scrape from the driver's side, but it is minimal and only under/after heavy braking, and goes away quickly, so I consider this brake job a job well done.

Quick Reply: new brake woes (FIXED)