Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Questions on my c6 brakes on fbody swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Default Questions on my c6 brakes on fbody swap

After a lot of searching i decided that a c6 base 12.8" blanks front setup and c6 base rear caliper with blank fbody rotors for the parking brake is best for my street goals. Im doing the swap because id like a little more stopping power, and the calipes and lines are the age of the car, and im not trying to mess with the bias too much. I will decide on pads later, but from searching ive seen a basic pad on the back and a good one on the front is recommended for fbodies. Have a few questions Before i buy this stuff. I plan on buying c5 front conversion brackets from someone.

1) where can i get front c6/c6 z51 calipers without corvette etched on them?
2) any recomendations on where i can get quality c6 reman calipers with or ithout letters?
3) napa has reman calipers that come with the abundment bracket, do i need c6 brackets for front and rear or do i use fbody bracket.....i rhink i use the c6 bracket with c6 caliper on the front wih the c5 conversion bracket, but completely unsure about the back.
4) read on corvette forum that for c6 calipers on the back, you must use fbody pads with c6 pad hardware kit for proper fitment.....can anyone confirm?

Last edited by Floorman279; 09-11-2016 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Stuff
Old 09-11-2016, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You need to do more searching.
First and foremost you do not want to run upgraded rear brakes, I don't think the C6 rear calipers will even fit the rear for these cars. If they did, or you did upgrade the brakes for the rear you can expect lockup and brake hop under heavy braking. These are front heavy solid axle cars with three link rear suspension, not sports cars with 50/50 weight balance and IRS. What works on a Corvette will not necessarily work on our cars.
Second, you are about to spend a bunch of money for little improvement for what you are looking for. Like saying you are buying a blower because you want a little extra power for street driving.
If you want to improve your braking for street driving you need PADS before anything else. Forget big brakes, forget shiny calipers, you need some good pads.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You need to do more searching.
First and foremost you do not want to run upgraded rear brakes, I don't think the C6 rear calipers will even fit the rear for these cars. If they did, or you did upgrade the brakes for the rear you can expect lockup and brake hop under heavy braking. These are front heavy solid axle cars with three link rear suspension, not sports cars with 50/50 weight balance and IRS. What works on a Corvette will not necessarily work on our cars.
Second, you are about to spend a bunch of money for little improvement for what you are looking for. Like saying you are buying a blower because you want a little extra power for street driving.
If you want to improve your braking for street driving you need PADS before anything else. Forget big brakes, forget shiny calipers, you need some good pads.
Ummmmm thought i explained myself but ill reword it......im not doing this for a ton of braking power. Im doing it too replace 16 year old calipers and hoses. I chose the c6 setup for the stronger caliper. I said i was doing c6 base rear caliper aka 12 inch rotor, 1 piston setup.......i believe you thought im talking about fixed caliper z06. JL9 C6 calipers are pretty much identical both front and rear to fbody besides strength, where the c6 are a good bit stronger. So im actually really not upgrading my rear brakes besides strength. Am i racing, no but id prefer to get a better casting caliper pair for an extra 150.

Plenty of people here have done a c5 upgrade and highly prefer it over 12 inch fronts. Im just doing a c5 front upgrade with a different caliper for slightly more money. That is a fairly safe and ls1tech approved corvette mod for our cars.

Quick Reply: Questions on my c6 brakes on fbody swap