Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stranos and Bilstein shocks 96 Z28 problem

Old 10-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stranos and Bilstein shocks 96 Z28 problem

Just wanted to get some input from others with LT1s running Stranos and Bilstein Level 2 shocks. I installed the shocks last year and had them paired with eibach sportlines, but I didn't like that I'd bottom out too much. I purchased the Strano springs and now my mechanic is telling me that the front Bilstein shocks are about 1 inch too long for the Strano front springs. Back springs will fit perfectly with the shocks. Has anyone had this problem before and if you have what shocks did you use for the front? Didn't think I would need different shocks for the back and the front in order to fit Stranos on there.

Thank you

Last edited by palutZ28; 10-06-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Quick update ... just spoke with the mechanic again and he just informed me that if he installs the back Strano springs my car would sit lower than it already does with the Sportlines. Does this sound right or should I just go to a different shop. I've seen Stranos on other camaros and they look perfect. The sportlines sag in the back
Old 10-06-2016, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's confusing that you were able to run the Eibach lowering springs, yet your mechanic says that the Strano springs are too short (Bilsteins being too long) to be paired with the Bilsteins? The only thing I can think of is if the threaded shaft on the front shocks are literally too long to be able to tighten down the shock/spring assembly with the Stranos... Which leads to why the Eibach lowering springs even worked in the first place...

I call and would You never know though, he could be right, but I would try a different shop. That's just me though.

But with the Stranos lowering the rear more than the Sportlines? Now that's hard to believe with all of the pictures on this forum of those springs sagging on member's personal cars. Although some don't sag though...

Does your mechanic have your old springs pulled out and was he comparing them side by side or something?
Old 10-06-2016, 10:21 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

.... Find a new mechanic

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-06-2016, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

^^^^^^Not all of em know what they're doing. That's why I do all of my work myself.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmr sales2
.... Find a new mechanic
​​​+1
Originally Posted by anotherws6
^^^^^^not all of em know what they're doing. That's why i do all of my work myself.
+2
Old 10-06-2016, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I'm definitely going to try another shop. I wasn't there when he took the front springs off but I know for a fact that the sportlines will lower the car the most. If he turns out to be right then I might just get Konis for the Stranos.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

As much as I'd be ok with selling you a Koni.... And that might be what you want to do for the best driving car you can have. But it's not what you need to do to install the springs. And he's not right about the height, not even close. Just google pics of cars on each spring and you'll see that clearly.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stranos and Bilstein shocks 96 Z28 problem