Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

$35 Electric Power Steering with Fail-Safe - No eBay module and no caster issues!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pacer1980
Waid,

Am attempting to install EPS on a smallish Mitsubishi tractor. I chose a 2011 Hyundai Sonata since you advised that unit was 'beefier'.

In doing a bench test I am using your hook-up example of the Soul for mine (and they are obviously differently wired) and I'm not getting anything - in the picture I am using the pink wire for on/off and the 2 big wires direct to battery. But I dont get anything!

Would another color wire possibly be for on/off? or?
On Kia Soul, the Ignition On Pin #1 is Pink Wire. The ECU box will click after about 5 sections after the +12V, Ground and Ignition On are connected. The best way to test is to remove the large motor and set it a side while power is connected to it. Lock the output shaft so it does not move. Slowly turn the input side in either direction and the large motor will turn.

On your unit I see some wires that are cut. What are they?

Waid
Old 02-25-2017, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Daz
For the Nissan Versa EPS, do the torque sensor wiring have to be hooked up for this to work ? I'm getting nothing ! My only guess would be the second pigtail coming from the motor is for the torque sensoring.
yes. See the picture. The ECU box will click after about 5 sections after the +12V, Ground and Ignition On are connected. The best way to test is to remove the large motor and set it a side while power is connected to it. Lock the output shaft so it does not move. Slowly turn the input side in either direction and the large motor will turn.
Attached Thumbnails  Electric Power Steering with Fail-Safe - No eBay module and no caster issues!!!-img_20170225_211226.jpg  
Old 03-03-2017, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not nearly as up on these things as waid but I might can help as I think I had a similar problem as you in that I didnt get one of my conx and as it turned out it was the one that had the 12v ign input. My unit is off a '14 Hyundai Sonata and I mounted it on a Mitsubishi tractor.

Go back to waids wiring diagrams and find the Prius and under G8 note the (rather dim) yellow highlighted #1, this is the ign on terminal and is likely to be very tiny. (mine was and consequently a bit of a pill to get a wire soldered to it) This conx and the 2 large wires out of P7 are all you should need.

I have to say I am unsure about grounding of the ECU 'body' I didnt see where waid mentioned that as being necessary. Mine is not and is mounted on fibre glass and it seems to be functioning well

The second. 'click' you are hearing on your ECU is most likely the unit 'kicking' back off meaning it doesnt have a proper conx.

Good luck!
Old 03-03-2017, 09:40 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waid786
yes. See the picture. The ECU box will click after about 5 sections after the +12V, Ground and Ignition On are connected. The best way to test is to remove the large motor and set it a side while power is connected to it. Lock the output shaft so it does not move. Slowly turn the input side in either direction and the large motor will turn.
Ok, thanks ! I tried making my own makeshift harness putting the wires in the appropriate places to no avail. It almost seems like the steering ecu box is dead. The motor works I know for sure. I tried looking for a Versa in the jun yard today but only came across a '15 Versa. I took the ecu box out of it but the torque sensor wire connectors are different plus I don't know what would be ignition pin.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Default Great Video!!

For early cars with collapsible steering columns
great video

Eric 😀
Old 03-05-2017, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Your Torque Sensor is not connected to the ECU - P10 connector!

The ECU is faulting out since it is not reading the output from the Torque Sensor on P10. Prius ECU does not use VSS directly and works with Prius CAN BUS. Therefore, wiht out CAN BUS, it will default to a preset fail-safe level of fixed assist.

Waid
Attached Thumbnails  Electric Power Steering with Fail-Safe - No eBay module and no caster issues!!!-10-27-2016-1-39-59-pm.jpg  

Last edited by waid786; 03-05-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Yes 3 wires but you still need to connect the EPS to the ECU. The Torque Sensor tell the the ECU which way you are turning and how fast. It's a must.

You can get the power plug from http://www.epowersteering.com/

http://www.epowersteering.com/purcha...ug-for-gm-eps/
Old 03-06-2017, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Default A different application for using an EPAS (thanks waid!)

This is a bit OT, but I thought some of you might get some info/inspiration from it....

I have posted a couple times for information on this thread re using one of waids EPAS $35 units (electric power assist steering) for a 4wd Mitsubishi tractor with a front loader. These things are a bear to steer especially if the bucket is loaded.

Obviously a tractor is totally different from a car but there are a lot of different designs on a car/truck/off road, etc etc, so my install may give some insights.

I chose a unit off a '14 Hyundai Sonata based on waids recommendation as it is a good bit 'beefier' version. The steering shaft on the tractor was very short and the motor just fit between the box and steer wheel. Then bracing it was a challenge for the same reason - lack of space & hold down points. Next was being able to get the wiring worked around the motor, then I had to find a mounting point for the ECU and had to extend the numerous very small wires by about 8-10 inches to reach a mount point! Getting familiarized with the workings of one of these things was also hurdle (Here again waids utubes and pics was invaluable!) I have to say that at times it was frustrating!! But in the end it turned out GREAT!! I pretty quickly went an got a bucket of dirt and drove around and it was amazing the difference!.
Attached Thumbnails  Electric Power Steering with Fail-Safe - No eBay module and no caster issues!!!-img_3469.jpg    Electric Power Steering with Fail-Safe - No eBay module and no caster issues!!!-img_3470.jpg    Electric Power Steering with Fail-Safe - No eBay module and no caster issues!!!-img_3471.jpg    Electric Power Steering with Fail-Safe - No eBay module and no caster issues!!!-img_3472.jpg  
Old 03-06-2017, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Good deal. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-07-2017, 09:24 AM

Great forum. I installed a nissan versa in my mustang. I'm having an issue with it. When I turn right it is smooth but when I turn left I feel like I'm fighting it. I removed the output shaft and I noticed that the steering wheel keeps turning to the right. Cool the ecu be defective? One thing I did do is i initially connected the ignition wire to the pink one and then the blue wire. And finally I connected to the correct wire. Do you know why does it keep spinning right? Thank you
Old 03-07-2017, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Dont know if this will help but ---

I started out trying the Saturn Vue units - 4 of them in fact - and they had the same problem. What made it so bad was I had successfully installed one on my Wheel Horse garden tractor! I wanted then to get one on the Mitsubishi and started running into this prob. So I wrote the guy in Portugal and he responded that there was a potentiometer in the ECU that this adjusted -- and in fact the pot would affect it to a degree. I could get it to stop the clockwise rotation but it would shut the unit down??

Along about then I ran across waids you tube videos and then a link here on this site and after reading his info I decided to abandon the Vue and go with his recommendations.

You might try opening the ECU up and see if there is some pots - The Vue had 3 and the #1 controlled this. The Vue was VERY sensitive and the slightest turn would affect the rotation.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by pacer1980
Dont know if this will help but ---

I started out trying the Saturn Vue units - 4 of them in fact - and they had the same problem. What made it so bad was I had successfully installed one on my Wheel Horse garden tractor! I wanted then to get one on the Mitsubishi and started running into this prob. So I wrote the guy in Portugal and he responded that there was a potentiometer in the ECU that this adjusted -- and in fact the pot would affect it to a degree. I could get it to stop the clockwise rotation but it would shut the unit down??

Along about then I ran across waids you tube videos and then a link here on this site and after reading his info I decided to abandon the Vue and go with his recommendations.

You might try opening the ECU up and see if there is some pots - The Vue had 3 and the #1 controlled this. The Vue was VERY sensitive and the slightest turn would affect the rotation.
so I should open the box to the Nissan versa and check to see if there is something inside that I need to fix?
Old 03-07-2017, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Alex Limon
I removed the output shaft and I noticed that the steering wheel keeps turning to the right.
So with the output shaft disconnected, the steering wheel is moving by it self to the right ?

Waid
Old 03-07-2017, 08:38 PM

So with the output shaft disconnected, the steering wheel is moving by it self to the right ?

Waid
yes with the output shaft disconnected the wheel keeps turning to the right when I turn the ignition on
Old 03-07-2017, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

With ignition off, move the steering wheel all the way lock to lock turn several times and see if anything changes. The EPS are similar to hydraulic. If it fails you can still steer it manually.

Check your torque sensor wires and see if they are damaged or not.

It appears that the steering wheel pre-loaded one way or might have been damaged when you mis-wired it.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:15 PM

With ignition off, move the steering wheel all the way lock to lock turn several times and see if anything changes. The EPS are similar to hydraulic. If it fails you can still steer it manually.

Check your torque sensor wires and see if they are damaged or not.

It appears that the steering wheel pre-loaded one way or might have been damaged when you mis-wired it.
would it be the ECU box or the torque sensor?
Old 03-07-2017, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Alex Limon
would it be the ECU box or the torque sensor?
I turned the steering wheel to the left a few times around and to the right a few times around and I still have no luck.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

I wondering if you damaged the ECU when you mis-wired it first time.

Waid
Old 03-08-2017, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Going back to the Saturns ECU I was using and adjusting the rotation on the motor.

The Saturn unit was doing the exact same thing, only going in a clockwise rotation, and I found out from the guy in Portugal about adjusting it. The ECU is made by Koyo and I would imagine yours is also -- and very possibly is very similar in design. There are 3 potentiometers and the bottom one (No 1) controlled that motion. Again, only the slightest movement is needed to affect movement. (see the picture)

I would suggest taking the motor & ECU off and get it set up on the bench. Hooking everything up on the bench, get it to the point where the motor runs. Remove the cover from the ECU - the Saturn had 4 tabs that were bent to release the metal cover, yours may be slighty different. Find the potentiometers and see if numbered and try adjusting #1. (IIRC turning it - slightly! - clockwise would stop the rotation), -- If it stops and doesnt shut off the ECU then that should correct the problem -- hopefully!! (but on mine it would stop and after 3-5 seconds would 'click' and it would shut off which I could never find a correction for that.)
Attached Thumbnails  Electric Power Steering with Fail-Safe - No eBay module and no caster issues!!!-2017-03-08_9-54-17.jpg  
Old 03-12-2017, 06:08 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Is there for pinout for a 2014 versa ecu box ?

Quick Reply: $35 Electric Power Steering with Fail-Safe - No eBay module and no caster issues!!!