Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

$35 Electric Power Steering with Fail-Safe - No eBay module and no caster issues!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tip

there has to be resistance on the steering column or the sensor doesn't recognize it's being turned. Hold both ends and try again the motor should move. I had this issue also,
Old 05-03-2017, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Daz
Is there for pinout for a 2014 versa ecu box ?
The 2014 Versa ECU looks identical to the Nissan Cube. Chances are the Ignition On might be same pin. The Torque Sensor and other power cables only goes only one way.

Waid
Old 06-16-2017, 12:06 PM
KG2
Teching In

Default Hopeful for some incite...

I would like to thank Waid for all his generous sharing on many levels to open up new possibilities for low cost EPS solutions for the DIYer's on a budget. I have yet another unique application of adding some form of EPS towards reduced effort steering & I am hoping for incite from the more experienced.
I am a C5,6 quadriplegic due to a Spinal cord injury from a motorcycle accident in '80. I was able to drive again in '87 by modifying a '86 E150 Ford Van which included reducing steering effort by having a needle valve modified in my steering box. I was able to drive up until 2014 until I started to experience weakness in my right arm which required a surgery for some stenosis I had on my C5 nerve to the right arm & gratefully I was able to drive another 3 years. Now however, I am experiencing just enough further weakness that I barely can turn wheel in certain positions at it's current resistance level.
It occurred to me that if I simply inserted a EPS into the equation I might be able to safely drive for perhaps a few more years?
Where I am a little uncertain is having the EPS on top of my reduced effort power steering?
While this would be the simplest solution for me are there some other considerations I should be aware of?
​​​​​
Any thoughts based on others experience with EPS? I am basically hoping to achieve almost zero effort steering....

Thank you!
Old 06-20-2017, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Awesome
Old 07-11-2017, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KG2
I would like to thank Waid for all his generous sharing on many levels to open up new possibilities for low cost EPS solutions for the DIYer's on a budget. I have yet another unique application of adding some form of EPS towards reduced effort steering & I am hoping for incite from the more experienced.
I am a C5,6 quadriplegic due to a Spinal cord injury from a motorcycle accident in '80. I was able to drive again in '87 by modifying a '86 E150 Ford Van which included reducing steering effort by having a needle valve modified in my steering box. I was able to drive up until 2014 until I started to experience weakness in my right arm which required a surgery for some stenosis I had on my C5 nerve to the right arm & gratefully I was able to drive another 3 years. Now however, I am experiencing just enough further weakness that I barely can turn wheel in certain positions at it's current resistance level.
It occurred to me that if I simply inserted a EPS into the equation I might be able to safely drive for perhaps a few more years?
Where I am a little uncertain is having the EPS on top of my reduced effort power steering?
While this would be the simplest solution for me are there some other considerations I should be aware of?
​​​​​
Any thoughts based on others experience with EPS? I am basically hoping to achieve almost zero effort steering....

Thank you!

Perhaps keeping hydraulic steering with addition of EPS. However, the steering may feel very sloppy but may work. Not sure.

Waid
Old 07-30-2017, 11:11 PM
KG2
Teching In

Default Yes that could be a real consideration

Thanks Waid for bringing this up, extra play could very well be a problem.
I have a tolerable amount of now in my hydraulic system but if the EPS brings in its own extra play on top of that, it would only be amplified further with my hydraulic play.
How much natural play exists in the EPS systems you been testing? Does it feel similar to a stock hydraulic system or is it tighter? Is there any provision to adjust the level of play to have less movent in anyway?
If I went back to a manual non hydraulic steering system & used only the EPS, is there a EPS system that is capable of being adjusted to a point that steering could be "0" effort?
For example, if the EPS system you used on your Ford project was in a more active mode than failsafe, could that make a significant difference?
I realize most able body individuals will prefer some resistance, so not sure how realistic it maybe that a factory system would be able to be adjustable to such a point. I guess I can only ask what others personal experiences have been with lighting up a adjustable EPS system?

Thank you

KG
Old 08-27-2017, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Daz
Is there for pinout for a 2014 versa ecu box ?
I have a 2014 now and will post the pin out and result.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KG2
Thanks Waid for bringing this up, extra play could very well be a problem.
I have a tolerable amount of now in my hydraulic system but if the EPS brings in its own extra play on top of that, it would only be amplified further with my hydraulic play.
How much natural play exists in the EPS systems you been testing? Does it feel similar to a stock hydraulic system or is it tighter? Is there any provision to adjust the level of play to have less movent in anyway?
If I went back to a manual non hydraulic steering system & used only the EPS, is there a EPS system that is capable of being adjusted to a point that steering could be "0" effort?
For example, if the EPS system you used on your Ford project was in a more active mode than failsafe, could that make a significant difference?
I realize most able body individuals will prefer some resistance, so not sure how realistic it maybe that a factory system would be able to be adjustable to such a point. I guess I can only ask what others personal experiences have been with lighting up a adjustable EPS system?

Thank you

KG
You can just have manual switch to cut ignition signal to the EPS which will turn it off with zero assist. You will still be able to steer in manual mode.

Waid
Old 08-28-2017, 12:31 PM
KG2
Teching In

Default Thanks!

Thanks Waid, that is good to know just in case.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

I didn't read the whole thread but am I correct in that this mod takes a manual rack and gives it the feel of power steering without the need to have all the power steering components? This works for a 4th gen? Total cost?
Old 08-29-2017, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
I didn't read the whole thread but am I correct in that this mod takes a manual rack and gives it the feel of power steering without the need to have all the power steering components? This works for a 4th gen? Total cost?
Bingo!

I have manual rack in my Falcon with Electric Power Steering Column! You will have to do some fab work and can be done for less than $200. I did it far cheaper

Waid
Old 08-29-2017, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd be curious to see how these hold up compared to a conventional rack and pump with fluid, especially in a road racing environment. Are they less susceptible to overheating since there is no fluid to get hot or are they more because it seems that they are just an electric assist motor.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by StoneColdLT1
I'd be curious to see how these hold up compared to a conventional rack and pump with fluid, especially in a road racing environment. Are they less susceptible to overheating since there is no fluid to get hot or are they more because it seems that they are just an electric assist motor.
I don't know any new car that is hydraulic steering anymore. Even the current Camaro's and Corvettes have Electric Steer (Rack assisted).

Waid
Old 08-31-2017, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by waid786
I don't know any new car that is hydraulic steering anymore. Even the current Camaro's and Corvettes have Electric Steer (Rack assisted).

Waid
Very true, but just because it's the new standard for auto manufactures doesn't mean it's more reliable or less susceptible to overheating or failure, especially in a racing application. One of the reasons they're starting to use EPS is because of the 1/4MPG savings they get from not having to turn a HPS pump, it's also probably easier/cheaper to install on the assembly line.

I'm not taking anything away from EPS, I'm just wondering how it would compare in an aftermarket world on the racetrack to a traditional HPS system.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

And because technology....

EPS is new and fancy which is what a lot of people want. Low steering effort in their daily drivers.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:08 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty2919
And because technology....

EPS is new and fancy which is what a lot of people want. Low steering effort in their daily drivers.
Or adjustable steering effort. I have my 2013 Mustang on the heaviest setting.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Default corolla eps help!!!

can you help me , I recently bought a unit of a toyota corrolla 995-12500 and buy the ucu 89650-12850 but it does not work connected according to the diagrasmas of waid, the ecu makes a click sound but it still does not work and where I live it is very difficult to find this type of parts, corolla eps unit will work with a toyota yaris ecu 89650-52050?, I check all the connections, wires and voltages everything seems to be OK except the pin 5 of the p10 connector which should have between 7.5 vol and 8.5 volt but not the has, this could be the cause of non-operation of the system this system I need to adapt it to a vehicle of a disabled person, please I need your help
Old 10-27-2017, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Post some pictures here and let me see what you have.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Angry photos eps corolla

Originally Posted by waid786
Post some pictures here and let me see what you have.

try several times to upload the photos you asked me but they will not let me upload them

will try in html
Old 10-31-2017, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

So if you do not take the unit apart to cut the valve sleeve off/grind the pin down/weld the shaft will you still have steering if you lose power to the motor and or motor fails?

IMO, the only way I would do this is if I would have manual steering if anything happens to the EPS motor.

I would be curious to see how the steering feels with this mod. For us LT1 guys that race, aftermarket power steering pumps are becoming harder to find. I'd be worried the steering feels numb. But if numb steering still means I can have a robust steering system then I'm all for it.

Quick Reply: $35 Electric Power Steering with Fail-Safe - No eBay module and no caster issues!!!