Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano Performance 4 Piston/12.8" rotor brake kits starting @ $999.00

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 08:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Strano Performance 4 Piston/12.8" rotor brake kits starting @ $999.00

We are offering a few different kits. You can choose between a kit with StopTech blank rotors, or StopTech Slotted rotors. And you can also pick between Red or Black brake calipers.

All kits come with Calipers, Stainless Lines, Brake pads, Mounting brackets and Rotors. You only need tools, some brake fluid (we can supply various types) and maybe some wheel spacers depending on your particular wheels. **YOU have to take a few measurements which are VERY simple. I can help you through it so we can see what we need for these to work.

The pictures below, some show the kit on the '98 SS I picked up with the stock 17x9" 5 spoke SS wheels which have no curve in the spokes. And I have to run some spacer and I can help you figure out which size you need for your wheels. And we have spacers, Slip on, Eibach and H&R hubcentrics as well!!!!

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=269&ModelID=7 $999.00
This is the kit you see pics of below.

We also have this kit, which is the same but has SLOTTED rotors:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...69&PartID=1357 $1199.00

And we have the calipers in RED as well as BLACK. This is my car and I prefer Black.

So I'm sure some are asking why should you buy this vs. a set of Wilwood's full production BBK's? Bang for the buck is much higher here. Those kits cost quite a bit more and brake lines are a required and extra charge. We include them. Replacement rotors here are in expensive and readily available. AND these are directionally vaned as well. We also have a large assortment of pads available for these from various companies in both street and RACE compounds. And the the pads are INEXPENSIVE. Cheaper than similar compound Corvette or F-body pads.

Basically this is a better setup than the twin piston calipers the LS1 F-body AND Corvettes use. This applies pressure to both front pads and the result is a firmer pedal, more stopping power, and better brake pad wear.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-25-2016, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Sam, I've thought about upgrading to your kit/calipers on my C5 brake converted F-body. I have the same wheels (i believe they're actually 17x9.5, the black reproduction ZR1 wheels) but i don't have extended studs, could i get away without them?

not sure what spacers you have on them but it looks like there is a ton of room.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You need about 32mm or roughly 1.25" from the mounting pad of the wheel to the back of the spokes. I would be happy to talk to you about what I use and can supply that setup too, and they include long studs too. BTW, no matter what wheel it likely has the size stamped in the back on one of the spokes. They could be 9" or 9.5" depending on if they are a Camaro or a Corvette replica. The latter is more likely.

Also, if you have a C5 conversion already, then you'd be spending even less as you should have caliper brackets for the C5 cage and caliper.

Call me, we can talk about what you have and what you'd need to complete this.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-29-2016, 04:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Really awesome kit, seems almost comparable to the CTS-V Brembo upgrades that have been going on here and if I hadn't have already done mine I probably would have went this route given the homework was already done here.

I was going to request something if it was okay.
For the wheel fitment over the caliper measurements you confirm (regardless if it will or will not clear) - would you be willing to post your findings in the thread I created as just to keep an organized directory for members to look at and understand what wheels will and will not fit certain calipers? Its no biggie if you don't of course, its just the wheel fitment and brake fitment concerns are scattered all over the forum so its hard to gauge what will and wont fit.
The thread is here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...come-here.html

Good luck otherwise.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam,
I have GM 5 spoke SS wheels, similar to your car. What type and size spacer would you recommend?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2016, 01:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Happy to help you with spacers, but there are costs and time involved on my end to figure such things out. That's the cost of R&Ding things, so I just can't spill it on the internet. Already too many folks borrowing information on items around here lately.

If you want to talk spacers, I have a few options available that can be sent with the brakes. If you don't have the brakes you don't need the spacer.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

I'm really interested in these. I know you said you can't give out a lot of info but what are we looking at in terms of distance from caliper to the wheel on those 17s? I know it was a freak thing but I saw recently in the CTSV 17 inch rim thread one of the sliders coming loose and destroying the rim, that is some scary ****. But what put me off was how close the caliper was to the inside of the rim, almost touching.

So is it possible you could get a picture behind the wheel to see what kind of clearance there is? I would assume it would be a decent amount since the CTS V is a 14 inch rotor and this is a 12.8. You can see from your picture there should be good amount of clearance but the angle is messing me up. As long as its not this.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I can't get that picture, not going to be pulling the assembly off the car. But I run 12.8" rotors not 14", so that right there gains you .6" of room even if the Wilwood caliper were as bulky as the CTS-V Brembo. It's not.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Just measured. From the center of the hub to the furthest out point on the caliper is 7.25" You'd want a little wiggle room there, say 7.5". Again with the 14" rotor used in the picture posted (the drilled rotor, looks like a C6Z which I also own) the outer edge of the rotor alone is 7" out from the hub center.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Just measured. From the center of the hub to the furthest out point on the caliper is 7.25" You'd want a little wiggle room there, say 7.5". Again with the 14" rotor used in the picture posted (the drilled rotor, looks like a C6Z which I also own) the outer edge of the rotor alone is 7" out from the hub center.
Okay thank you for taking measurements. That gives me peace of mind that it won't come in contact. I'm putting together my parts list today for my build and I'm going to try to fit these in my budget. Thank you again, I really appreciate it
Old 11-01-2016, 04:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Sure no problem it was in the air anyway ungoing some other parts swapping.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:03 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

This is excellent, Sam. I have Billet Specialities Street Lites 17x9.5 with a 7" BS. They are very close to the stock F-Body PBR caliper. But I could push them out .5" with a spacer. Would these fit within the space of a stock caliper + .5" of clearance? If so, some red calipers and slotted rotors may be the way to go...
Old 12-17-2016, 12:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Sam, you just know how to take my money don't you! I'll be ordering some suspension stuff in the next few weeks and then I'll save up for this brake kit, maybe red calipers with slotted rotors like JakeFusion is thinking of . . .
Old 12-17-2016, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Already too many folks borrowing information on items around here lately.
I thought that's what this place was for aside from that, nice kits, I'm surprised nobody got these together sooner.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I thought that's what this place was for aside from that, nice kits, I'm surprised nobody got these together sooner.
I too would like these calipers, however I don't want to cut my spindle, removing the lower caliper mount, to bolt on the c5/c6 vette brake caliper bracket . That's my deterrent
Old 12-17-2016, 02:24 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Is that needed with these? To cut the spindle?
Old 12-17-2016, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Cutting caliper ears off a spindle with a 4.5" grinder would be cake, and getting another set from the junkyard in the event you needed some wouldnt be hard either.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Is that needed with these? To cut the spindle?

"***Installation of brackets on both LT1 and LS1 spindles requires simple modification which can be done while the spindle is on the car. A small amount of cutting and grinding is needed, LS1 models require less cutting than LT1 models. Instructions are included. "

Pics here too
http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=158
Old 12-28-2016, 02:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Been out of town, sorry for the delay. I'm still out of town in fact but was going through some email and saw a response so here I am.

Surprised nobody put this together. Well, what can I say? I do Corvette work so know about the calipers. I work with UMI and use and sell their brackets. I sell brake pads for the calipers. I sell brake rotors for Corvettes too, I know what works and what does not, well. I also had to find just the right brake line kit to work, which took some doing and I destroyed a set testing some that were too long. Could you piece such a kit together on your own? yes. But you won't save much doing so and you will spend a lot of time doing it, and have less access to things I know, like what other pads exists and work well with those calipers, for various uses. Hint. Wilwood makes lots, there are others I prefer for a lot of instances.

Fitment. Again, I run these on my car. I can tell you how much room is needed with the wheels. Can't now, I'm not near my car. I am 2700 miles from it.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Update:

I get a lot of questions about what offset wheels fit with these brakes. Sadly the offset in and of itself is not the only factor. In fact it's not even the biggest factor.

What matters MOST are the spokes on the wheel. If you take your wheel face down and put a straightedge on the hub you need no less than 39mm of depth left for the caliper to fit.

Some wheels have spokes that are straight, some curve. And now the spokes attach (or where) differs greatly on many. This is not offset, there is no standard measure for this. I know that the wheels we use most, like Forgestar F14 and CF5's work with plenty of room. My Camaro SS 17x9's require some spacer to fit due to their straight spokes and the mounting pad to spoke location.

This kit is killer. You can't get a better kit that just works. This is not like the setups guys cobble together using Gen 5 Camaro SS rotors. Which by the way, need the hub holes bored out AND are actually a slightly different bolt pattern @ 5x120, vs. the 4th gen and Corvette 5x120.65 pattern.

This is a known quality caliper, with Stainless Steel lines, brake pads, and uses rotors that are easy to source and inexpensive. I also use this kit on my own car. There is video of it. Brake pads are far more cost effective and street and very high end race pads exist for them too.

Quick Reply: Strano Performance 4 Piston/12.8" rotor brake kits starting @ $999.00