Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Releases New Product: Panhard Bar Lowering/Leveling Kit for the 1982-2002 F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The location of the bolts. A straight brace cuts into exhaust clearance.
What's the concern with moving the passenger side mount location down with a custom bracket in order to use a straight tube, such as this?

Old 02-05-2018, 03:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I don't think that is the example you want to use. Who welded that? Popcorn Bob?

it's not indicative of how real, not boogered up exhausts fit.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
The following 2 users liked this post by Sam Strano:
RedWS6 00 (08-07-2024), wannafbody (08-01-2024)
Old 08-28-2018, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couple of questions, I will be purchasing the upgrade kit as I already have the phb relocation to clear my over the axle true duals and my car is lowered on Voghtland sprins with Strano Bilsteins and I have an S60 also. Where is the best setting when drag racing and what's the best for daily street driving thanks?
Old 08-28-2018, 04:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
What's the concern with moving the passenger side mount location down with a custom bracket in order to use a straight tube, such as this?

And the concern about moving the right side of the brace down means you have to move the right side of the PHB down, and unless you have the full kit that also moves the left side down so you can level the PHB out again, you are simply causing more and more asymmetry in the system. And the whole time you are lowering the roll center too. You might want it low but if you don't, (and mine isn't that low) you get stuck.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 08-30-2018, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't think that is the example you want to use. Who welded that? Popcorn Bob?

it's not indicative of how real, not boogered up exhausts fit.
And the concern about moving the right side of the brace down means you have to move the right side of the PHB down, and unless you have the full kit that also moves the left side down so you can level the PHB out again, you are simply causing more and more asymmetry in the system. And the whole time you are lowering the roll center too. You might want it low but if you don't, (and mine isn't that low) you get stuck.
That would be mine from many years ago, and yes the exhaust and the welds are ugly, but they hold. I replaced the exhaust a long time ago with one I built myself as referenced in the "Setup opinions" thread that you were also active in.

It is a an Unbalanced Engineering kit that lowers both sides and is perfectly parallel to the ground on my car. Sure its not adjustable but I have dialed in the springs and sway to my liking and as poor of a driver as I am, I have passed or kept up with my fair share or "fast" cars on the track. The upper brace is something I made out of a straight piece of DOM that I could have mounted lower to give even more clearance than the previous 2.5" dual OTA or the current 3.5" single pipe, which was Jim's question, about straight brace that can still fit big exhaust.

Maybe I should make a few and sell them since nobody else has, and I'll call them ugly sticks in honor of the booger welds! But Jim and I are apparently the only ones that want one anyway so if you want Jim, I got you

Last edited by mikedamageinc; 08-30-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97Z28SS
Couple of questions, I will be purchasing the upgrade kit as I already have the phb relocation to clear my over the axle true duals and my car is lowered on Voghtland sprins with Strano Bilsteins and I have an S60 also. Where is the best setting when drag racing and what's the best for daily street driving thanks?
If you already have the panhard bar relocation kit I recommend just getting the leveling bracket- http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...oducts_id=1036

If you concern is street driving and drag racing this would be best. I don't see much height adjustment being needed for that type of use.

I hope that helps,
Old 08-01-2024, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this thread is ancient now and this is a shot in the dark but... I'm moving along with removing the existing hardware to install UMI's 2062 PHB Relocation / leveling kit. I'm wondering what others have done about the exhaust heat shield that uses the factory PHB brace as a mount point in two places? I'd rather not remove it unless it's absolutely necessary.
Old 08-06-2024, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Paradis711LS1
I know this thread is ancient now and this is a shot in the dark but... I'm moving along with removing the existing hardware to install UMI's 2062 PHB Relocation / leveling kit. I'm wondering what others have done about the exhaust heat shield that uses the factory PHB brace as a mount point in two places? I'd rather not remove it unless it's absolutely necessary.
I removed mine, but I also have the exhaust dumped in front of the axle now.
Can't remember now, but would it stay in position without those 2 small screws?

Quick Reply: UMI Releases New Product: Panhard Bar Lowering/Leveling Kit for the 1982-2002 F-Body