Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I have a potentially stupid question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 02:25 PM
STF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I have a potentially stupid question...

I am hopefully putting some BMR springs and Hal shocks on my car this weekend. Am I going to need an alignment right away? Or can I wait a few days?
Old 06-23-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you visualize your front suspension, the geometry is such that as the suspension's range of motion goes up, it adds negative camber. And wiht positive caster, it will add toe as well.

When you lower the ride height of the car, you, in effect, remove suspension travel and the suspension's normal range of motion is shortened.

So, your camber and toe will be different than it was under normal, stock, previous ride height.

Is it an issue? Many times not. More negative camber and less toe actually make the car handle better.

HTH
Old 06-23-2004, 03:16 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by mitchntx
If you visualize your front suspension, the geometry is such that as the suspension's range of motion goes up, it adds negative camber. And wiht positive caster, it will add toe as well.

When you lower the ride height of the car, you, in effect, remove suspension travel and the suspension's normal range of motion is shortened.

So, your camber and toe will be different than it was under normal, stock, previous ride height.

Is it an issue? Many times not. More negative camber and less toe actually make the car handle better.

HTH
Thanks!
Old 06-24-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Agreed, but you should at least have it checked within a few days of the swap.

Quick Reply: I have a potentially stupid question...