Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rollbar/cage questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 03:32 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rollbar/cage questions.

1. Is installing a weld-in thats jig notched easier, harder, or about the same as a bolt-in?
2. Whats better, a bolt-in or weld-in?
3. Does a weld-in allow you to run faster than you would if you had it bolted in?
4. It seems that the side bars come standard with a slant and have the free option of getting them straight, if they have a slant in them to make getting in and out a little easier, are swing outs necessary?
5. Why would anyone want the straight style side bars?
6. Are the standard slant bars designed pretty well so that you can get in and out fairly easy?
7. Whats better, the standard rear bars, or the over the rear seat option?
8. On the standard rear bars, do you have to cut holes into those rear panels?
9. Is says that the tank must be removed for the over the rear bar option, is removing the tank difficult?

Im almost set on what exactly I need to order, but the 2 main things I havent decided on are whether or not to get swing outs, and if I should just get the standard rear bars or over the seat rear option.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>> 1. Is installing a weld-in thats jig notched easier, harder, or about the same as a bolt-in?

Depends on application, bolt-in is usually easier because it's just that, bolt-in.

>> 2. Whats better, a bolt-in or weld-in?

Weld in is stronger in most cases if done right.

>> 3. Does a weld-in allow you to run faster than you would if you had it bolted in?

Don't know.

>>4. It seems that the side bars come standard with a slant and have the free option of getting them straight, if they have a slant in them to make getting in and out a little easier, are swing outs necessary?

Personal preference. If the slant ones are ok for you, you don't need to pop for the swing in...however...

>> 5. Why would anyone want the straight style side bars?

They are stronger in a collision since there is no bend in the bar. Whether or not that will make a difference in various crashes is debatable, but physics are not. <g>

>> 6. Are the standard slant bars designed pretty well so that you can get in and out fairly easy?

They are supposed to be, but who knows.

>> 7. Whats better, the standard rear bars, or the over the rear seat option?

Not sure what you're talking about here, sorry...

>> 8. On the standard rear bars, do you have to cut holes into those rear panels?

Ditto,

>> 9. Is says that the tank must be removed for the over the rear bar option, is removing the tank difficult?

Don't know, can't be that time consuming.

>> Im almost set on what exactly I need to order, but the 2 main things I havent decided on are whether or not to get swing outs, and if I should just get the standard rear bars or over the seat rear option.

IMO swing outs that are straight would be 'safer' than solid bar with bends, and be easier access, but that all depends on the hinges used for swing outs...if they are proven joints, they will go a long way in an impact, however I don't know about class rules or requirements so you might want to check that too. Hope this helps if you have not purchased already, sorry I couldn't help more maybe someone else has done this too good luck.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a wolfe 6 pt bolt in with the over the seat bars. I say get the swing outs or do what I am doing and modify a non swing out. I also suggest the over the seat option and not through the speakers. I think it looks cleaner plus you don't loose your speakers. If you were closer I would let you take a look at mine.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/185139-rollbar-cage-questions.html
Old 07-12-2004, 08:04 PM
9 Second Club NA

SSICK: If you notice the date of the thread, it was a while back that I made it. I forgot about it because no one had responded to it. I do remember having the one you posted about. Ive got all the info that I need now and have found answers to all my questions. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2001SS#3013
I also suggest the over the seat option and not through the speakers. I think it looks cleaner plus you don't loose your speakers.
I really liked the Wolfe design, but did not like the bars going through the speaker grills. My remedy was to purchase a set of earlier model trim panels that did not have the rear speaker provisions. I was able to cut the holes in these panels for the roll bars, and I was able to relocate my monsoon speakers to the rear of the new panels. The set up looks like it came from the factory, nice and clean.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:00 PM
9 Second Club NA

One question that I havent found the answer to is if you can get the over the rear seat option with a bolt-in kit?
Old 07-13-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Look at my post.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:16 PM
9 Second Club NA

Thanks! I totally forgot about your post. I find myself forgetting whats been posted. I appreciate it. By the way, was it hard dropping the gas tank?
Old 07-13-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Actually I just have it sitting in the car right now. Haven't had time to bolt it in.