Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New Item: Strano Performance Parts Master Cylinder Brace for all 93-02 cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 03:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

both front legs would have to be modified quite a bit. And even at that I'm not 100% sure it would work given how the Hotchkis brace mounts. And to be quite honest you'd have so much work involved it's not worth it. If you want the brake brace, then I'd either remove the Hotchkis STB and if you want to have one, replace it with a UMI that's under $100. Or just remove the Hotchkis brace period and sell it off.

I'm sure you can cover the cost of a UMI by flipping the Hotchkis, leaving you with a STB and the Brake brace both, without modifying anything at all. And note that I'm not saying you have to even buy another STB, that's up to you.

The issue is pretty simple. At this point the Hotchkis is the the only STB we've had a problem with in terms of no way will it work. There is not a market case to redesign the brake brace for the few cars that run that particular brand of brace. It's not an uncommon thing in the aftermarket. They opted to make their STB that way, but nobody else does. I opted to make the brake brace the way that suits the most folks, which is why I spent more to include the spacer to run it without any STB even though it cost a little more.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-23-2017, 01:05 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Posted to the Strano Performance Parts - Sam Strano Facebook page. Made my night:

"Christopher Robin Ok, folks, I just installed mine and I have to tell you: this thing is the REAL DEAL! To say this little gizmo firms up the brake pedal is an understatement if ever there was! I am blown away by how well this brace works.

Sam... you have created something great here, my friend!

I've already heard some whining on some of the forums about the price of this brace, but it is worth every penny... and Sam Strano is worthy of our support! He has stayed true to the 4th Gen hobby and approachable by 4th Gen enthusiasts, even as so many other prominent companies have shuttered their 4th Gen divisions and stop producing parts, choosing instead to move on to support newer platforms. I wouldn't even make an attempt to count up the hours this man and his company have spent providing assistance, guidance and expertise to those of us in the hobby. You NEED this part for your 4th Gen and Sam needs the support of the community he so graciously supports.

I'm telling you, this brace ranks up there with skip-shift elimination, short-throw shifters, and subframe connectors for 4th Gen "must-have" mods. You will NOT be disappointed!'"

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-23-2017, 05:13 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm just happy to see someone is still making NEW parts for the 4th gens after all these years that makes them better.

I wonder if the clutch master cylinder moves that much as well, might be something to look into.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. I had no idea this was even and issue
2. I was preparing to buy stainless steel brake lines
3. Shame on GM for making a **** design..yet again
4. Shame that this is the only solution.
5. Kudos to Strano for coming up with something to address the problem

I am just going to use a big C-Clamp attached to my UMI strut bar, but first I am going to have it powder coated red. If you believe that I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I'm just happy to see someone is still making NEW parts for the 4th gens after all these years that makes them better.

I wonder if the clutch master cylinder moves that much as well, might be something to look into.
I'm sure it does flex, but due to the angle it's mounted it may not be as drastic

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
1. I had no idea this was even and issue
2. I was preparing to buy stainless steel brake lines
3. Shame on GM for making a **** design..yet again
4. Shame that this is the only solution.
5. Kudos to Strano for coming up with something to address the problem

I am just going to use a big C-Clamp attached to my UMI strut bar, but first I am going to have it powder coated red. If you believe that I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.
Majority if not all vehicles have firewall flex from brake and clutch master cylinders.

Numerous other vehicle platforms have aftermarket support, similar to this design, to help the issue.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
both front legs would have to be modified quite a bit. And even at that I'm not 100% sure it would work given how the Hotchkis brace mounts. And to be quite honest you'd have so much work involved it's not worth it. If you want the brake brace, then I'd either remove the Hotchkis STB and if you want to have one, replace it with a UMI that's under $100. Or just remove the Hotchkis brace period and sell it off.

I'm sure you can cover the cost of a UMI by flipping the Hotchkis, leaving you with a STB and the Brake brace both, without modifying anything at all. And note that I'm not saying you have to even buy another STB, that's up to you.

The issue is pretty simple. At this point the Hotchkis is the the only STB we've had a problem with in terms of no way will it work. There is not a market case to redesign the brake brace for the few cars that run that particular brand of brace. It's not an uncommon thing in the aftermarket. They opted to make their STB that way, but nobody else does. I opted to make the brake brace the way that suits the most folks, which is why I spent more to include the spacer to run it without any STB even though it cost a little more.
Completely understandable....thanks. I'll toss the idea around.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:24 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I'd look at the pro/con of stb vs the brake brace.... I didn't think the stb was effective much at all, but as we can clearly see, this brace is quite noticeable.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I agree that if it's an either/or situation I know which way I'd go after having then removing the STB from my ESP car back when. In fact I have one on this mostly because I tire of explaining why I don't have one, and since so many do when it came to this part I knew I should have one for fitment reasons.

However there are those that swear by them. And if that's the case there are compatible parts where you can have both the STB and the MC brace!

Old 02-25-2017, 12:31 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Great more things I need.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

nice!
Old 02-26-2017, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job Sam, looks like it'll make a huge difference and I'm planning to order one with some other suspension parts. Just curious, but why did you design it with the adjustable stop instead of using the master cylinder bolts?
Old 02-26-2017, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great looking piece for sure. I'll have to add it to my list of things to purchase for the car.

As the review on the site mentions, not many companies are producing newly designed stuff for these cars. For someone like me, it's great to see new innovations as I was not able to experience the excitement of new parts when these 4th gens were still new on the lot, although I did drool over them for years on end. I didn't even buy my Z28 (I didn't want to drive an F-body as a daily driver in Michigan) until 2016. I figure anything that costs $100 or less for the automotive hobby is cheap. Especially if it actually works. Hell, I've paid half of that for a container of wax.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm definitely going to buy one as soon as my car is released from winter hibernation.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't installed mine yet, but the quality and powder coating looks top notch.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:34 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I installed mine today, and it was easy as can be to install. I didn't get a chance to drive the car, but testing the pedal pressure was an instant difference.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Installed mine on Saturday and took the car out on Sunday to a local fbody meet. The improvement is significant. Pedal pressure is firm/solid with none of the "give" the pedal used to have. The pedal now has the proper feel it should. The install was straightforward and easy to follow.

Braking setup for those wondering (nothing fancy) - 98-02 spindles/calipers, Hawk HP+ front pads, HP 5.0 rears and stainless lines.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 72firebird
Nice job Sam, looks like it'll make a huge difference and I'm planning to order one with some other suspension parts. Just curious, but why did you design it with the adjustable stop instead of using the master cylinder bolts?
A number of reasons. I wanted to be able to add a touch of preload and you can't do that with a piece of metal. Because the cars are old, and the firewall flexes, it's pretty clear than can oilcan and it's possible that the booster isn't at the exact same spot in all cars. For that matter it's old enough that the chassis itself might have flexed some and the towers aren't in exactly the same stop relative to the booster.

And finally, I felt this was easier to install, and I think the above posts show it's a snap.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I installed mine today, and it was easy as can be to install. I didn't get a chance to drive the car, but testing the pedal pressure was an instant difference.
I can tell you that between this part, my 4 piston calipers, and the Stainless lines we supply with that kit the Camaro has BY FAR the firmest brake pedal in my fleet.

My fleet includes a 2004 BMW 330Ci, a 2015 VW GTI Performance Pack, and a 2007 C6 Z06.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
Installed mine on Saturday and took the car out on Sunday to a local fbody meet. The improvement is significant. Pedal pressure is firm/solid with none of the "give" the pedal used to have. The pedal now has the proper feel it should. The install was straightforward and easy to follow.

Braking setup for those wondering (nothing fancy) - 98-02 spindles/calipers, Hawk HP+ front pads, HP 5.0 rears and stainless lines.
I see you have stainless lines. Thoughts on this vs. those in terms of improvement in feel? I think the brace is by far more noticeable assuming the car with rubber lines had decent fluid in it to start with.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I put stainless lines on years ago and never thought they actually felt different. Seems like the prevailing opinion (here and FRRAX) now is stainless lines don't improve feel at all, if you're honest with yourself about it. /backToMainTopic

Quick Reply: New Item: Strano Performance Parts Master Cylinder Brace for all 93-02 cars