LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Suspension & Brakes (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-16/)
-   -   New Item: Strano Performance Parts Master Cylinder Brace for all 93-02 cars (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/1860730-new-item-strano-performance-parts-master-cylinder-brace-all-93-02-cars.html)

Sam Strano 02-17-2017 07:42 PM

New Item: Strano Performance Parts Master Cylinder Brace for all 93-02 cars

I'm very proud of this little item, and when I first ran it, I was blown away just how much better it made the brakes!

Here's the link: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=269&ModelID=7

I have both Red and Black in stock, ready to go on Monday. The pictures attached show only the red as that shows up much better in pictures. We will have other pictures coming too.

Bottom line, if you want stronger brakes and a firmer pedal, this is a part you can't ignore. The flex in the stock firewall is a huge amount more than the flex in stock brake lines, and many of you have replaced those at a higher price than the cost of this part.

I quickly took a before/after video on this. We are editing it into one with some captions but for the time being, I wanted to get the out in front of you guys.

Video comparing before and after:

Undertow74 02-18-2017 07:37 AM

Interesting....:cheers:

JD_AMG 02-18-2017 01:19 PM

Nice.
Copycats will be all over this like usual, i give it a few weeks before they introduce their "original design".

y2keglide 02-18-2017 02:05 PM

Wow,as said horrified! I just put on a tower brace,looks like I'll be adding this piece next.

Floorman279 02-18-2017 03:18 PM

Was thinking price would be around 60, then i saw it was almost double.

79_T/A 02-18-2017 04:46 PM

This is a part that is absolutely necessary. The amount of firewall flex these cars have is impressive.

mac62989 02-18-2017 05:13 PM

Had no idea the firewall flexed that much..

BrntWS6 02-18-2017 05:34 PM

wow, had no idea this was even remotely a problem. Interested in some before and after reviews.

UMI Tech 02-18-2017 05:38 PM

The UMI '99 Camaro is destined to have this piece. I'm excited for better brake pedal feel.

ramey

LS6427 02-18-2017 05:42 PM

Sam.....so without that brace like my car has been for 19 years.....what is adding the brace going to do for me behind the wheel....?

Is it just going to feel like a good air bleeding was just done....so the brake pedal will just be more firm when pushed?

Because normal driving the brake pedal is hardly pushed at all to stop during street driving. Its just lightly pushed to stop.

Or is this for road racing with hard braking?

UMI Performance 02-18-2017 06:39 PM

Good video Sam. Great product, I was able to use this before and after and the pedal feel is completely different. I'm excited to use it on the track.

cancam99ss 02-18-2017 07:28 PM

take my money..... ill be calling monday for this... does it matter if you dont have a strut tower brace?

Tracer Bullet 02-18-2017 08:13 PM

Neat. I'll probably be getting one of these.

Originally Posted by cancam99ss (Post 19538011)
take my money..... ill be calling monday for this... does it matter if you dont have a strut tower brace?

According to the description on his site:

We include a spacer plate for use on cars that are not running a front mount Shock Tower Brace. We made this modular to work with or without a brace.

ChrisRZ28 02-19-2017 01:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I made this contraption several months ago out of sheet metal I had laying around. Bolted it to the studs on the booster and used the shock tower bolts. I should have painted it before hand but oh well. It's hard to see it but the brace goes underneath the master cylinder to the other stud. It's not sandwiched under the master cylinder. It's kind of a pain to get it in and out of there, but worth it because you don't feel the firewall flexing when you step on the brake. Makes the car feel slightly less "GM cheap". For what this thing cost me (nothing) and result I got, I can't see paying $100 for Sam's. Sorry.

landstuhltaylor 02-20-2017 10:29 AM

Really surprised me when I stripped my shell how flimsy that firewall is. I thought I was chasing air in the lines at nationals but after checking everything over I think most of it was due to the firewall flexing. Just a very soft initial pedal that really came through on the stickers.

Sam Strano 02-20-2017 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by JD_AMG (Post 19537780)
Nice.
Copycats will be all over this like usual, i give it a few weeks before they introduce their "original design".

Oh, I'm sure. We will just have to point back here to prove who really came up with it.

Mark this thread.

Sam Strano 02-20-2017 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Floorman279 (Post 19537860)
Was thinking price would be around 60, then i saw it was almost double.

It's not just a simple L bracket. There is time to cut, weld, coat, and other parts involved. And if it matters (and it might not), the simple L shaped ones for Subaru's are $99 and about 1/4 the size.

Now. This is cheaper than a set of SS brake lines. Hell, it's cheaper than set of decent pads. And this won't wear out.

Sam Strano 02-20-2017 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by LS6427 (Post 19537948)
Sam.....so without that brace like my car has been for 19 years.....what is adding the brace going to do for me behind the wheel....?

Is it just going to feel like a good air bleeding was just done....so the brake pedal will just be more firm when pushed?

Because normal driving the brake pedal is hardly pushed at all to stop during street driving. Its just lightly pushed to stop.

Or is this for road racing with hard braking?

Well my car has been without is since 1998. :)

No it's way beyond what a good bleed feels like. Just look at how much the MC moves. It's a hydraulic system, and you can bleed it forever, have every bit of air out of it, but like stepping in mud, or sand, when there isn't a solid base your foot sinks.

If you want firmer brakes, then you want this part. If you don't, well then you can skip it. But the firewall can and does oil-can and they have torn with time.

Sam Strano 02-20-2017 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by cancam99ss (Post 19538011)

No. It works with or without. For those that don't have them, there is a spacer plate that comes with the brace that you need to run on the car. Just bolts on.

Sam Strano 02-20-2017 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisRZ28 (Post 19538545)
I made this contraption several months ago out of sheet metal I had laying around. Bolted it to the studs on the booster and used the shock tower bolts. I should have painted it before hand but oh well. It's hard to see it but the brace goes underneath the master cylinder to the other stud. It's not sandwiched under the master cylinder. It's kind of a pain to get it in and out of there, but worth it because you don't feel the firewall flexing when you step on the brake. Makes the car feel slightly less "GM cheap". For what this thing cost me (nothing) and result I got, I can't see paying $100 for Sam's. Sorry.

Nobody is putting a gun to your head. But sure didn't take long for the naysayers to show up.

However, compare what you have there to what I did. I didn't use that kind of thin metal. It's coated (and lots of folks want that). It installs without removing the Master cylinder.

And well, folks pay far more for things that do far less.

A bunch are leaving today, more as I type this. For those folks getting them, please report back on your thoughts.