Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock SS wheels. Best brakes?

Old 04-06-2018, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun ELESS-ONE
one more question about brake lines. i read that the stock ls1 lines will work. did anyone confirm what other ones work? the c5/c6 caliper conversion lines? ctsv lines? stock c5 lines?
I did not personally have good luck with the stock hoses - neither the LT1 style (straight end) or the LS1 style (90 deg at caliper end). They looked to be a very tight fit with the wheels straight, and pinching with the wheels turned.

I've ordered CTS-V 4-piston F-body conversion lines from Kore3, which they say will work (and I believe they will as well since the calipers are so similar). These are "custom" hoses that have the correct F-Body flare/fitting at the body end, which the OEM style CTS lines don't have. I'll update the thread when I get them, but I feel confident about them.

Flynbye also sells these hoses, but I had no communication or shipping confirmation a week after paying, so I cancelled my order with them. Kore3 on the other hand responded to all of my emails very quickly and professionally. They don't list these lines specifically on their website, but just email or call and ask as they have them (mine shipped same day) .
Old 04-07-2018, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by handyandy
I did not personally have good luck with the stock hoses - neither the LT1 style (straight end) or the LS1 style (90 deg at caliper end). They looked to be a very tight fit with the wheels straight, and pinching with the wheels turned.

I've ordered CTS-V 4-piston F-body conversion lines from Kore3, which they say will work (and I believe they will as well since the calipers are so similar). These are "custom" hoses that have the correct F-Body flare/fitting at the body end, which the OEM style CTS lines don't have. I'll update the thread when I get them, but I feel confident about them.

Flynbye also sells these hoses, but I had no communication or shipping confirmation a week after paying, so I cancelled my order with them. Kore3 on the other hand responded to all of my emails very quickly and professionally. They don't list these lines specifically on their website, but just email or call and ask as they have them (mine shipped same day) .
iv read alot of good things about kore3. would you happen to know if the c5 lines work? they are longer(people use them for the lt1 to ls1 brake conversion) so they might work. if the ls1 lines work for the astv swap, then the c5 lines should work.

thanks for the info. will be checking back when you do the install
Old 04-17-2018, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

iv read alot of good things about kore3. would you happen to know if the c5 lines work? they are longer(people use them for the lt1 to ls1 brake conversion) so they might work. if the ls1 lines work for the astv swap, then the c5 lines should work.

thanks for the info. will be checking back when you do the install
I'm not sure about the C5 lines, but when I e-mailed the customer service e-mail address they list on their website, a person named Tobin Knighton e-mailed me back within 30 minutes and set up an online invoice for the CTS-V lines, and they are great. I installed them the other night (sorry, no pics at this point) and they fit really well and have plenty of length. So it's possible the C5 lines might work / be very similar, but I know if you e-mail and ask for the CTS-V F-body lines they have them readily accessible and they for sure fit with the ATS calipers.

My only small issue I've had so far is that I got matching stainless hoses for the stock rear brakes, and they are almost a touch too long - since the distance from the caliper to the hard line is very short, it was a bit awkward to route the longer hoses, but I still managed to make them work. The front hoses mount vertically to the hard line at the body, so the excess hose loop just goes up and comes back down and isn't awkward at all.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be looking at the kore3 lines then. Better safe than sorry!
Old 04-18-2018, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm not sure about the C5 lines, but when I e-mailed the customer service e-mail address they list on their website, a person named Tobin Knighton e-mailed me back within 30 minutes and set up an online invoice for the CTS-V lines, and they are great. I installed them the other night (sorry, no pics at this point) and they fit really well and have plenty of length. So it's possible the C5 lines might work / be very similar, but I know if you e-mail and ask for the CTS-V F-body lines they have them readily accessible and they for sure fit with the ATS calipers.

My only small issue I've had so far is that I got matching stainless hoses for the stock rear brakes, and they are almost a touch too long - since the distance from the caliper to the hard line is very short, it was a bit awkward to route the longer hoses, but I still managed to make them work. The front hoses mount vertically to the hard line at the body, so the excess hose loop just goes up and comes back down and isn't awkward at all.
Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at stainless c5 lines because they are easier to get and cheaper and I know they are longer then the fbody lines . Guess it's worth a shot. I wasn't sure if the fbody banjo fitting fit the atsv caliper. But if the stock lines could fit then the banjo fitting on the c5 lines would work.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:49 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at stainless c5 lines because they are easier to get and cheaper and I know they are longer then the fbody lines . Guess it's worth a shot. I wasn't sure if the fbody banjo fitting fit the atsv caliper. But if the stock lines could fit then the banjo fitting on the c5 lines would work.
Yes, I believe the fittings are the same. I ordered the CTS V front hoses and stock replacement rear hoses, and all 4 used the same banjo fitting and bolts.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just sent him an email for the two fronts and the two from the axle to the body (forgot about those when I ordered rear lines)
Old 04-20-2018, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BeatonZ06
Just sent him an email for the two fronts and the two from the axle to the body (forgot about those when I ordered rear lines)
I didn't even realize these existed either, but Tobin was very good to point out there are 5-hose and 6-hose systems and how I could double check on the car which version I had. If you know you have two from the axle to body then sounds like you know you have the 6-hose / ABS+TCS style.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Figured I would post up my go at this upgrade. I shopped around to find a deal on
Used calipers with good pads from ebay - $160
New rotors combo of amazon and ebay - $118
4 custom made adaptors, 15mm from motorsport-tech - $265
Caliper paint G2 - $30
Stickers - $5
Caliper bolts from fastenal - $6

According to my bathroom scale the stock rotors were 19.5 lbs and the new ones were 21 lbs. New calipers were .5 lbs heavier, for a total weight gain of 2 lbs per side. No issues with the stock brake lines.

​​​​​​​

Old 05-24-2018, 11:15 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by z-camaro
Figured I would post up my go at this upgrade. I shopped around to find a deal on
Used calipers with good pads from ebay - $160
New rotors combo of amazon and ebay - $118
Caliper paint G2 - $30
Stickers - $5
Caliper bolts from fastenal - $6
It might be burried elsewhere in this thread, but can you post specifically which calipers and rotors you used (model/part-number/whatever applicable).
For example, are those ATS Calipers and C7 rotors? However, which ATS calipers and which C7 rotors (standard, Z51/Z07, other)? Thanks.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
So to summarize

Option 1
2014+ c7 jl9 base brakes
-Acdelco brembo calipers-1722586/87 – $127.79 each rock auto
-Rotors-1771155- $96.79 each rock auto (OEM 20981819)
-Bosch blue be1001 pads - BE1001- $17.10 rock auto
-Acdelco 1711207 pads - GM original $184.79 rock auto
-Acdelco caliper pin kit - 18K1971X – $15.61 rock auto
-arpstuds-ARP 100-7708- $14.88 for set of 5 jegs
-Brake lines - H620066/67 Amazon - $32.24
-HUBCENTRIC WHEEL SPACERS 5X4.75 5X120.65 5X120.7 70.3 CB 5MM 3/16"- $17.89 ebay
-10.9 mounting bolts 14mm x 2.0 x 40mm metric - Dorman 14006 Caliper Bolt
-Bore hub mounting holes to 14mm/9/16'' to accept the new calipers.

Total: $546.88

Option 2:
Above, but using DBA T3 ClubSpec 4000 Rotors and Ferodo DS2500 pads
DBA-DBA42760S - $177 ea
DS2500 part number?

Option 3
C7 Z51 calipers and rotors confirmed to fit on stock 4th gen SS wheels?

Rotor OEM 23439965, ACDELCO 1771171 - $87.89
Caliper OEM 22847800/22847795 ACDELCO 1722619/22 - $405.89 ea
Pads OEM 23441307 ACDELCO 1711141 - $112.79

Stoptech Aero 129.62144.33/.34 ?? - $360 ea? - Not sure if correct part #

C7 Z51 calipers are not cheap. I wonder if Option 3 setup fits:
Race Star 17x9.5 (92-795253DP)
Originally Posted by VIP1
It might be burried elsewhere in this thread, but can you post specifically which calipers and rotors you used (model/part-number/whatever applicable).
For example, are those ATS Calipers and C7 rotors? However, which ATS calipers and which C7 rotors (standard, Z51/Z07, other)? Thanks.

There ya go.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:25 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by biketopia
There ya go.
Is that the exact setup that Z-camaro used? Or did he swap out some parts? Especially since a few different calipers and rotors are listed there (they aren't the same size).

Side-Note----- the site's new autoreplace is changing "m a r o" to "camaro" (spaces added to stop the autoreplace).
Old 05-25-2018, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Damn those are some expensive spacers.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

The eBay listing was for 13-16 ATS calipers, not sure if it had the part number or not. They were used and came with the stock brembo pads.
C7 rotors, 177-1155, standard non z51. I painted the hats on them with the caliper paint.

Is that the exact setup that Z-camaro used? Or did he swap out some parts? Especially since a few different calipers and rotors are listed there (they aren't the same size).

Side-Note----- the site's new autoreplace is changing "m a r o" to "camaro" (spaces added to stop the autoreplace).
It's been doing the auto correct on my screen name for years now.

Damn those are some expensive spacers.
Yes they are, but being adaptors they had new studs pressed into them so I didn't have to buy and press in longer ARP studs. The pockets in my rims were deep enough that I also didn't need to cut down my stock studs, so it is a true bolt on spacer that I can take off at any time.

I also have another $26 I got stuck with in shipping costs because I bought some from Strano that he told me were bolt on spacers when in fact they required me to swap wheel studs... So I spent even more than that and had the car on jack stands for an extra week while I waited for the custom made ones.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Ah, didn't realize they came with elongated studs. Are they ARP? That's a good deal. I bought new Timkin wheel bearings and had 1/2" x 3" arp studs put in by a machine shop. It's hit or miss finding a machine shop good enough to do this.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:26 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

z-camaro, thanks for the update. Regular ATS or ATS-V?
Old 05-29-2018, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

Ah, didn't realize they came with elongated studs. Are they ARP? That's a good deal. I bought new Timkin wheel bearings and had 1/2" x 3" arp studs put in by a machine shop. It's hit or miss finding a machine shop good enough to do this.
Not ARP, grade 10.9
z-camaro, thanks for the update. Regular ATS or ATS-V?
The listing title was just ATS so I do not believe they are from the V. Part numbers should be 1722586 and 87 from earlier in this thread.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

The ATS brakes you want are also sometimes referenced to through their option codes; J55 are the brembo's, you don't want the JE5 (base brakes package)
Old 05-30-2018, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by biketopia
The ATS brakes you want are also sometimes referenced to through their option codes; J55 are the brembo's, you don't want the JE5 (base brakes package)
This is correct, they aren't V-specific, just any current gen ATS with the J55 "Heavy Duty" brakes. The part numbers listed in earlier posts have actually been superceded by GM to new PN's, which are:

LH GM PN: 84089034, AC Delco PN: 172-2777
RH GM PN: 84089035, AC Delco PN: 172-2768

The "old" part numbers work and look just the same, but you just might not be able to find them if they are sold out in most places. Amazon seems to only have the new PN's (at least in Canada anyways). A few months ago I actually bought one side of the "old" PN from Amazon for like $100 on clearance, and then had to pay closer to $200 for the other side in the newer PN.

Another thing I didn't realize until I had the calipers in my hands is that the left and right are virtually identical, so if you find a really good deal on left or right only, just buy two. The only difference that I can see is which end the bleeder valve is on, but the casting has threaded holes in both ends and a plug in the non-bleeder end. So if you bought two of the same side, you can just swap the bleeder and plug end to end on one of them.

C7 J55 or JL9 front calipers are also physically identical, with the only difference being the paint job and stickers. The ATS Brembos are a matte grey and say Cadillac on them, and the Corvette calipers are a gloss finish (come in black, yellow, red, gray) and say Corvette. For this reason the ATS calipers are almost always cheaper, but if you find a good deal on C7 J55 or JL9 calipers they work just the same.

I have been meaning to make a post on here detailing the parts that I used, and I will today if I end up having time.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is correct, they aren't V-specific, just any current gen ATS with the J55 "Heavy Duty" brakes. The part numbers listed in earlier posts have actually been superceded by GM to new PN's, which are:

LH GM PN: 84089034, AC Delco PN: 172-2777
RH GM PN: 84089035, AC Delco PN: 172-2768

The "old" part numbers work and look just the same, but you just might not be able to find them if they are sold out in most places. Amazon seems to only have the new PN's (at least in Canada anyways). A few months ago I actually bought one side of the "old" PN from Amazon for like $100 on clearance, and then had to pay closer to $200 for the other side in the newer PN.

Another thing I didn't realize until I had the calipers in my hands is that the left and right are virtually identical, so if you find a really good deal on left or right only, just buy two. The only difference that I can see is which end the bleeder valve is on, but the casting has threaded holes in both ends and a plug in the non-bleeder end. So if you bought two of the same side, you can just swap the bleeder and plug end to end on one of them.

C7 J55 or JL9 front calipers are also physically identical, with the only difference being the paint job and stickers. The ATS Brembos are a matte grey and say Cadillac on them, and the Corvette calipers are a gloss finish (come in black, yellow, red, gray) and say Corvette. For this reason the ATS calipers are almost always cheaper, but if you find a good deal on C7 J55 or JL9 calipers they work just the same.

I have been meaning to make a post on here detailing the parts that I used, and I will today if I end up having time.
Thanks for the info, think it will help clear up a bunch of the #'s and order codes etc that seem to jumble the threads. Googles those part numbers and amazon has em for $124 with prime shipping and no core.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock SS wheels. Best brakes?