Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

best street suspension with S60 axle

Old 03-14-2017, 09:26 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
So they used a different piston design, different fluid, tighter tolerances, larger range of adjustment, lighter materials or ....? I'll stop derailing this thread, but when I look at two shocks that are the same technology (twin tube, non-gas charged, adjustment on the shock body) that have been built by the same people it's hard to settle for "this one is just better". </rant>
I took a day and dug into your question. Good question by the way. The answer is, QA1 and Viking are in competition with each other and it makes both companies better. I called Dave Kass who happens to be the customer service lead for QA1 and is also pretty good engineer in his own right. He mentioned that their failure rate is currently at 0.06% (and that it wasn't always that low). When I started at UMI there were a few complaints about sealing on their hybrid coilover shocks. Here's what made that improve:

"Engineering brought up a good point about the sealing system. They said while the seals are important we’ve found the component it’s sealing against is actually the most critical thing. If the component it’s sealing has a rough finish or is out of spec, the seal could fail. This is why we moved much of our machining of our shock components in-house. Some of the shock components we now manufacture in house are bases, bodies, glands, pistons, base valves amongst others. These components play the biggest role in overall shock operation, consistency and quality. This allows us to control the quality from start to finish, and ensures tight tolerances and proper surface finish. Parts prep and assembly also plays an important role in shock performance. We underwent a full renovation of our shop in 2011 with manufacturing and assembly in mind. We brought in new personnel, CNC equipment, tools and work stations and the results have been fantastic. Continual improvement continues to be an emphasis for us, and we’re constantly making improvements as new technology, tools and ideas come about."

Kass also mentioned that since they're ISO certified, continual improvement is actually a requirement, not just something you do. I know this firsthand from implementing ISO at a previous job. You can't just leave a product as-is and keep your certification.

Kass sent me their current dyno chart for the 4th Gen shock. Whether or not you agree with twin-tube/monotube, piston size, or the shape of the curve, the QA1 is very similar in damping to the Viking Warrior. This means the average human driver can run double QA1's or double Vikings and the car will feel similar. I think it's probably like Ford and Chevy where some like one and some like the other, and fiercely defend their brand.

Guess what though, if you buy from UMI, we know how to read the charts, and we race on all the stuff, so we can help you decide. There are multiple options to pick from and there just may be something right for you.

PS here's the Viking graphs.
https://umiperformanceinc.wordpress....1-dyno-charts/
Old 03-15-2017, 11:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

^thank you for the straight forward, honest answer.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
^thank you for the straight forward, honest answer.
Ditto. For as much crap as I give you guys on here there's a reason so many of my parts carry the UMI logo.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts

Unfortunately no one has them all (not many are going to drop $6k to test setups they aren't interested in).

The other thing is that in the opinions of a fair amount of this board they aren't worth directly comparing: Viking and qa1 are twin tube, non-gas charged drag shocks that are very good at making your car go fast in a straight line while the UMI/Strano setup, koni or Ridetech use a gas charged mono-tube shock very good at making your car go right or left. The closest comparison you'll see is the UMI Auto-X car that ran vikings for a season and switched to the UMI/Strano setup while they were developing that.

Lots of vendors on here push the Viking stuff pretty hard because most people are interested more in street/strip than street/auto-x, but then have to reference the crusader series to get the valving correct for stiffer springs which then puts you in the price range of the more handling oriented mono-tube shocks with gas charging and adjustment on the piston.

In this case I was calling out the qa1 vs viking comparison because as far as I can tell they're the same shock, MWC is saying viking is better and they have fast strip cars, but what I'm asking is how are they better.
Crusader series? Is that what comes in the VCF226-350 package that contains the 150# rear and 350# front springs?

http://www.magazinevolume.com/17689BF/#/22/

Last edited by 5.7stroker; 03-15-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Ditto. For as much crap as I give you guys on here there's a reason so many of my parts carry the UMI logo.
everything minus my LCA's and Ridetechs under my car is UMI. K-member to a arms, tq arm midmount safetly loop SFC's and PHB. There specific setup wasnt even mentioned when I went ridtech otherwise it probably would have been another option to weigh.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:33 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
Crusader series? Is that what comes in the VCF226-350 package that contains the 150# rear and 350# front springs?

http://www.magazinevolume.com/17689BF/#/22/

The VCF kits come with Warrior series shocks. Opting for the Crusaders generally add about $150 per pair of shocks, but well worth it if you are in competition level or high powered demands. The Crusader valving charts are as follows:

Crusader AP
Name:  Crusader%20AP_zpsfztop10s.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  151.2 KB

Crusdaer AM
Name:  Crusader%20AM_zpsmc3kvmk9.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  114.6 KB

Crusader AJ
Name:  Crusader%20AJ_zps4gox6oge.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  82.8 KB

compared to the standard Warriors:
Name:  Warrior%20Series_zpspwrrisb6.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  79.1 KB

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-15-2017, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts

Good to know. Thank you for posting this data.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:23 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

The other thing is that in the opinions of a fair amount of this board they aren't worth directly comparing: Viking and qa1 are twin tube, non-gas charged drag shocks that are very good at making your car go fast in a straight line while the UMI/Strano setup, koni or Ridetech use a gas charged mono-tube shock very good at making your car go right or left.
I thought I'd correct something here. The Koni's are twin tubes as well. They are gas charged, but twin tube.

I prefer a twin tube design on the street to a monotube. Which is why I run Konis. They seem to react a little faster to crap road conditions. Of course, the Konis are very good on the track too. But a smooth track doesn't have as many inconsistencies to deal with, so a solid monotube works very well since it can really take a lot of force and spring pressure.

I've setup some JRZ Coilovers on BMWs and they are insane. I've also done some Bilsteins with Hyperco's on Vettes. They don't ride as nicely as the Konis (did Koni coilovers on BMWs too with TC Kline kits).

I'd just get the Konis and be done with it. Run them with the Strano or BMR springs. I have less clearance than you with the 3.5" DS and true duals. You just have to be careful not to scrape. It rides really rather well. A lot like the BMWs with the TC Kline kits actually.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I thought I'd correct something here. The Koni's are twin tubes as well. They are gas charged, but twin tube.

I prefer a twin tube design on the street to a monotube. Which is why I run Konis. They seem to react a little faster to crap road conditions. Of course, the Konis are very good on the track too. But a smooth track doesn't have as many inconsistencies to deal with, so a solid monotube works very well since it can really take a lot of force and spring pressure.

I've setup some JRZ Coilovers on BMWs and they are insane. I've also done some Bilsteins with Hyperco's on Vettes. They don't ride as nicely as the Konis (did Koni coilovers on BMWs too with TC Kline kits).

I'd just get the Konis and be done with it. Run them with the Strano or BMR springs. I have less clearance than you with the 3.5" DS and true duals. You just have to be careful not to scrape. It rides really rather well. A lot like the BMWs with the TC Kline kits actually.
My bad, I really need to read through my posts before I submit them. But agreed, Konis on the street are money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best street suspension with S60 axle