Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI/Afco coil-over kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UMI/Afco coil-over kits

For those that are waiting we are currently taking orders.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...Path=7_435_439

UMI’s 4th Gen F-body competition coilover package is built to perform. Developed in conjunction with Sam Strano (14x national SCCA auto-x champion), the Afco built monotube dampers provide race winning performance in auto-x and road race while still providing an awesome street ride. The package includes rebound adjustable dampers with a properly tuned fixed compression valve code. The 40-position digressive rebound curve is designed for competition body and weight transfer control. Spring rates are 600 lb/in front and 200 lb/in rear Hypercoils. These rates and damping curves in conjunction with available 35mm/22mm sway bars encourage race winning performance. UMI’s aluminum body shocks and coilover brackets are race-proven for three seasons now under punishing conditions. Ride height adjustment range is stock to 2-1/2” lowering. Every part of this competition proven package is 100% Made In USA.

Craig
Old 05-12-2016, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Those spring rates though
Old 05-13-2016, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Are these going to require the new boxed lower A-arms that yall had at PRI or will you have some with the OEM style so we can run them on stock style A-arms or the original boxed A-arms like I have?

Old 05-14-2016, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WarShrike
Are these going to require the new boxed lower A-arms that yall had at PRI or will you have some with the OEM style so we can run them on stock style A-arms or the original boxed A-arms like I have?
In for this info. I have to keep the stock A-arm for my class.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FIVEPOINT7
You can definitely make them work. Afco makes a t-bar for the f body lower control arm for bearing mounted shocks. I use it on my car. I will have to get back to you with a part number.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, went digging myself. Maybe one of the UMI guys or Sam can chime in on this.

Looks like there are three options (maybe more?) for what is called the Tie Bar Kit which converts the bearing end to a tie bar setup like OEM fit. I don't have my car in the garage right now so I can't go out and measure to see which one is the exact fitment.

This is in AFCO's 2016 catalog on page 207: PDF Download

As seen here:

For those not sure what's being discussed, this is in regard to making the front coilovers fit lower A-arms accepting OEM style mounts including the UMI Boxed lowers:

As compared to the UMI double shear boxed lowers they had on display at PRI (source, LSXTV):
Old 05-16-2016, 07:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the stock a-arm you will want the first one , AFCO part #20147-3

As seen here:
Old 05-16-2016, 07:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The part #'s currently on our site will include a lower T-Bar to mount the front shocks to factory lower a-arms or UMI a-arms. Pictures will be updated to show this over time.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
The part #'s currently on our site will include a lower T-Bar to mount the front shocks to factory lower a-arms or UMI a-arms. Pictures will be updated to show this over time.
When will you be releasing the new boxed a-arms that don't need the t-bar mount?
Old 05-16-2016, 08:58 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by blackandgold
When will you be releasing the new boxed a-arms that don't need the t-bar mount?
I am hoping in the next 30 days, they are building the jigs for them now. The adjustable upper a-arm is holding it up mostly, trying to finalize it the way we like it.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am hoping in the next 30 days, they are building the jigs for them now. The adjustable upper a-arm is holding it up mostly, trying to finalize it the way we like it.
Sweetness, should be just in time for spring bonus season. Is there a recommended upper a-arm for these as well?
Old 05-19-2016, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ryan, is just the arms getting revised or are there revisions coming for the member as well? If so, can you elaborate?
Old 06-30-2016, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed a set of these (the UMI/AFCO/Strano coil overs) on my 2002 Camaro with stock front control arms. As Ryan said, they bolt on without issues.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trackbird
I just installed a set of these (the UMI/AFCO/Strano coil overs) on my 2002 Camaro with stock front control arms. As Ryan said, they bolt on without issues.
stock lowers too? I had to put mine on hold to pick up some longer lower mount bolts
Old 06-30-2016, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

stock lowers too? I had to put mine on hold to pick up some longer lower mount bolts
Stock uppers and lowers using the stock lower bolts.
Attached Thumbnails UMI/Afco coil-over kits-img_5980.jpg   UMI/Afco coil-over kits-img_5983.jpg  
Old 06-30-2016, 01:46 PM
FormerVendor

A couple little things we learned with customers receiving these.

Rear sway bars:

If you have a UMI rear solid bar or a factory bar you have room to run the rear shocks upside down so the adjuster is easier to get to. If you have a newer UMI tubular rear sway bar or a Strano rear bar the clearance gets tighter and the shock needs to be installed right side up. Also make sure the head of the bolt is towards the sway bar.

I can't speak for other brand sway bars. Looking at pictures I would say BMR has nice clearance as well.

Factory rear control arms:

The bolt on the rear lower coilover bracket fits. Factory rear lower control arms won't really work, you can grind them I think.

I think that is it for surprises.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

The bolt on the rear lower coilover bracket fits. Factory rear lower control arms won't really work, you can grind them I think.

Instead of grinding the arms, I'd probably box a short section of the bottom of the control arm and cut the rolled "lip" off the outside. Just weld on a plate that's large enough to strengthen the arm where you cut the lip off (and a little additional to support the ends of the rolled lip to retain the strength) for bolt head clearance and not enough to stiffen or box the whole arm. Fully boxing the arms will eliminate the natural ability to "twist" that GM built into the arms. I'd have to try it to swear that it will work, but it should only take about a 1-2" plate to support the section where you remove the lip to make sure the arm can't buckle.

If you're not 100% sure of your welding and fabrication abilities, get proper assistance. Or, UMI has some really nice LCAs available and I'd just buy a set to go with the coil over kit...if you don't already have them.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

A couple little things we learned with customers receiving these.

Rear sway bars:

If you have a UMI rear solid bar or a factory bar you have room to run the rear shocks upside down so the adjuster is easier to get to. If you have a newer UMI tubular rear sway bar or a Strano rear bar the clearance gets tighter and the shock needs to be installed right side up. Also make sure the head of the bolt is towards the sway bar.

I can't speak for other brand sway bars. Looking at pictures I would say BMR has nice clearance as well.

Just to clarify so I don't waste an hour swearing at my car, since I'm going with a strano bar, right side up means the shock body on the bottom and the "top" with the adjuster **** up by the body?

I'm also going to be mounting them to an MWC FAB9 so it will be another data point I guess.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just to clarify so I don't waste an hour swearing at my car, since I'm going with a strano bar, right side up means the shock body on the bottom and the "top" with the adjuster **** up by the body?

I'm also going to be mounting them to an MWC FAB9 so it will be another data point I guess.
You are correct. "Coil spring up". If you're running stock rear control arms (I didn't know if you could change them in that class), you may have space issues with that swaybar (you have to run the bolt with the nut on the control arm side and then the bar will clear....but the stock LCA's are in the way and require the bolt head on the outside instead of the inside for clearance).
Old 07-01-2016, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trackbird
You are correct. "Coil spring up". If you're running stock rear control arms (I didn't know if you could change them in that class), you may have space issues with that swaybar (you have to run the bolt with the nut on the control arm side and then the bar will clear....but the stock LCA's are in the way and require the bolt head on the outside instead of the inside for clearance).
Luckily no stock LCAs for me. I sort of came to the conclusion that I just don't care what class this car ends up in.

Quick Reply: UMI/Afco coil-over kits