Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano Performance Parts: Adjustable front sway bars for 93-02

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 06:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Strano Performance Parts: Adjustable front sway bars for 93-02

$349

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=1474&CategoryID=126&ModelID =7

Part #: 8805
Brand: Stranoparts
Price: $349.00
Building on our standard non-adjustable 35mm Tubular front bar, we are proud to offer a 3-way adjustable version for the 1993-2002 GM F-body.

This is the first production adjustable front bar for this car, and offers you tuning options that you just don't get in a standard sway bar.

The bar is complete with everything you need to bolt it up to either stock or aftermarket control arms that accept a stock type endlink. Most arms are this way but a few arms take their own special endlink and that is not compatible with this sway bar. If you have questions, please ask!

The kit includes:

- 35mm tubular 3-position adjustable bar
- Pair of high quality Rod-ended adjustable endlinks with teflon liners and built in stud
- Pair of collar clamps to keep bar from sliding side to side
- Pair of Urethane mount bushings and brackets
- Spacers, adapter brackets, and bolts to attach to the control arm

Old 05-18-2017, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice! Can't wait to hear the reviews.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Approximately how stiff is this on each of the 3 settings?

I have a solid 35mm ST bar right now - on the stiffest setting, is this new bar stiffer than what I currently have?

Thanks Sam.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Was talking to Sam about this a few days ago and I'm pretty certain he said the softest setting is the same as his current hollow 35mm bar which is quite a bit softer than the ST bar. Can't speak to any of the adjustments. IMO the 35mm solid is too much bar, but then I'm definitely more of a big spring small bar kind of guy.

Sam - I will likely be putting in an order next week as it sounds like Finch sold his bar with the car. Will know for sure this weekend.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Sam, could you provide the rates like you do with your other adjustable bars?
Old 05-19-2017, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wish this was out years ago when I bought your 35mm front bar...

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
Was talking to Sam about this a few days ago and I'm pretty certain he said the softest setting is the same as his current hollow 35mm bar which is quite a bit softer than the ST bar. Can't speak to any of the adjustments. IMO the 35mm solid is too much bar, but then I'm definitely more of a big spring small bar kind of guy.

Sam - I will likely be putting in an order next week as it sounds like Finch sold his bar with the car. Will know for sure this weekend.
Curious, why do you prefer stiffer springs/softer bars compared to stiffer bars/softer springs? (this is relative of course)
Old 05-19-2017, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Spring the car where you want it and fix the missing roll stiffness with bar. Would prefer to go with bigger springs as the right shock will be able to control them and they will maintain more independence over single wheel bumps. Obviously there is a point of going too far which I've hit at the back of the car (and where single wheel bump doesn't exist to an extent), however that has definitely not been the case in the front. I'm happy with my rear rate on smoother sites but it just doesn't work on the sunken asphalt you'll find at a lot of locals. I'm actually hoping the hollow front bar will allow me to re-spring the back and bring the ride frequency more in-line with what I'm already running in the front. Will likely require some Watts link and/or rear bar adjustments to dial it back in.

Last edited by landstuhltaylor; 05-19-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I don't have the rates, I don't and never have done my bars that way or with any real care as to what the "number" is. This bar is the same as the standard hollow bar when set to full soft. But you can make it varying degrees of stiffer. It should get to a point that is similar or maybe slightly more than a solid bar given how much we are shortening the lever arms.

You are getting rid of all the bushing squish as well because of the rod-ended links which make the bar react quicker giving more roll stiffness not in total, but more quickly.

Back to the rates. I do things by trying things, and playing around with different options. I know where the standard hollow bar lives, and I know where solid 35's live, and I was going for the lighter bar that covers most of that range. I do not shoot for any specific number, but to give tuning options. Whether they want it to tune for a certain tire, or a surface, or just personal tastes to fine tune the setup, you have choices to tweak the front bar roll stiffness that has not existed before, at least not in a production version.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-22-2017, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Then why do you list rates of your adjustable rear bar on your website?
Old 05-22-2017, 06:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Sam I am interested in sways as my next suspension mod but I have no idea what route to go. Instead of creating my own thread I figured I would ask you here and hopefully it would answer the question for other guys in my situation. My car is 100% street driven, it will never see a drag strip but I may try a little auto-x down the line. Currently I have Koni 4/3, BMR springs, and an adjustable panhard bar. Might do LCA's and a watts down the line but first would like some sways. Any input would be appreciated
Old 05-22-2017, 06:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Then why do you list rates of your adjustable rear bar on your website?
Because someone else came up with them because they just had to know, and then gave me the numbers. The number doesn't mean squat, just like a car tht makes 800 hp means nothing if it's undriveable, or slow.

What works, works, numbers be damned.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-22-2017, 06:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by mac62989
Sam I am interested in sways as my next suspension mod but I have no idea what route to go. Instead of creating my own thread I figured I would ask you here and hopefully it would answer the question for other guys in my situation. My car is 100% street driven, it will never see a drag strip but I may try a little auto-x down the line. Currently I have Koni 4/3, BMR springs, and an adjustable panhard bar. Might do LCA's and a watts down the line but first would like some sways. Any input would be appreciated
Anyone you ask will likely have the answer that suits them best. Given you have shocks that I have used for years, long before others here sold them, and you have springs which might well be cheap copies of mine (the earlier ones are not), I would suspect that my bars which were developed with my springs and Koni's would suit you well.

And if you want to have options on tuning them, then the adjustable bars would be the next step. And you can do adjustable on only one end if you like but that leaves you with much less flexibility than having both.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Anyone you ask will likely have the answer that suits them best. Given you have shocks that I have used for years, long before others here sold them, and you have springs which might well be cheap copies of mine (the earlier ones are not), I would suspect that my bars which were developed with my springs and Koni's would suit you well.

And if you want to have options on tuning them, then the adjustable bars would be the next step. And you can do adjustable on only one end if you like but that leaves you with much less flexibility than having both.
I should of clarified I mean't which Strano bars would be my best options. And yes they are indeed the copies of your springs lol, they came free with the shocks and at the time it was too good to pass up being a college student and not being able to buy your springs in addition. SB1 8316/8410 would be appropriate then?
Old 05-23-2017, 02:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I should of clarified I mean't which Strano bars would be my best options. And yes they are indeed the copies of your springs lol, they came free with the shocks and at the time it was too good to pass up being a college student and not being able to buy your springs in addition. SB1 8316/8410 would be appropriate then?
Any of the bars will be appropriate. But I'd either go standard all around, or adjustable front/standard rear, or adjustable all around. What I would not likely do given what you have and how you use the car is an adjustable rear with a standard front.

The Adjustable rear was made for certain instances, like cars with a staggered rear tire setup (bigger rear than front), or where the rear roll center has been lowered a lot. If you don't have those things than having the adjustable rear bar isn't really helpful unless you can also stiffen the front bar too, or at least have the option.

Really because all my bars are the same base size and tube, it's a matter of wanting, having, being able to make use of the adjustment. Adjustables at both ends give you far more tuning options than having them only at one end, or non-adjustable bars. Which aren't bad, I did work hard to size them for good balance, but there are variables with springs, and tires, even alignments that make it nice to have some bar tuning options.. for gear heads. Many folks just don't want to be bothered and want something basic and good, and that's the standard set of hollow bars.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam,

Would you be willing to sell the endlinks and collar clamps? I have your non-adjustable swaybars front and rear and would really like those endlinks and collars.

EDIT: Just realized those links wouldn't work with your standard 35mm front swaybar. What about the front collars?

Chris
Old 05-23-2017, 03:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Uh, no. I mean yes, sure... but they won't do you any good.

The ends of the standard bar are 90 degrees from the adjustable one, so the links won't work. And the collar clamps, they aren't needed with standard type endlinks because the bar can't walk side to side like it can when using rod-end type links.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Any of the bars will be appropriate. But I'd either go standard all around, or adjustable front/standard rear, or adjustable all around. What I would not likely do given what you have and how you use the car is an adjustable rear with a standard front.

The Adjustable rear was made for certain instances, like cars with a staggered rear tire setup (bigger rear than front), or where the rear roll center has been lowered a lot. If you don't have those things than having the adjustable rear bar isn't really helpful unless you can also stiffen the front bar too, or at least have the option.

Really because all my bars are the same base size and tube, it's a matter of wanting, having, being able to make use of the adjustment. Adjustables at both ends give you far more tuning options than having them only at one end, or non-adjustable bars. Which aren't bad, I did work hard to size them for good balance, but there are variables with springs, and tires, even alignments that make it nice to have some bar tuning options.. for gear heads. Many folks just don't want to be bothered and want something basic and good, and that's the standard set of hollow bars.
Hi Sam, would you offer a package deal with this bar and non adjustable rear then?
Old 06-14-2017, 09:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

and you have springs which might well be cheap copies of mine
And yes they are indeed the copies of your springs lol,

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Last edited by BMR Sales2; 06-14-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dark_Side
Hi Sam, would you offer a package deal with this bar and non adjustable rear then?
We can certainly sell them together but it's not a normal kit I'm planning on.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

LOL at the confusion expressed above. Betts Spring dude showed up at my place years ago. Told me he made BMR springs, told me they'd be happy to "reverse engineer" which means copy whatever I gave them. Not long after, BMR's springs changed design from a progressive front and rear to a linear front of the same rate as mine, and a different design progressive rear that is claimed to be different than mine.
Funny thing there, is you claim 160 rear rate, but I'm not dumb and I've rated them with a spring tester, and they aren't what is claimed. And after years of your predecessors telling everyone the original springs were "the best"

I'm kind of amazed you think people are so stupid.

I'm not the world's best mathematician, but 1+1+1 = 3

Quick Reply: Strano Performance Parts: Adjustable front sway bars for 93-02