Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

car sounds like a barking seal when turning

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Default car sounds like a barking seal when turning

This has been getting gradually worse for a few years. Now it's to the point I want to fix it. I notice it only when making 90* turns, like onto side roads or into parking lots/ parking spaces. It sounds like one of the wheels is barking like a seal. Car drives and handles great. I can't tell which wheel it's coming from. It doesn't sound like dueling seals so I'm pretty sure it's just one wheel. Last year I had a creaking noise along with this seal noise and that ended up being dry ball joints. The creaking noise went away after greasing the ball joints but that made no difference to the seal noise. Any ideas?
Old 03-19-2017, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

You sure it isn't the ps pump? A bad or weak pump will make all sorts of noises in those situations. If not it could be the hubs
Old 03-19-2017, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by M4N14C
You sure it isn't the ps pump? A bad or weak pump will make all sorts of noises in those situations. If not it could be the hubs
Yeah I'm sure it's not the pump. If it's the hubs is there a way to fix it or do I need new hubs?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

If only one side is doing it then swap hubs to the other side and see if the noise changes to the other side. Does the noise get faster the faster you go?
Old 03-20-2017, 03:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

if its a wheel bearing going out, if you know which side its coming from jack that side of the car up to get the wheel off the ground. Once its in the air grab the tire at the top and bottom and see if it rocks a little. If so replace the hub. you can take it a step further and swap hubs from one side to the other, but the above is a good indicator in most cases
Old 03-20-2017, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes do that first^^

There should be absolutely no play at all. Unless you're road racing or autocrossing, some replacement MOOG's or Timken's should be fine.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can't remember off the top of my head right now if the noise changes with car speed. I want to say it does but what I really need to do is find an empty large parking lot and have someone outside the car who can pinpoint where it's coming from. Sometimes I think it could even be coming from one of the rear wheels. Next dry day we have around here I'll test it.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I took the car on a couple road trips last month totaling about 4,000 miles. The car saw the full spectrum of driving conditions and situations and now the noise is gone. It shall remain a mystery I guess

Quick Reply: car sounds like a barking seal when turning