Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

MWC Watts Link Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by dojob
thanks for the response. appreciate it.

additionally since you make fab'd housings. you ever pursue mounting the watts' center the housing and having the arms connect to the chassis (like where the panhard bar and panhard braces attaches to)?
We haven't discussed it but it could be done however there would be a lot involved in doing so and the cost may exceed our current set up.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
We haven't discussed it but it could be done however there would be a lot involved in doing so and the cost may exceed our current set up.
Understood. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

We all know the handling benefits of replacing the panhard setup with a watts link but could you elaborate more on how the watts link changes the dynamics of the car when going over bumps? Right now on my Koni/Strano setup it rides fine most of the time except when going over small bumps. The front suspension soaks it up fine but sounds like someone fired a gun from the back of my car when my rear suspension goes over any small bump in the road at speed. Will a watts link alleviate some of this or is this just something that comes along with owning a car with a live rear axle?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by M4N14C
We all know the handling benefits of replacing the panhard setup with a watts link but could you elaborate more on how the watts link changes the dynamics of the car when going over bumps? Right now on my Koni/Strano setup it rides fine most of the time except when going over small bumps. The front suspension soaks it up fine but sounds like someone fired a gun from the back of my car when my rear suspension goes over any small bump in the road at speed. Will a watts link alleviate some of this or is this just something that comes along with owning a car with a live rear axle?
There is no correct answer to this considering every bump in the road and every vehicle is different. Should it improve it over a panhard bar, yes because it removes the downfall of the panhard bar.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just went and weighed our entire watts link with the bolt on brackets and it only weighed in at 20.8 for everything including hardware.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Before the watts link the front end would go over bumps and granted I had Strano spring/bilstein setup and recently went to the afco/UMI coilover setup, but you could feel the front suspension handle the bump and do it's job. When the rear would hit the same dip or bump in the road it felt like there was no suspension travel at all and would just bang/slam it's way through the bump. I even replaced my rear bump stops and got new rubber ones as well thinking that was the problem, it still didn't help. When I went over big bumps or rail road tracks it felt like the rear wanted to go one way and the body wanted to go another and still felt like it was bottoming out or something. Now granted I had the panhard relocation bar as well and the two bars would contact over big bumps and mess with suspension travel big time. After the watts install it really feels the same over the bumps when the front goes over and the rear. I can feel the shocks and springs doing their job instead of a big bang type feeling I was getting before.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chrisingermany
Before the watts link the front end would go over bumps and granted I had Strano spring/bilstein setup and recently went to the afco/UMI coilover setup, but you could feel the front suspension handle the bump and do it's job. When the rear would hit the same dip or bump in the road it felt like there was no suspension travel at all and would just bang/slam it's way through the bump. I even replaced my rear bump stops and got new rubber ones as well thinking that was the problem, it still didn't help. When I went over big bumps or rail road tracks it felt like the rear wanted to go one way and the body wanted to go another and still felt like it was bottoming out or something. Now granted I had the panhard relocation bar as well and the two bars would contact over big bumps and mess with suspension travel big time. After the watts install it really feels the same over the bumps when the front goes over and the rear. I can feel the shocks and springs doing their job instead of a big bang type feeling I was getting before.
That's good to hear and thank you for sharing your particular experience.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes thank you! Just pulled the trigger on one myself, can't wait!
Old 03-24-2017, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

Nice! I assume you went with a MWC one? You won't be disappointed.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

If this is the screen name that matches the order you will have tracking information here in a little bit and thank you for your order.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisingermany
I felt a very noticeable improvement right out of the gate. The rear felt much more planted and instead of the very hard jolts coming from the rear it felt almost more like the front suspension going over bumps if that makes sense. I am very happy with the improvement and wished I would have done this mod a long time ago.
MWC, get this guy a T-shirt or something. I will be getting the MWC 9" and Watts link as well, as my current build will require a new rear end. I currently have the Strano springs/bars/Koni yellow setup with 1LE Moog bushings and a MWC adjustable panhard. The setup is good, but the rear feels out of sync with the front going over sweepers with dips at speed. The rear is also more harsh than the front, so hopefully this will improve that--as much as live axle can, anyway. If the rear end was as stable as the front, I would be thrilled.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eb110americana
MWC, get this guy a T-shirt or something. I will be getting the MWC 9" and Watts link as well, as my current build will require a new rear end. I currently have the Strano springs/bars/Koni yellow setup with 1LE Moog bushings and a MWC adjustable panhard. The setup is good, but the rear feels out of sync with the front going over sweepers with dips at speed. The rear is also more harsh than the front, so hopefully this will improve that--as much as live axle can, anyway. If the rear end was as stable as the front, I would be thrilled.
Good to hear and when you are ready just give us a call and we can go over your order with you.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I got my fab 9" I chose the watts brackets welded on. I have no 2nd thought about it!
Old 04-01-2017, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This sounds more like a bumpstop issue or something else, like the axle is hitting something or the LCA's are causing harshness or something.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
This sounds more like a bumpstop issue or something else, like the axle is hitting something or the LCA's are causing harshness or something.
Bumpstops are fine and LCA's (UMI roto-joint) don't seem to be binding. This is greatly exaggerated under braking... maybe pad knockback?

Anyways, Watts link came in and just finished installing it. It was lighter than I expected but very solid. Here's a before/after shot:

Still have to fab up some solution to get the sway bar mounts back on but I love it. Can't wait to tinker with the various settings at the track. Once my Meziere water pump gets here I can go for a test drive, will post a video/review here when I do.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it not work with standard sway bar mounts? Or do you have a wierd type? Im currently running the UMI sway bar mounts so they are longer per say than stock. Will those work?

Last edited by Badazz 97 TA; 04-08-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
Does it not work with standard sway bar mounts? Or do you have a wierd type? Im currently running the UMI sway bar mounts so they are longer per say than stock. Will those work?
The axle clamps for the watts link will interfere with the sway bar. I had to get some longer u-bolts and add a 1/4" spacer to lower the sway bar to clear the clamps.
Name:  20170407_205725.jpg
Views: 3980
Size:  219.3 KB
Old 04-10-2017, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Ok great! Looks like an easy solution.

Hows the ground clearance when the suspension is loaded? I noticed from some pictures when searching this topic that certain brands look like they hang way low in the middle by the pumpkin. Im on the fence with both brands right now. MWC and fays.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Not the greatest angle. It hangs about even with the rear diff cover.

Name:  20170412_141512.jpg
Views: 4065
Size:  298.9 KB
Old 04-12-2017, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Thats not bad at all. A lot better than other pictures i have seen. Thanks for the picture!

Quick Reply: MWC Watts Link Installed