Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Does Nut come with GM # 10164163 Camber Bolt for Front Lower Control Arm?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Nut come with GM # 10164163 Camber Bolt for Front Lower Control Arm?

Hi everyone. I just got done spending two hours removing a seized rear camber bolt on the passenger front lower control arm in my 95 Camaro. I did a quick search and it looks like the GM part number for the bolt is 10164163. However, all of the diagram pictures I've seen for the part number doesn't show a nut. Does that nut come with the bolt if I order part number 10164163? I mangled mine up pretty bad. If someone could let me know asap I'd appreciate it. Trying to get this ordered tonight. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2017, 04:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm hoping it comes with the nut! I'm going to try again to get mine loose but so far they aren't budging what method did you use?
Old 03-23-2017, 07:30 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Moving to Suspension & Brakes.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't remember if mine came with a nut or not. I had the same problem with my lower bolt. I had to use a sawzall with a diamond blade to cut through the bolt to get it to come off. I installed the new bolt with anti seize to hopefully prevent it from happening again.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by King Nothing
I'm hoping it comes with the nut! I'm going to try again to get mine loose but so far they aren't budging what method did you use?
I used a lot of PB Blaster and let it soak overnight. Then, I pounded the bottom of the bolt with the nut on so I would have more surface area to hit. I didn't want the hammer to slide off or for me to miss and continue to smack the subframe bracket for the control arm. Unfortunately, that's why the nut is mangled. I used a 4lb hammer off and on for about two hours. My arm was prettly tired after that. Obviously, I had to remove the nut once the end of the bolt was almost flush with the slot in the bracket.

If you do go this route and find that the bolt still isn't loose once it's flush with the slot, take a 1/4" extension that you're willing to damage and use it as a punch. It's the perfect size and fits inside the bushing sleeve to allow you to beat the bolt through. A regular punch wasn't working for me since the surface area on the bottom of the bolt is so small and the punch just slides off. A 1/4" extension will sort of "cup" the end of the bolt so it works perfectly.

Sorry if this doesn't sound like any kind of special solution. There are really only two options. Cut it out or pound it out. You could try applying heat with a torch however that would probably be a fire hazard since there is a rubber bushing that can catch fire.
Attached Thumbnails Does Nut come with GM # 10164163 Camber Bolt for Front Lower Control Arm?-2017-03-22-21.43.21.jpg  
Old 03-24-2017, 08:09 AM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by ClippersChris2013
I used a lot of PB Blaster and let it soak overnight. Then, I pounded the bottom of the bolt with the nut on so I would have more surface area to hit. I didn't want the hammer to slide off or for me to miss and continue to smack the subframe bracket for the control arm. Unfortunately, that's why the nut is mangled. I used a 4lb hammer off and on for about two hours. My arm was prettly tired after that. Obviously, I had to remove the nut once the end of the bolt was almost flush with the slot in the bracket.

If you do go this route and find that the bolt still isn't loose once it's flush with the slot, take a 1/4" extension that you're willing to damage and use it as a punch. It's the perfect size and fits inside the bushing sleeve to allow you to beat the bolt through. A regular punch wasn't working for me since the surface area on the bottom of the bolt is so small and the punch just slides off. A 1/4" extension will sort of "cup" the end of the bolt so it works perfectly.

Sorry if this doesn't sound like any kind of special solution. There are really only two options. Cut it out or pound it out. You could try applying heat with a torch however that would probably be a fire hazard since there is a rubber bushing that can catch fire.
Did you use a 1/2" impact with an air compressor first or did you only try a ratchet with a breaker bar at the end? I have an assortment of punches I can use and do have access to a torch if need be, but a MAP gas torch should heat up the nut enough without catching the car on fire lol I haven't run into any nut my SnapOn 1/2" gun can't back off and I use mine day in day out on older trucks and trailers.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:45 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

It helps if I use my strength lol and this
Name:  FE9F7AA6-10E0-4436-AC4C-A4CF395694E7_zpsyigepbrl.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  135.9 KB
Best $130 I spent 4 years ago. All 4 nuts came off and the front bolts slid out after some tapping with the deadblow, the rear bolts were a bit trickier as I had to rock the a arms back and forth until they move over far enough to slide the rear bolts out.

Last edited by King Nothing; 03-24-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My driver's side rear bolt will not budge. Probably will have to cut it out. I tried rocking the a arm but the bushing is so trashed that it does nothing to the bolt. Tried heating it, but decided to stop once the bushing started smoking. I just wish there was enough room in there to use the 4' cutoff wheel.

The nut came off with no issue BTW.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by King Nothing
It helps if I use my strength lol and this

Best $130 I spent 4 years ago. All 4 nuts came off and the front bolts slid out after some tapping with the deadblow, the rear bolts were a bit trickier as I had to rock the a arms back and forth until they move over far enough to slide the rear bolts out.
Sorry, I should have mentioned in my post that I had no issue loosening the nut. What I meant is I threaded the nut on just a couple threads so I had more surface area to pound on. Anyway, it sounds like you were luckier than me. My bolt was "fused" to the bushing metal sleeve. The nut was easy for me. I just used a rachet and breaker bar. I'm glad that you got it apart.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OnA Fan
My driver's side rear bolt will not budge. Probably will have to cut it out. I tried rocking the a arm but the bushing is so trashed that it does nothing to the bolt. Tried heating it, but decided to stop once the bushing started smoking. I just wish there was enough room in there to use the 4' cutoff wheel.

Yeah, using heat is sketchy since those bushings can catch fire with a torch. PB Blaster (not WD40 or other penetrants but actual PB Blaster) can be your best friend in these situations as long as you allow it to soak overnight. That stuff is amazing but you'll still need to use some muscle pounding away at it with a heavy hammer if it's fused to the sleeve inside the bushing like mine. Only other option is a reciprocating electric saw with a diamond blade since it's a very hard bolt. There's a how-to thread on here somewhere. Let me see if I can find it.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:07 AM
Teching In

Check out this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...m-bushing.html
Old 03-25-2017, 12:41 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

Sorry, I should have mentioned in my post that I had no issue loosening the nut. What I meant is I threaded the nut on just a couple threads so I had more surface area to pound on. Anyway, it sounds like you were luckier than me. My bolt was "fused" to the bushing metal sleeve. The nut was easy for me. I just used a rachet and breaker bar. I'm glad that you got it apart.
Gotcha! I'm fortunate that my car spent the majority of the life on the west coast and there is very little to no rust. I used my ratchet and pushed my feet against the fender for leverage and all 4 nuts came off and the bolts slide out easily.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, using heat is sketchy since those bushings can catch fire with a torch. PB Blaster (not WD40 or other penetrants but actual PB Blaster) can be your best friend in these situations as long as you allow it to soak overnight. That stuff is amazing but you'll still need to use some muscle pounding away at it with a heavy hammer if it's fused to the sleeve inside the bushing like mine. Only other option is a reciprocating electric saw with a diamond blade since it's a very hard bolt. There's a how-to thread on here somewhere. Let me see if I can find it.
Yeah, sure feels like it's fused with the sleeve. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Just an update for anyone searching in the future. Part # 10164163 does NOT come with the nut. Thanks a lot GM
Attached Thumbnails Does Nut come with GM # 10164163 Camber Bolt for Front Lower Control Arm?-2017-03-27-16.33.14.jpg  
Old 03-28-2017, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

Just an update for anyone searching in the future. Part # 10164163 does NOT come with the nut. Thanks a lot GM
Really? That does suck.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

After several days of failed attempts with soaking in PB blaster and pounding, I decided to cut it. Home Depot didn't have diamond blades so I got the Diablo blades for "Extreme Metals".

Should have just started there. Took about 15 minutes.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:15 AM
Teching In

After several days of failed attempts with soaking in PB blaster and pounding, I decided to cut it. Home Depot didn't have diamond blades so I got the Diablo blades for "Extreme Metals".

Should have just started there. Took about 15 minutes.
Glad to see you finally got it out

Quick Reply: Does Nut come with GM # 10164163 Camber Bolt for Front Lower Control Arm?