Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question about Lubricating Poly Bushings during install in Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 01:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Lubricating Poly Bushings during install in Control Arms

I'm in the process of installing poly bushings in my upper control arms. I went online to check how to properly lubricate the bushings and found some contradictory how-to articles. My question is...Should the outside of the bushing be dry when the bushing is pressed in? I've found articles stating the outside of the bushing should remain dry and only the inside diameter along with the sleeve that the bolt goes through should be lubricated.

Other articles and videos state that every surface of the bushing that makes contact with metal should be lubricated including the outside. What do you guys think? If someone with some real experience or knowledge could chime in, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:06 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

you only need to lubricate the center of the bushing where it rides on the sleeve. Make sure to use a fully synthetic chassis grease on Poly. A petroleum based grease with dry out and break down the poly

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-28-2017, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Energy Suspension 9.11104 Formula 5 Prelube Grease

this is some tacky good stuff
Old 03-28-2017, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
you only need to lubricate the center of the bushing where it rides on the sleeve. Make sure to use a fully synthetic chassis grease on Poly. A petroleum based grease with dry out and break down the poly
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I'm more confused after watching the video linked below when comparing it to your response. What looks like an Energy Suspension representative is stating to lubricate every surface area that contacts metal including the outside of the bushing where it makes contact with the outer sleeve. Start watching video at 1:50 to save time...

Old 03-28-2017, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Boosted53F
Energy Suspension 9.11104 Formula 5 Prelube Grease

this is some tacky good stuff
That's what came in my kit so I have plenty of it. Thanks for the advise.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When poly bushings are being pressed in to factory suspension components they should be dry when they are pressed in to the control arm - *part of bushing being squeezed into suspension component is dry. Then when you are reattaching the control arm to the chassis, the outer sides of the bushing should be lubricated. Are these preassembled Poly bushings or are you pressing them in to your factory control arms?
Old 03-28-2017, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Boosted53F
When poly bushings are being pressed in to factory suspension components they should be dry when they are pressed in to the control arm - *part of bushing being squeezed into suspension component is dry. Then when you are reattaching the control arm to the chassis, the outer sides of the bushing should be lubricated. Are these preassembled Poly bushings or are you pressing them in to your factory control arms?
No, these are not already assembled. They're just like the bushing in the video above. They do not come with the outer shells. All I did is remove the rubber bushings from the shells in my control arms using a torch. The shells are still installed on the arms and must be reused according to the energy suspension directions. As stated, the reason I'm confused is because I keep getting contradictory advice. The video above shows that energy suspensions recommends lucubrating the outside of the bushing where it comes in contact with the outer shells. However, I've read articles on one of the corvette forums and I've received advice on here that state that they should be pressed into the shell dry. I'm leaning towards lubricating them as described in the video starting at the 1:50 mark. What do you think? Do you still recommend installing them dry?

Last edited by ClippersChris2013; 03-29-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm going to have to disagree with Energy on their recommendation here. We always install bushings into our components dry and with a tight fit to the outside. Our bushings are fluted on the inside around the sleeve to retain grease and keep a smooth surface. Bushings should not rotate inside the outer sleeve they are installed into. All movement should be the rotation on the inner sleeve. When the bushing rotates inside the outer sleeve, it will wear the bushing and create tolerance and slop on the bushing. The inner sleeves are zinc coated to provide a smooth bearing surface for the bushing to rotate on.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-29-2017, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ClippersChris2013
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I'm more confused after watching the video linked below when comparing it to your response. What looks like an Energy Suspension representative is stating to lubricate every surface area that contacts metal including the outside of the bushing where it makes contact with the outer sleeve. Start watching video at 1:50 to save time...

https://youtu.be/fpEZUbHVhUs
We only use Energy Suspension bushings with our lower control arms and panhard bushings. Probably why we have such good results from our suspension items.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
I'm going to have to disagree with Energy on their recommendation here. We always install bushings into our components dry and with a tight fit to the outside. Our bushings are fluted on the inside around the sleeve to retain grease and keep a smooth surface. Bushings should not rotate inside the outer sleeve they are installed into. All movement should be the rotation on the inner sleeve. When the bushing rotates inside the outer sleeve, it will wear the bushing and create tolerance and slop on the bushing. The inner sleeves are zinc coated to provide a smooth bearing surface for the bushing to rotate on.
Thank you for your response. I had the same thoughts and felt that it made more sense to install them dry. However, it was very difficult to install them dry so I lubed them as stated by Energy Suspension. Now, the one bushing keeps wanting to slide out of the sleeve slightly and is not flush with the lip. I've attached a couple pictures. I was thinking about removing them, cleaning off the lubricant, and using some sort of non-petroleum based adhesive to keep them in place. Has anyone ever considered using adhesive instead of running them dry?
Attached Thumbnails Question about Lubricating Poly Bushings during install in Control Arms-2017-03-31-03.37.35.jpg   Question about Lubricating Poly Bushings during install in Control Arms-2017-03-31-03.36.45.jpg  
Old 04-01-2017, 07:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ClippersChris2013
Thank you for your response. I had the same thoughts and felt that it made more sense to install them dry. However, it was very difficult to install them dry so I lubed them as stated by Energy Suspension. Now, the one bushing keeps wanting to slide out of the sleeve slightly and is not flush with the lip. I've attached a couple pictures. I was thinking about removing them, cleaning off the lubricant, and using some sort of non-petroleum based adhesive to keep them in place. Has anyone ever considered using adhesive instead of running them dry?
You're getting some movement of the bushing because you haven't squeezed the frame ears with the retaining bolt, at this point. FWIW, I may not be an "expert" with poly bushings, but have used them, beginning in the late 1970s. I've always lubed ALL of the surfaces, using either Energy Suspension's grease, or a similar, Teflon impregnated lube called 'Super Lube'................
Old 04-07-2017, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
You're getting some movement of the bushing because you haven't squeezed the frame ears with the retaining bolt, at this point. FWIW, I may not be an "expert" with poly bushings, but have used them, beginning in the late 1970s. I've always lubed ALL of the surfaces, using either Energy Suspension's grease, or a similar, Teflon impregnated lube called 'Super Lube'................
Thanks for the response. I was able to get the bushing to stay in place now. I'm not sure what "frame ears" you are referring to.

I did decide to grease all of the surfaces. After thinking it over, I didn't want the bushing pressed into an aluminum sleeve dry. After listening to others advice, I figure it would wear out the sleeve faster if it was dry since there is still some movement on the outside of the bushing even though the main pivot point is on the inside sleeve where the bolt goes through.

Quick Reply: Question about Lubricating Poly Bushings during install in Control Arms