Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best Pinion angle to start with?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Pinion angle to start with?

What is the best pinion angle to start off with? Car is 80% track and 20% street. Car is roughly 3200lbs has coilovers on all 4 corners and 275 pro radials.

Really just trying to get an overall starting point for setting my suspension to test with so I can make adjustments from there.

Any suspension guru's out there?
Old 03-28-2017, 03:25 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Pinion angle will not need to be adjusted more than once, unless you change ride height or torque arm mounting position. It does nothing for traction.
If you run Poly or rubber bushing lower control arms, you will want -2*
If you run rod ends then you can run -1 or 0*

Also, this measurement should be a comparative angle between the engine/trans and rear end. Your rear end should not physically read -2* or whatever you set it for, but that amount less than the angle of the engine/transmission

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-29-2017, 11:36 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

-2 works well for me. No vibration.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Pinion angle will not need to be adjusted more than once, unless you change ride height or torque arm mounting position. It does nothing for traction.
If you run Poly or rubber bushing lower control arms, you will want -2*
If you run rod ends then you can run -1 or 0*

Also, this measurement should be a comparative angle between the engine/trans and rear end. Your rear end should not physically read -2* or whatever you set it for, but that amount less than the angle of the engine/transmission
Thanks for the input

The ride height is about 1" lower than stock. My LCA are rod ends so I guess I will try to start with -1 and work from there.

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
-2 works well for me. No vibration.
Thanks for the input. What is your ride height set at currently?
Old 03-29-2017, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Im running -1.5 degrees with my t56 lowered on strano springs. 1.25inch. No vibrations. Long UMI torque arm on a transmission relocation bracket.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:54 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm lowered down on BMR springs ~ 1.25" and have a long BMR torque arm and trans relo bracket as well.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I have the short tunnel mount torque arm. Im pretty sure that makes a difference.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampWS6
Well I have the short tunnel mount torque arm. Im pretty sure that makes a difference.
Torque arm length, torque arm height at the front, pinion angle, ride height, and LCA angles will indeed effect traction however each individual combination will need something different. Though if you have anything poly related in your suspension worrying about any settings are less critical because their deflection will always change what they where set at while stationary when under acceleration and the older these bushings get the worse it seems to be.

You will always only know the best settings for your combination is by testing, what another person has done will not always work for you.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
Torque arm length, torque arm height at the front, pinion angle, ride height, and LCA angles will indeed effect traction however each individual combination will need something different. Though if you have anything poly related in your suspension worrying about any settings are less critical because their deflection will always change what they where set at while stationary when under acceleration and the older these bushings get the worse it seems to be.

You will always only know the best settings for your combination is by testing, what another person has done will not always work for you.
Understood.

Quick Reply: Best Pinion angle to start with?