Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Powersteering removal. Instructions? Write-ups? How-to's?

Old 06-26-2004, 04:48 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Powersteering removal. Instructions? Write-ups? How-to's?

Im wanting to remove powersteering and was wondering if there were any instructions, write-ups, or how-to's out there? If not, would someone kindly walk me through it? I feel more comfortable having a guide (instructions) while performing something Ive never done before. Anyhow, if there isnt anything out there, could someone please give me some steps? Thanks a lot!
Old 06-26-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you wanting to remove the pump and the rack or just the pump?

The pump should just be 3 bolts threaded into the driver's side head. The rack will have 2 bolts holding it onto the K-member, then the tie rods on each end. It will probably be a little easier if you remove the belt and the hoses first. I would remove the hoses at the rack and let the fluid drain into a bucket.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:50 PM
9 Second Club NA

I plan on removing everything but the rack. I dont have the funds for a manual rack at the moment. So everything else I want to remove. I was in the garage earlier fooling with it, but I didnt get anywhere. Im stumped on how to remove the resevoir with the pulley on it. Is that what youre referring to as the pump? Anyhow, the bolts that hold the bracket which hold the pump are threaded into the head, but there is a bolt behind the resevoir that wont come out because the resevoir is right in its way. The other bolt right next to the water pump wont come out either, it looks like Im going to have to loosen the water pump to get that bolt out. How do I remove the pump, pulley, bracket, etc.? Also, what do I do about the 2 fittings for the lines on the rack? What do I plug them with? Thanks.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm guessing this is for drag only use?

You are only talking about a couple lbs. And with an underdrive pulley, it is not alot of drag (still some).

3 bolts will remove it from the head (just did that today, helping a friend fix a bad head gasket). Loop the hoses together and go, if you really want to....
Old 06-27-2004, 11:32 AM
9 Second Club NA

I wanna remove it so that it cleans up the engine bay, gives me some weight savings, and to free up a little power. I know the savings and power arent much, but everything adds up. I know that 3 bolts will remove the entire assembly from the head, but how do I do so when there is one bolt directly behind the resevoir? I put a wrench on it and loosened it, but how is it suppose to thread all the way out? Lastly, how do I loop the lines together? I wanted to buy some line with those fittings at the end, bend it so that it ties them together and be done with it. I want the line to be like half a square if that makes sense with the fittings at the end to tie the 2 fittings off the rack together. Obviously the line Im going to have to cut and flare one end, but thats no problem, Ive got that covered. The only thing that I need to know is what fittings are those in the rack and what size tubing do I need to buy? Thanks.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:37 PM
9 Second Club NA

Woohoo! I finally got the PS pump off! It was a big pain in the *** Id have to say! My Meziere electric water pump was in the way of the bolt closest to it for the bracket, so I had to loosen the pump so that I could take the bolt out. Then on the bottom bolt, I couldnt figure out a way to get it out, so I removed the alternator out of the way. The bolt in the very back is pain to get to! I couldnt see how the bolt behind the resevoir comes out, but once you get the other 2 bolts out, you can get it out because it will have play in it so that while loosening, youre pulling back the bracket. Anyhow, its off and over with. I hope that I like it because its not going back on. Anyhow, whats the best way to close off the fittings on the rack? I had an idea as I took a look at it...you know the fitting on a T-56 tranny for the drain. I guess its the drain plug, but instead of having a head, its indented with a square in which a 3/8 drive fits in. I was thinking maybe I could use 2 of those in the fittings. Do you think thats possible? Anyhow, if it isnt, what are my options? Last but not least, what thread is in the rack for the fittings? Metric? Standard? size? Thanks.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just removed my pump because I don't need it. Found it easier once I had disconnected the metal pipe running from the pump first - gives more clearance around the back. Still a bit of a pain to do but not rocket science...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Powersteering removal. Instructions? Write-ups? How-to's?