Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering f body questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 09:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am aware that they are called coilovers. I said that some of the PARTS I need are called strut mounts and strut bellows!

I'm not even using that mechanic, he is just one I talked to, so yes I'm getting second opinions.

I wanted to know if it is a common thing to replace all of the control arm bushings...i understand you said the rear one was most likely bad

I have no creaking in any of my suspension parts, which is why I'm hesitant to change the control arm bushings....but if it's not too much money I will change them anyway.

I am changing upper lower balljoints, inner/outer tie rod ends, springs, shocks, upper mounts, bellows, insulators....adjustable panhard bar. Is there any thing else I'm missing? Bearings or something? Thank you

Last edited by Fullblast; 06-03-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Fine someone called it a strut mount (it isn't)

It is very common to change the front LCA rear bushing. The design is not so good and they tear / de-laminate / degrade over time... and not a long period of time in some cases. I don't think you will hear any noise. The rear bushing is called the "ride" bushing so it is not that high of a rate as the other bushing takes more of the load.

Your top mount and bellow, I don't know about their condition. Mine were perfectly fine when I removed them. I can only speak from my experience. If you want to only replace the worn out parts it isn't possible to know until they tear into it.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

I may as well get the control arm bushings replaced.

The moogs are about $170 for a set and energy suspension is $80.

Are the moogs that much better?

Do I get the insulators with the bearings in them?
Old 06-04-2017, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

Moogs are likely an OEM type replacement... energy suspension are likely poly. Depends on what you want. If you are replacing ball joints and your bushings and you have to pay labor you might as well just replace the entire lca.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
Moogs are likely an OEM type replacement... energy suspension are likely poly. Depends on what you want. If you are replacing ball joints and your bushings and you have to pay labor you might as well just replace the entire lca.
With what, a Mevotech part??
Old 06-04-2017, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

Mevotech or dorman?

Im actually thinking buying all 4 lcas with balljoints and bushings installed might be the best option to save on labor.

The balljoints and bushings wont be moog though.

Do the upper shock mounts and isolators need to be moog or can i go with a cheaper brand? It seems like they are not as important as far as wear goes. I could be wrong though. I can get ebay brands of mounts and isolators for half the price of moog.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Fullblast
Mevotech or dorman?

Im actually thinking buying all 4 lcas with balljoints and bushings installed might be the best option to save on labor.

The balljoints and bushings wont be moog though.

Do the upper shock mounts and isolators need to be moog or can i go with a cheaper brand? It seems like they are not as important as far as wear goes. I could be wrong though. I can get ebay brands of mounts and isolators for half the price of moog.
This was discussed in another thread, a few weeks ago. My opinion is this....look at the price of the complete Mevotech a-arm, and compare it to just the cost of the Moog ball joint. There IS a reason for this.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Ill have to check that thread out.

Rockauto has a set of 4 Mevotechs for $230 shipped.

Moog balljoints and bushings will be around $200.....plus another $150-$200 in labor to install them.

So yeah, if the mevotechs are good, i think i'll go that route. Then i can sell my old control arms for a few bucks locally.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:23 AM
TECH Veteran

.....plus another $150-$200 in labor to install them.
I can't believe the labor cost is that much............I should come out of retirement, and just R&R 4th gen ball joints and bushings. I could charge half that, and still make some serious money!

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2017, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, im just going to get new control arms and a spring compressor and lower the car myself.

One shop wanted $400 to put springs, shocks, and new mounts on.....and another $200 to put inner and outer tie rod ends on...screw that
Old 06-05-2017, 04:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, im just going to get new control arms and a spring compressor and lower the car myself.

One shop wanted $400 to put springs, shocks, and new mounts on.....and another $200 to put inner and outer tie rod ends on...screw that
Just keep in mind, you're probably not going to get 1st class ball joints, for that price....
Old 06-05-2017, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah I was referring to aftermarket not OEM type lca... I cant speak for the quality of those cheap lca, might be ok i have no idea.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Just keep in mind, you're probably not going to get 1st class ball joints, for that price....
Those prices were for labor only. I have to buy all the parts separately...so its even more money.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Those prices were for labor only. I have to buy all the parts separately...so its even more money.
You may want to consider buying a GOOD ball joint press for yourself. It would probably run you around $75, or so, but they can be used to R&R ball joints, control arm bushings, and universal joints. I bought one about 35 years ago, and it was worth every penny I spent for it.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

Why would i need a balljoint press if the mevotech control arms come with the balljoints and bushings installed?
Old 06-07-2017, 06:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Why would i need a balljoint press if the mevotech control arms come with the balljoints and bushings installed?
So you can buy 1st class Moog ball joints and control arm bushings, install they yourself, save some money, and have a tool that will come in handy, in the future.

However, it's your car, your money, and possibly your safety. I'm just trying to offer some advice...............
Old 06-07-2017, 10:43 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

We use ProForged balljoints in our arms. Top quality, greasable and reasonably priced. They will run you about $140 for a full set of uppers and lowers. Bushings though I would go with Moog. I would be wary of the complete arms that are the cost of just the good balljoints. I have a feeling they will not have the same service life and quality of using good components in your stock arms

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 06-07-2017, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Much more important issue that I have been wondering about for a few years....

Eric - who is the chick with the **** in the BMR sig picture?
Old 06-08-2017, 06:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
We use ProForged balljoints in our arms. Top quality, greasable and reasonably priced. They will run you about $140 for a full set of uppers and lowers. Bushings though I would go with Moog. I would be wary of the complete arms that are the cost of just the good balljoints. I have a feeling they will not have the same service life and quality of using good components in your stock arms.
Thank you!!

I've been trying to get that message across for a while, but many people are more focused on price, than anything else.

After I retired from full-time work, I worked part-time, for several years, at a local Advance Auto parts store. When it came to suspension parts, we carried two lines, the 1st quality Moog parts, and the generic, house brand parts, that came packaged in white boxes.

We generally sold the Moog parts to the people who were interested in performance and longevity. The "white box" parts generally were sold to the used car wholesalers, who needed to replace a TOTALLY shot part, and just wanted to get the car drivable for the length of the warranty they provided with the car, usually 90 days.

I'll say this, I personally have zero experience with the Mevotech or Dorman control arms. HOWEVER, in a price driven world, when their complete control arm, with ball joints and bushings already installed, sell for just a few dollars more than a single Moog lower ball joint, you have to know, that something has to be second rate............
Old 06-13-2017, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anybody installed these mevotech upper and lower arms?

Quick Reply: Lowering f body questions.