Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering springs and body roll (mitch, please come in)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering springs and body roll (mitch, please come in)

First of all, here's my suspension mods:

Koni SA's
Prokit
ST 35mm front swaybar
LG rod end LCAs
LG APHR
RT adjustable TA
BMR weld-in SFCs
BMR extreme STB

For some reason the prokit absolutely slammed my car. You guys would be surprised if I had pics to show you. Up until now, this has just been an inconvenience - now, however, I'm starting to commute more, and the ride is just bad because I think the car is practically riding on the bumpstops. I am pleased with the way my car handles, especially the lack of body roll. My question is: if I step back to maybe an SLP Eibach spring or ?? (suggestions please) will my car pick up any noticeable body roll? I know a car that rollerskate car doesn't necessarily handle well, but I have the car setup well now with good autocross input, and I enjoy the "planted" feeling no body roll creates. I just can't take road imperfections rattling my teeth out anymore. Perhaps GC is an option, but who sells it and for how much? I think the spring rates are fine, the suspension just needs more room to travel. Help!
Old 06-29-2004, 12:17 AM
Launching!

I'm not Mitch, but if you're asking whether added ride height from slightly taller springs would increase your body roll, my opinion is no it wouldn't. At least not noticeably; the anti-roll bars should be the major factor that limits left to right weight transfer when cornering
Old 06-29-2004, 03:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Springs support the weight of the car, sway bars tune where you want the weight to go during a turn.

I've advocated over and over, that using sway bars to act as torsion bars is asking a part to do things it wasn't meant to do.

You don't mention a rear sway bar, so I will assume the stocker.

What are the spring rates for the SLP Eibachs, compared to the Prokit? If the rate is virtually the same, just the ride height is different, and everything else remains the same, your body roll should stay close to the same.

Unless, you are, as you contend, on the bump stops. For the rear, that is entirely possible. IF you are on the stops, then any ride height adjustment, using the same rate will probably give you more body roll.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

If I recall, the rear SLP springs are the same rate as the Pro-Kit and the SLP fronts are a progressive spring rather than linear.

If you're up for it, the GC is the way to go, especially since it works with the shocks you already have. PM'd you with more info.

Quick Reply: Lowering springs and body roll (mitch, please come in)