Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wilwood Rotor replacement, scary!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 07:53 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wilwood Rotor replacement, scary!!

I am purchasing a set of front wilwood caliper, rotor and pads. Unfortunately the rotors and pads are done for and the rotors can't be turned due to them being steel and not cast. Looking up the replacement (PN - #160-13544BK) they are roughly $220 a piece! Plus the American exchange rate for me which is more then I am paying for the entire package! Is there any knock off rotors for these calipers that would fit? They measure 12.88x1.1". Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-06-2017, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Since that part number is for the outer ring of a two piece rotor, I don't think you will find a cheaper replacement part. You might be able to find a single piece rotor to replace the whole thing, but then you lose the advantages of your two piece setup. Gotta pay to play sorta thing. Cheap replacement parts are one of the reasons the Brembos from CTSV's or 2010+ SS's are popular.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Ok thanks! I'd be interested in pricing a full piece rotor. Just not sure what vehicle/application would come with the same size!?
Old 07-07-2017, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Kore3 for their setups.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fwiw, I shifted from an all-Wilwood "muscle car conversion" kit (with 12"×.88" rotors) to a combination Kore3 spindle adapter+C6 Z51 Corvette rotor+Wilwood caliper set up a couple years ago for cost and durability reasons. I encountered the same problem with the cost of replacement rotors (which happened frequently because I was cooking the brakes road racing). The low mass of the rotors was the primary issue, with lack of ducting making it even worse.

When I went to the Kore3 conversion, I also added 3" ducts. The basic chevy 13.4" rotors are 1 piece, and cost me 55 each from Rock auto. You can get very nice slotted ones for 80 each (or more for crossed drilled bling).

This year, I switched from Kore3 to new spindles that take c6 factory hubs as direct bolt ins. The Kore3 stuff was (and remains) an incredibly well-made setup. I can't praise them high enough for their engineering. Impressive. However, I have a 2nd Gen TA, and was running into problems with bearing leakage, with the grease caps loosening during use. This is an issue 4th gen guys don't have to deal with.

I also had a problem finding wheels that fit my backspace specs, were fully forged, didn't require spacers, and didn't cost a kidnappers ransom. Again, this is an issue specific to older cars, and the limited choices available for a wheel that clears the original spindle/hub design.

Quick Reply: Wilwood Rotor replacement, scary!!