Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni STR.T/Strano Spring

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 05:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Sadly many folks think, somehow that STR.T's are in some way equivalent to Sports, they aren't. STR.T's are built to fill a niche at the lower end of the market. And while their rebound damping is decent, it's not great and the durability is such that if they did not have a lifetime warranty that was well supported I'd likely not use them very often.

But they do have a warranty that is well supported. And I don't know that the valving is all that bad, but wonder if you have a shock that has failed on compression. Again, would recommend you swap left and right shocks and see if the issue changes sides or not.

But I will add this too. If you notice most complaints are the Right rear. The side where the exhaust crosses the Panhard bar brace, and that's a tight fit. And when the car gets stiffer, the exhaust in the soft rubber hangers tens to move around more since it's being jarred more than with softer stock springs. And when that exhaust bangs on the PHB brace, it can be a big thunk.

A little due diligence here would be helpful. Try the shock thing first and let's see what happens.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-19-2017, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Are yours yellow or orange?

The bumpstops, and the damping force in the shocks work hand in hand with the springs. Remember that my springs are some 40 pounds an inch stiffer than stock. We don't want them super stiff, lest you drive around in what seems like an empty one ton truck.
Hi Sam , if you are asking me...I'm pretty sure mine are yellow. But my car is in Long Island at the transmission shop right now so I can't check to be certain.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sam, I'll swap the rear shocks next time I get the car on the lift. I would usually think of this stuff like this on my own but I guess my brain has gone to ****, thanks for the reminder.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For what it's worth I went through that same intersection today and the rear didn't slam into the body\bumpstops. What changed? I went back to stock springs.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Do koni sports pair well with hotchkis springs? I am getting close to ordering a set but would rather keep my springs to save money.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Got a hell of a deal on a set of NIB koni yellows.. $590.00. Plus Konis $50 rebate going on right now so only out $540. will be installing them late this week or early next. Cant wait to see how they compare to the bilsteins ive had.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
Got a hell of a deal on a set of NIB koni yellows.. $590.00. Plus Konis $50 rebate going on right now so only out $540. will be installing them late this week or early next. Cant wait to see how they compare to the bilsteins ive had.
dude...enjoy!
for starters set the fronts at midway, don't know how many sweeps that is.
the rears +1 from full soft, you'll have a very responsive fun handling f-body.

or you can leave them at full soft and it will still be better than the bilsteins, but why go for better when you can have GREAT???
Old 09-26-2017, 06:52 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks, i will try those settings.

Gonna be selling the bilstein re-valves i bought from strano. Had them on awhile but probably only got 8k miles on them if anyone is interested. I will post them in the classifieds when i get them all off.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:31 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Strano/Koni STR*T combo on my 97 SS and let me tell you, it truly wakes up the 4th gen platform. I have no issue keeping up with more powerful cars around the curves thanks to the confidence inspiring grip that this combo provides.

Quick Reply: Koni STR.T/Strano Spring