Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Truck steering wont go back on center anymore

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Truck steering wont go back on center anymore

I know this site is geared towards fast LS powered cars, but I can only be active on so many types of forums so I'll post this here.

My truck - 2000 Silverado 4wd, 35" tires - started acting strange a couple of weeks ago. I haven't changed anything recently, although the new wheels and tires-despite being the same size-are significantly heavier than my last set and have been on for 3 or 4 months now. Anyway, the steering wheel does not want to return back to center the way it has for years now. Making say a sharp, low speed left when I let go of the wheel it would basically center itself. You know how you kind of let go of the wheel for a few seconds and it zip back around? Now the wheel starts to turn on its own initially but then stops and I have to steer it back straight again. It's very annoying since I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on this thing and am used to it feeling one way. I often find I'm forgetting that it wont center itself anymore and have to make a quick correction. Makes it look like I'm retarded and is startling.

Alignment? Worn suspension parts? Is this a common thing?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lower ball joints are probably dry or worn out.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Well I certainly imagine that they are, they haven't been replaced in years. What exactly would this cause? Front end parts have always been something I have a tough time conceptualizing, like they are mysterious for some reason. Kinda like the inner workings of an automatic transmission.

If they are worn they have been worn for QUITE some time, so are they now possibly critically worn? Like dangerously?
Old 08-16-2017, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am just guessing that it's the lower ball joints, they are not uncommon to go bad on these trucks, especially with oversized tires.

The lower ball joint is what the entire front of the vehicle rides on, it has to rotate as well as articulate when the suspension moves through its travel. If it is dry or starting to corrode, they will not want to move. If they have been replaced before, you might just try hitting them with a pump or 2 of grease and see if it helps. If they are still factory they are likely not replaceable.

As for critically worn or not, I don't know, it might be something else entirely, but I would not one to fail going down the highway.

Quick Reply: Truck steering wont go back on center anymore