Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Replacing EBC yellows for the fronts...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Replacing EBC yellows for the fronts...

WTF is this stuff???
looks like carbonized ceramic from the pads???
Old 09-26-2017, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its protruding from the edges, it might just be old dried up grease with some brake dust melted into it. Is it rock solid or kinda flexible?
Old 09-27-2017, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

it's brittle and hollow, like wood shavings except it's sitting along the top and the sides of the brake pads.

GREAT brakes, I installed them back in Oct 2016, they lasted less than 8k miles on it.

I was also driving the **** out of my car, hard on the brakes, I just wore them out apparently.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The yellows stop really good and basically self destruct in the process
but they don't last for ****. So with that said looks to be pretty normal for the yellow ones
Old 10-23-2017, 11:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

What do you mean they didn't last? That edge is just from how the pad sits on the rotor, the pad isn't junk and it looks not terribly worn, though the angle is bad. Just looking at the groove.

There are other pads we can try. On my Camaro with the kit I run using a Wilwood caliper on the street I run Yellows, but on the track I run Raybestos ST43. I have been using EBC BlueStuff on my Corvette most of this year.

We have options

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-26-2017, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
What do you mean they didn't last? That edge is just from how the pad sits on the rotor, the pad isn't junk and it looks not terribly worn, though the angle is bad. Just looking at the groove.

There are other pads we can try. On my Camaro with the kit I run using a Wilwood caliper on the street I run Yellows, but on the track I run Raybestos ST43. I have been using EBC BlueStuff on my Corvette most of this year.

We have options
LOL Sam, I've been driving my car like the night rider in Mad Max hahaha!!!

they lasted 7k miles and that's cuz I basically wore them out. I was just surprised at how they didn't last long AND, I wasn't driving responsibly. Never said they were junk either, they're the best stopping pads I've ever put on my car AND, I abused the **** outta them.
I tripped seeing that stuff though, never seen any other pad do this.

I figure I'm gonna stick with the yellows, their performance is unequaled.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im running Yellow stuff, and whilst they are a dirty pad in my opinion (can clean the wheels and go for a 10 mile drive and theres dust all over them again), they stop the car the best out of all I have tried out. I have noticed the same effect when changing my pads - the black flecks of material.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
LOL Sam, I've been driving my car like the night rider in Mad Max hahaha!!!

they lasted 7k miles and that's cuz I basically wore them out. I was just surprised at how they didn't last long AND, I wasn't driving responsibly. Never said they were junk either, they're the best stopping pads I've ever put on my car AND, I abused the **** outta them.
I tripped seeing that stuff though, never seen any other pad do this.

I figure I'm gonna stick with the yellows, their performance is unequaled.
We can look at other pad options if you like. There are others, but the options for your calipers are more limited than most.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-27-2017, 12:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by TheNutDriver
Im running Yellow stuff, and whilst they are a dirty pad in my opinion (can clean the wheels and go for a 10 mile drive and theres dust all over them again), they stop the car the best out of all I have tried out. I have noticed the same effect when changing my pads - the black flecks of material.
Oh, they aren't clean. Funny enough BlueStuff after tracking are cleaner, but not every pad size come in that compound.

But Camaro pads do. So do C5's, and C6's.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Oh, they aren't clean. Funny enough BlueStuff after tracking are cleaner, but not every pad size come in that compound.

But Camaro pads do. So do C5's, and C6's.

We aren't allowed to run the bluestuff on the road over here in the UK due to EU regulations! Might change that if we ever actually leave the EU....but could be some time before that ever happens!
Old 03-08-2018, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
it's brittle and hollow, like wood shavings except it's sitting along the top and the sides of the brake pads.

GREAT brakes, I installed them back in Oct 2016, they lasted less than 8k miles on it.

I was also driving the **** out of my car, hard on the brakes, I just wore them out apparently.
Huh? I don't know if it's just the angle, but it looks like there is a TON of friction material left on those pads. Like at least another 20k - 30k miles worth.

Quick Reply: Replacing EBC yellows for the fronts...