Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

suggested spring compressor for hotchkis

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default suggested spring compressor for hotchkis

I installed the lowering spring about 7 years ago with some cheap struts from auto one. I had a hell of a time getting the rental spring compressor out or in and actually ground the ears of and prayed it didn't fly off. After 7 years and ~200 miles later ( its been sitting) I am going to replace the struts but need a compressor or some other way to compress them since the coils are wound so tight. Probably going with the str.t struts and trying to figure out what other stuff in there I need, they are really rusty. Any help is appreciated
Old 10-11-2017, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I used the autozone piece both times. But bring them into a shop and it should be fairly cheap. Once you figure out the manual spring compressor its not bad. I took apart the bottom piece and threaded them both down the spring with a hammer. Went down till i could get about 5 coils then installed the long rods and top lugs. A long pair of chanellocks will come in handy.

An impact makes short work of the top nut when putting them back together so you dont have to brace the threaded rod. Once i figured out a system the second one only took me about 30 minutes.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
I used the autozone piece both times. But bring them into a shop and it should be fairly cheap. Once you figure out the manual spring compressor its not bad. I took apart the bottom piece and threaded them both down the spring with a hammer. Went down till i could get about 5 coils then installed the long rods and top lugs. A long pair of chanellocks will come in handy.

An impact makes short work of the top nut when putting them back together so you dont have to brace the threaded rod. Once i figured out a system the second one only took me about 30 minutes.
Rented this beast from auto zone and worked like a champ!!!!

Old 10-14-2017, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thats badass, wish the guy told me about that since i just put konis on.

Quick Reply: suggested spring compressor for hotchkis