Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SCCA Club Trials in the Z06 (Camaro still in process)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 12:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Default SCCA Club Trials in the Z06 (Camaro still in process)

Spend my weekend instructing and running SCCA Club Time Trials.

A friend and customer of mine brought his 2001 Trans Am on Sunday. Basically has my Handling Pack 7 on it with the Strano/Wilwood brake kit, my new adapters for Corvette Xtracker hubs, some 10 spoke Camaro SS wheels, oil cooler, and Nitto NT01's. No Watts link (that's next). Car ran great and was a riot to drive. Just more wiggly in the back than I am now used to since I have had Watts links on my cars for going on a decade now. It was interesting to go back to a Panhard bar, not that I would recommend it.

Non LS related, my Saturday guy was in a Viper ACR. Long story short, I want one.

And back to LS relates suspension. While this is majority populated with F-body folk, a Corvette has an LS and has a suspension. I own one and work on them too.

So here's my video of my best timed lap, you'll see I didn't get a good run onto the lap either since I had to wait for a Mini Cooper S to point me by.

Remind yourselves who are the folks out there running cars, setting up cars, and instructing others in their cars.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-23-2017, 12:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Oh I almost forgot. The engine we are building for the Camaro should make very similar power to my LS7 in the Z06. I kind of did that on purpose because I want to show just how capable an F-body, built right and remaining street friendly, can be. I expect it to be just as quick or quicker than you just saw from the Corvette when on the same tires.

Granted the Corvette ins't modded nearly as much, but it also is a Corvette Z06, on Koni's and alignment and good tires, etc. It's a better starting point, and my Camaro even with the engine built costs far, far less.

To be honest, I have more fun in the Camaro because it pisses other people off. They expect something from the Z06, the Camaro, I just surprise them.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-23-2017, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way cool!
Old 10-24-2017, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

When do you plan to start selling those hub adapters? Any details you will share?
Old 10-24-2017, 02:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Very soon. 10 sets are made, they are out being plated now. I might have them back as soon as Friday with a set of hubs, with more coming.

Pair of adapters only is $459. Hubs are $349 each, which I think you'll find is a price that doesn't make it worth your time and effort to shop around vs. just getting everything from Strano Performance.

A full kit is $1159 pending final costs. A full kit includes the 2 Xtracker Hubs, which are the hub used to design these, adapters, and hardware.

The effective offset of your wheels does not change from the stock Camaro/Firebird hub. Face of the hub/rotor sit exactly where they do with the stock hubs so the wheels don't move in or out. Note that this is NOT the case if you were to try and use a GM Corvette hub because of detail differences on the back.

We are Black Zinc plating the adapters too.

They were designed by us, not copies of others, though there isn't a lot of ways to do this. We have been running two sets on two cars all year long. Both cars run on Hoosier A7's in 315 size and have big brake kits to put the maximum stress on these we could.

What other details do you want? There just isn't that much to go on and on about.

Pics below are uncoated, which is how we have run them all year so we can see how they hold up more easily. PRODUCTION VERSIONS ARE BLACK ZINC PLATED

Old 10-24-2017, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

Sam

Thanks for the details. This is a part we need and the price is reasonable. I only AutoX my car and I still have the original hubs running 315 Rival S, but I still feel I'm on borrowed time. Our season is over and it has been a blast due to changing just about everything on car. Last mod was your brake brace and I have to admit it does work.

I haven't been at an event this year that I recall a well driven C6 Z06 for me to compare to, but I've been running almost the exact times as my buddies C5 FRC. I'm just glad you and UMI are still working to support these cars, because it is fun to run a car that typically isn't that quick and is getting more rare. My car is right about 500hp crank btw.

This would the xtracker with ABS provision I assume, which is why the hole in the bottom.

-Brian
Old 10-24-2017, 03:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
Sam

This would the xtracker with ABS provision I assume, which is why the hole in the bottom.

-Brian
Not sure I follow what you are asking. Xtrackers have the ABS in them, and they directly plug in, so your ABS works perfectly as long as it isn't busted in some other way.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

Lol... no my ABS it isn't busted (yet). I checked SKFs website and they sell xtracker hubs w/ and w/o abs, so I was just checking.

Sounds good, definitely in my future.

Thanks for the quick response!
Old 10-24-2017, 03:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Don't check other things, that is where things get all screwed up. These are Corvette hubs, they have ABS, so the hubs have ABS. Passive and Active ABS are still all ABS, just different versions. I know which ones you need.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Sam are you going to offer the correct ABS plugs for the x-tracker hubs in your kit as well? Any thought on having longer ARP fastener upgrade option?
Old 10-24-2017, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Again, lol. I checked because I was confirming xtracker was the SKF brand. SKF are the best!
Old 10-24-2017, 03:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

My hubs plugged right in without any issue and have never come loose, not sure what needs to change there.

ARP studs. I have them and can sell them in addition if folks want. Not sure I will do the swap, as it's quite easy to do yourself and people don't like to pay for things, and it will often incur more shipping if I have to bring all sets of hubs here to do the work, plus labor. But if someone wants it, I can do it.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
Again, lol. I checked because I was confirming xtracker was the SKF brand. SKF are the best!
SKF has normal bearing and Xtrackers. My adapters are specifically for the updraded, tougher Xtracker units. I looked at making the adapter take both those and a stock C5/C6 hub but it would take more work for a hub that won't last as long.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The ABS clip difference is very minimal. Just where the locking feature clips together. Sounds like it's not really an issue though.

Stock style below:

If needed these clips are the correct ones:

Old 10-25-2017, 03:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Awaiting bolts and washers for the hub adapters. I have a pair of hubs here now, another pair inbound next week, waiting to order more as I need them.

But we are pretty much ready. the Hub adapters came into my hands today.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Back on topic.... Although since I have the same hubs on the Corvette it's related?

Look at that camber curve. Strano Front bar, Koni's, Hoosier's (not street tires) and a few other parts we make.

Quick Reply: SCCA Club Trials in the Z06 (Camaro still in process)