Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

rear end noise??? 1998 f-body

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end noise??? 1998 f-body

Was driving yesterday and wheel hopped a lil bit while turning left, wasn't trying to spin out just gas it to much throttle.... Well after that I've noticed my driver side wheel area seems to be making a thump thump thump/ click click click click noise. It goes faster as I speed up like its the tire but its not the tire, also quiets down while accelerating but gets loud when in neutral and moving..... It's driving me crazy and I'm worried it's in the rear end somewhere.....maybe wheel bearing I don't know but I can feel the car bounce slightly as I'm moving, bouncing with the thumping noise.... Any help??????
Old 11-01-2017, 06:09 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Moving to suspension and brakes.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Thanx wssix, I'm outside right now messing with her.... I'm about to take of the wheel and start the process of elimination... I did have a problem when I switched to these C4 ZR1 wheels.... My lug nuts seem kinda short cause the lug wrench kept hitting the wheel-lug-holes when tightening them. I didn't have the center cap off tho .... So I didn't think much about it. I did make sure they were all tight before driving tho... Thanks. I'll update as I go along with this piece
Old 11-01-2017, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

if I was guessing, I'm thinking that the wheelhop knocked a chunk off of the ring or pinion gear. probably going to have to pull the rear cover and inspect.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:56 PM
Teching In

I fixed it, it's embarrassing but it was the lug nuts coming off. One of them broke off. Stud and all. During a hard turn I imagine..... I cranked them down this time. Especially since one of them is missing. Thanks. I'm about to go test drive to make sure that was the whole problem.... Later
Old 11-01-2017, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Oh yeah. These ZR1 wheels did not have center caps..... Came from 95-96 gran sport I believe..... That's why I never took off the center caps in the first place, they didn't exist. LOL 😁
Old 11-01-2017, 06:15 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by krunkcat
During a hard turn I imagine.....
Probably not. Most likely this happened because they were improperly torqued. Torquing the bolts physically stretches them and can cause them to fail in tension if over-torqued.

Originally Posted by krunkcat
I cranked them down this time.
Best to not drive the car until you get a torque wrench and can properly verify you have the proper 100 ft lbs of torque. Loosening them may make them safer if you are over-tightened. If properly torqued, there will be sufficient friction that the nuts WILL NOT come off.

Quick Reply: rear end noise??? 1998 f-body