Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

front end clunk after lowering

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default front end clunk after lowering

have a question, i have a 2000 trans am convertible. i just swapped my stock suspension for some bilsteins with strano springs on all 4 corners. bought them used with less then 2000 miles on all of it. the ride is nice but when i hit a bump in the road there is a loud clunk in the front of the car, it wasn't there before the suspension upgrade. not sure whats up or if its "settling" or what not. what should i look into, car has 158k and from what i can tell its all original, i replaced tie rod ends and end links earlier in the year. bottom control arm bushings look cracked as do the tops but i dont wanna just start replacing everything if its normal or what ever. THANKS!
Old 11-18-2017, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told that its imperative that when putting springs on these cars, even if the top shock mount nut can physically be screwed onto the shocks thread without compressing the spring, the spring must be compressed so that the upper shock mount contacts the top of the shock first and not the spring - before you tighten the nut, otherwise the front end will clunk every time.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

i was told they were installed right but i can double check it when i get a free moment
Old 11-19-2017, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you tightened the front sway bar with the wheels off and up off the ground, sometimes you have to tighten the sway bar endlinks again after front end is in normal position. This probably doesn't apply to rubber bushings as much as poly bushings.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

So the previous owner had 0 clunk, i do have poly end links so I’ll try that first and one of the bushings was starting to deteriorate so maybe I’ll swap them again and get new sway bar bushings.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TheNutDriver
I was told that its imperative that when putting springs on these cars, even if the top shock mount nut can physically be screwed onto the shocks thread without compressing the spring, the spring must be compressed so that the upper shock mount contacts the top of the shock first and not the spring - before you tighten the nut, otherwise the front end will clunk every time.
I didn't compress my front springs at all when I installed them. BMR/Koni setup. Reused stock upper mount, looked brand new. Zero noise, zero issues.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
I didn't compress my front springs at all when I installed them. BMR/Koni setup. Reused stock upper mount, looked brand new. Zero noise, zero issues.

I'm just going by what I have been personally told, and after hearing this I read up about it on this site and it is well documented as being an issue on a lot of installs, but not all.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

One such thread right here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ng-shocks.html
Old 11-21-2017, 02:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

It is the top nut, I can pretty much guarantee it. The spring is plenty short enough to put the upper mount on without compressing, and if the shop is not told otherwise, they won't know (they should but they won't).

The upper mount MUST sit on the shock first, before the spring, no slack here before the nut is tightened. If not, you end up tightening the nut down at the very end against the spring rate. But that little nut can't compress my spring. However, the car's weight will, and then you end up with slop in between the top of the shock (since the spring carries the car's weight) and the shock mount. And CLUNK.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: front end clunk after lowering