Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best lowering springs ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
I will start by saying that I have never spent a dime on Sam's website but that being said I see a lot of companies use forum posts to "pimp" their line of product. UMI and BMR do it constantly in this very section fwiw. Yet they are never called out on it. Fact is, that's why they are here, to generate interest and business to their product lines.

His attitude may offend people on here (hell I have been gruffed by it over the years and even swore off on buying his parts because of it) but I can see how someone would get to that point and now better understand it. I even understand why he's said the things he has said in this thread; because the internet has convinced people that loyalty and thanks for help are rewarded by buying elsewhere. I would be pissed too if I talked about my product and then someone said "here's a link to buy nearly the same thing from a big box store for a cheaper price". Every single person in this thread would at some point grow tired of that same scenario happening.

The Brembo/Wilwood comparison took me a little bit to understand but it makes sense at least in my head now. First off, who cares if you have to cut an ear off your spindle? You aren't going back to stock brakes after upgrading. Be real here. Second he offers them as a choice where you get new and proven parts that have the future added benefit of off the shelf replacement parts at the local autoparts store. I haven't fully researched the ATS setup yet but I know with the CTS-V/Camaro setup you have to have your rotors machined to fit every time they are replaced (which could be every weekend). So why not offer this as a much more complete and user friendly setup for similar time and money investment? As far as being tailor fit to the car, he probably sat down with the Wilwood catalog and found a caliper with piston sizes that would work well with our master cylinder sizing and that would also fit under a good portion of 17" wheels AND would work with C5 pads and rotors. Which is better than just throwing on a brand new flashy Brembo caliper because it says "Brembo" on the side and has more pistons in the body.

I have read every reply in this thread and again found Sam to come across rather gruff at times but lots of people also sound pretty whiny and entitled. Mad that he's not kissing your *** for business and answering every question with a Chik-Fil-A-worker level of wanting more questions. The man's parts are well proven and even copied so that obviously means something. He also sounds pretty long winded and like the type that will tell you from his proven experience. I'm not sure how much more you could want. If you want coddling, go to a daycare and check yourself in. If you want proven parts and answers, he sounds like someone that can easily fit that bill.
Let me start by saying I completely agree that it is ignorant and frustrating that people use Sam by calling him up with questions on parts they fully know they are going to buy from another source. I would personally never call or initiate contact with a business if I knew I was going to buy the same product somewhere else. The only interaction I've had with Sam outside of the forum was some e-mail traffic regarding his springs and Koni's, which I then purchased from him after getting the info I required. If you know you're going to buy the product from Summit or wherever, then call them for info. And even if you find it for a few dollars less after talking with Sam on the phone for a while, I agree that you should still buy from him (within reason). Not everyone will agree with that, but I do think from an integrity standpoint that you should at least have intentions from buying the product from Sam if you're initiating contact with him.

What I do take issue with is when he brings that same attitude / argument to the forum. The forum is for information sharing, and people looking to learn from others who have already done it. It's great and helpful when Sam offers his insight or knowledge, but if he's the one initiating the contact (i.e. because he wants to sell his product) then he can't get angry about "giving out free advice". In the first scenario of someone calling him up and asking questions, they are initiating the contact because it benefits them. They need his knowledge. In the second scenario of the forum, Sam is initiating contact because he wants to make a sales pitch. It's in his interest to answer the question by stating the pros of his product, because he's hoping to make money off of it. If that person turns around and buys a product Sam recommended in a post from somewhere else, that's just how it goes - that person didn't initiate or ask Sam specifically for his information, so he has no obligation to him. And if Sam chimes in on every thread on the forum, that doesn't automatically make each of those people indebted to him. He also can't use phone customers calling him as reasoning why nobody can post a Summit link in a thread he's involved in, because they are two very different types of interactions that aren't related.

Again don't get me wrong, my issue isn't with the forum sales pitch - as you said lots of other vendors do it too, and there's no issue with saying "buy my springs because they are the best". The problem is that you can't suddenly get upset if they don't go for your sales pitch, and even worse, you can't put up false narratives and half truths about other products or options just to make yours sound better. The ATS brake setup that you speak of, I was involved in that thread, and I had a very different takeaway from it. I have no issues with Sam saying the pros of his kit, but he also bashes the CTS / ATS brakes as not being suitable for our cars. When pressed for reasons why, he deflects with every bit of irrelevant information you can think of. When people compare bore sizes between his setup and the Brembos, and refute his half arguments with facts about the vehicles the Brembos came on OEM, it's crickets. He clearly has no factual reason or data to say the Brembos aren't a good fit, and other posters did the homework and proved what he said to be false. And there's no reason for that, other than he's trying to make a sale, and he's used to being able to make bold statements and having people believe him without any kind of data or facts. As another poster above here said, he likes customers that he can 'educate' in a one-sided way, but anyone that wants to have a further discussion and provide their own input is less welcomed.

And FWIW, Willwood sells the calipers from his kit as an upgrade for the C5 - the reason he says it's a good match is because the C5 and 4th gen F-Body share similar braking systems, and if Willwood sells it as a C5 replacement, then it must be a good replacement for our cars. That's all fine, and he is welcome to market how well they will work, but he also can't just throw out unsubstantiated claims about the Brembos. If you read that thread fully there's nobody in there putting them on "just because of a Brembo sticker" - there is a fair bit of data and analysis backing them up too.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eatinstang4life
So i was going to use this thread to see options on lowering springs for myself. Guess no longer discussing that.
TDLR:
Strano springs are the best
BMR copied strano springs because everyone was buying strano's instead of BMRs
/thread
Old 02-05-2018, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Hard to ask about lowering springs without bringing up strano, lol. Probably a reason for that.

OP - not knocking you but holy S it is so easy to find so much information about 4th gen lowering springs on here without asking. It's the one area I am most versed in just because I kept reading about here before I bought my springs. There is sooooooo much out there but ime and time again it boils down to -- Strano/BMR and Koni sports. Done deal. I don't know if BMR's are rip off Strano's but they had their Koni sale one year and gave away the springs for free --- how do I say no to that? I can tell you I am very happy with them.

I'm honestly not sure about how I feel with Sam. I totally get his frustration with having his brain picked without compensation. And how it must be frustrating to see people throwing up links to suspension parts on Summit that he sells. The price matching question should have gone offline. I put a thread up about losing my brakes during "spirited" driving and he chimed in and made a lot of sense. I think we IM'd about options afterwards. And no, I didn't buy from him because I saw what I was looking for for sale in the forum. Hard to pay more for something because it's the right things to do when you know you're hurting someone else. But throwing up that Summit link....godam dude. That's a slap in the face.

Having said all that I've seen him come across questionably in the past, perhaps on this thread as well. But there is never a shortage of people ready to attack someone and call them a complete ******* when something didn't go right for them, so I'm sure some of the **** he gets hit with isn't fair.

It's the fng internet man. It's awesome but Holy **** does it also sucks.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Eatinstang4life
So i was going to use this thread to see options on lowering springs for myself. Guess no longer discussing that.
LOL ..I saw replies and was excited there might be pics after I asked if anyone had installed Sam's .5 spacers on rear springs

I wish there was a vendor feedback/experience thread all the off topic BS could have been taken to or started. Maybe a mod will clean it up.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by capelajc
LOL ..I saw replies and was excited there might be pics after I asked if anyone had installed Sam's .5 spacers on rear springs

I wish there was a vendor feedback/experience thread all the off topic BS could have been taken to or started. Maybe a mod will clean it up.
Agreed..The lengths of some of these posts are almost at "War and Peace" level. Lol. This thread is ready for the Maury show. "You are NOT!! going to get lowering spring information OP!

Last edited by black sky; 02-05-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by black sky
Agreed..The lengths of some of these posts are almost at "War and Peace" level. Lol. This thread is ready for the Maury show. "You are NOT!! going to get lowering spring information!
LMAO!!
Old 02-06-2018, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have sams sways and a bmr/koni setup because they are cheaper and weigh the same. Both pretty similar springs but i am going to save money where i can, simple as that.

Giving out free advice is the price of business, get over it. Ive been in the trades for 24 years and owned my own business for 12. Been on many estimates talking with customers i never hear from again. I don't think about them and don't care because its a waste of energy, stop being a bunch of pussies.

Last edited by BrntWS6; 02-06-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Yeah. They aren't the same. Copies might look alike, but aren't alike. You can see that in lots of things from knock off Nike's to Chinese tires that look like Michelin's and Yokohama's.

You want to save a few bucks, that's ok. But please, do not get fooled into thinking the product is made of the same stuff. And fwiw, remember that they have now, 3 different springs, with a older 4th version. And I am sure they will tell you how great they all are. But they certainly aren't all alike. And you've heard from a guy in this thread who has run mine and theirs back to back.

As for the giving out the advice, no it isn't the price of business. Ebay and Amazon sellers can't and don't.

At this point I think I need to figure out a way if people feel that advice isn't worth a damn early on, and if they think that, then just not give it if they don't think it has value.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-13-2018, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I said they were similar and someone like me who drives their car for pleasure isnt going to notice. Its not like BMR is not a proven spring.

I help people to solve problems over the phone all the time. It costs me a service call then but people appreciate and remember that. Then they tell everyone they know about me and I get a lot more work later on because of it. And its the reason i have not spent $1 on advertising in 4 years. Goid luck charging for a "consultation " fee, i know personally i hang up the phone right then.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:39 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hmm... some interesting statements being tossed around in here. So let me address a couple of key points that I have seen brought up

First off, our springs are made 100% in the US by the oldest and largest spring manufacturer in the country. Betts springs. You can google who they are and what they do. There is no smoke and mirrors about this. We are able to price our springs better because we buy in large volumes from them. We literally order thousands of springs at a time, and they make all of our 112 different spring part numbers for us for for the 20+ product lines we make parts for.
We buy quantity, not sacrifice quality

This also allows us to stand behind all of our springs with a lifetime warranty. We guarantee our spring against sag, fatigue or breakage. I think in the nearly 5 years I have been here doing this, I have had to maybe warranty 1 spring. Not even 1 set, but 1 spring, and that was due to it rusting from salted northern roads.

We design and spec all of our springs in house and test them here as well. Including ones that no one else has made springs for, or with stark differences in design and rate than anyone else offers. So that should ease some of the internet rumors of how we design our springs.

That being said, we always keep our springs in stock and offer them at the best price. Our springs have been proven over the years by thousands of satisfied customers. I have run them on my personal daily driver paired with Koni shocks and couldn't be happier with the ride and stance.

If anyone has any questions or needs assistance with parts selection for your application, install , setup or trouble shooting, we are always here to help.
Attached Thumbnails Best lowering springs ?-18901364_1380143538743239_1947093864_o.jpg   Best lowering springs ?-img_4157.jpg   Best lowering springs ?-springs5.jpg  

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 02-13-2018, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
I said they were similar and someone like me who drives their car for pleasure isnt going to notice. Its not like BMR is not a proven spring.

I help people to solve problems over the phone all the time. It costs me a service call then but people appreciate and remember that. Then they tell everyone they know about me and I get a lot more work later on because of it. And its the reason i have not spent $1 on advertising in 4 years. Goid luck charging for a "consultation " fee, i know personally i hang up the phone right then.
^ This. Every service or sales business in the universe requires some degree of customer service, that may or may not lead to a sale. Does it suck when someone calls you up and talks for half an hour and doesn't buy anything? Sure. But there are other people that know what they want and just place orders without any questions.

All of the companies that support this platform have public phone numbers where people can call for questions. Basically Sam's whole premise is that his time is more valuable because he's so much smarter than the rest, and that whoever answers the tech calls at BMR or UMI or wherever don't have the same level of knowledge that he does. That may be true and it may not be true, but it's pretty presumptuous. And if it is true, that's what sets you apart, when a customer calls another vendor who can't give proper answers, and then call you and get those answers.

I really don't know who answers phones at the 'other' places because I've never called any for help before. But each vendor does their own R&D and has test/track cars with their parts, so it isn't like nobody there is knowledgeable.

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Yeah. They aren't the same. Copies might look alike, but aren't alike. You can see that in lots of things from knock off Nike's to Chinese tires that look like Michelin's and Yokohama's.

You want to save a few bucks, that's ok. But please, do not get fooled into thinking the product is made of the same stuff.
I've read lots of other threads where you accuse BMR of stealing your spring rates because theirs are so similar to yours - so are they stealing your design, or are they just bad copies? What's specifically different/worse on their spring than yours? Is there some material or size difference that makes their 550 lb spring a "Chinese tire" vs your 550 lb spring that is a "Michelin"? Or is this just another baseless generalization?
Old 02-13-2018, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by handyandy
^ This. Every service or sales business in the universe requires some degree of customer service, that may or may not lead to a sale. Does it suck when someone calls you up and talks for half an hour and doesn't buy anything? Sure. But there are other people that know what they want and just place orders without any questions.

All of the companies that support this platform have public phone numbers where people can call for questions. Basically Sam's whole premise is that his time is more valuable because he's so much smarter than the rest, and that whoever answers the tech calls at BMR or UMI or wherever don't have the same level of knowledge that he does. That may be true and it may not be true, but it's pretty presumptuous. And if it is true, that's what sets you apart, when a customer calls another vendor who can't give proper answers, and then call you and get those answers.
Sounds like you are assuming what Sam thinks rather than just reading what he actually writes. He said he is simply tired of people calling him [because he is known for his first hand experience racing and winning national champions with his setups, something no other vendor can attest to] getting his advise and then buying parts on ebay and amazon. How is this any different than calling up a known, respected custom engine builder(like Tony Mamo for example), Tony then stops what he is doing and gives his recommendation on a custom cam, and whole engine setup, then the caller hangs up and goes to summit racing to buy parts and comp to spec his cam. Would you keep giving away free engine build advice if this kept happening? The whole point in calling him is because he is known as the expert in his field, and if he gives all his info away for free bigger companies are just going to steal it, duplicate it and then he won't have a business anymore.

I really don't know who answers phones at the 'other' places because I've never called any for help before. But each vendor does their own R&D and has test/track cars with their parts, so it isn't like nobody there is knowledgeable.
This is pretty arguable. There have been quite a few questionable posts through out the years here from some vendors.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG

This is pretty arguable. There have been quite a few questionable posts through out the years here from some vendors.
I'd gladly address them. As in previous questionings, we have the dated prototype, test revision and production design sheets on all of our springs. We in house design and spec them, send these specs out to have prototypes made by our manufacturer, test them on said car, then either revise or approve the design based on desired ride height, ride and performance. If we were just copying everyone's springs it would certainly make our lives a lot easier. We could cut out a lot of r&d time and paperwork. But we like doing it this way instead

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 02-14-2018, 03:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I am so tired of this.

It is a fact that a certain company changed the spring design to a linear front/progressive rear a year or two after mine came out. It is a fact this happened after the Betts Springs rep came into my shop and told me they made your springs and would be happy to copy anything I gave them. So color me shocked you have drawings for those, that's what happens anytime someone makes anything original, or not. And the simple fact of the matter is the spring you have that is most like mine... that came well after mine and well after Mr. Suit from Betts walked into my shop. From there you can change the dates on any drawing you have, so that's not worth much. This is when I was having these made by Vogtland, before my change to Hyperco sourcing. It is a fact that a certain someone down there got on here and claimed the wire I was using wasn't in fact what I using (and btw, was wrong... though the wire has changed with my change to Hyperco anyway). And this is the same person that, along with others, was on here a few months ago telling more lies.

This my friends is the long and short of it: Run whatever spring you want. Everyone who makes springs will, I am sure, tell your their's are the best that is just how it is.

I would simple recommend you ask yourself a number of questions to sort through the claims. Has any company made other springs, or other version of springs for the car and claimed *those* were the best? If so, and there are examples of this, if the first version was the best, how is the later version better? And if it was the best, why change it? Ask yourself if you know the details of the spring, like who is building them, out of what materials. What is the variance of the springs vs nominal rate, etc.

I switched to Hyperco to build mine for three reasons. 1. Hyperco are made in the USA. 2. That shortened lead times for me. 3. Their winding and wire makes for super consistent springs which is why you see them on most cars in major race series. +/-2% of nominal. Eibach's RACE springs are only guaranteed to be withing 5%, and I am sure that is a tighter tolerance than cheaper springs. And yes, I has rated other springs to see where they land, and the last ones I did that were red came in @ 91.87% of the claimed rate. That is way more than 2% variance.

And ask how I know things like the maker of certain springs, because that's not something that some companies will admit to.

And to finalize on this one point. My springs have proven themselves time and again, and won stuff aside from being on the street. Anyone can make a video of a car on a track without competition or times to compare to from others and say, see these are better.

I use my SCCA, NASA, and Muscle Car event results to prove the product.

That's my piece.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Last edited by Sam Strano; 02-14-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

So, OP. What springs you going to go with?
Old 02-14-2018, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisingermany
So, OP. What springs you going to go with?
Watch him say Eibach
Old 02-14-2018, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
I'd gladly address them. As in previous questionings, we have the dated prototype, test revision and production design sheets on all of our springs. We in house design and spec them, send these specs out to have prototypes made by our manufacturer, test them on said car, then either revise or approve the design based on desired ride height, ride and performance. If we were just copying everyone's springs it would certainly make our lives a lot easier. We could cut out a lot of r&d time and paperwork. But we like doing it this way instead
Funny I wasn't specifically talking about you guys, although being one of the worst offenders. Sounds like you have a guilty conscious, I didn't say anything about springs in my post. But we know where you got your "prototype" springs from anyway...

But you sure you wanna go there? I was specifically talking about giving bad/wrong advice.
You can start by replying to this recent thread that you ignored after specifically being called out in:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ol-thrust.html

Lets not forget about what happened about 8 threads down from here, one of the most unprofessional things Ive seen a vendor openly do on here, but I wasn't the least bit surprised considering the UMI name based web domains you guys still own.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
Watch him say Eibach
Irony in its purest form lol. That answer would have been a masterpiece.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Sounds like you are assuming what Sam thinks rather than just reading what he actually writes. He said he is simply tired of people calling him [because he is known for his first hand experience racing and winning national champions with his setups, something no other vendor can attest to] getting his advise and then buying parts on ebay and amazon. How is this any different than calling up a known, respected custom engine builder(like Tony Mamo for example), Tony then stops what he is doing and gives his recommendation on a custom cam, and whole engine setup, then the caller hangs up and goes to summit racing to buy parts and comp to spec his cam. Would you keep giving away free engine build advice if this kept happening? The whole point in calling him is because he is known as the expert in his field, and if he gives all his info away for free bigger companies are just going to steal it, duplicate it and then he won't have a business anymore.
I've read plenty of what he writes, and I understand his frustration to an extent. If you're a consumer and you have done some research and know full well that you're buying a product elsewhere based on price, then I agree you're out of line to call up Sam for his advice on the product when you have no intentions from the start of buying from him. At the same time though, if potential customers call up with good intentions then it's his job to answer questions if he wants that customer. That's just how it works. No business has a 100% sales rate when they answer the phone. And if you posted a question online about how to go about getting some contracting work done on your house, I'm sure the first advice would be to get multiple quotes to compare based on price, quality of materials, what your confidence level is in that contractor, and then decide from there. Why would buying expensive performance car parts be any different?

The other part of it is that this whole narrative / discussion was steered this way by Sam, but began with him making a post in this thread trying to sell his products, and being upset someone posted a Summit link. How did we end up talking about people wasting his time on the phone and not buying stuff? It's basically because this is the way he steered the conversion to gain sympathy and show his plight. The OPer's question was what springs to buy, and if Sam wants to try and make a sale he's more than welcome to post a response giving the pros of his springs, but I don't get how him trying to solicit an internet sale (without being asked) turns into a debate about people calling him on the phone and wasting his time and playing the victim.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
Watch him say Eibach

Quick Reply: Best lowering springs ?