Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

***Question for those running Strano's ***

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ***Question for those running Strano's ***

Does the back right of the car bottom out/hit something when hitting a sudden dip/bump? Mine has done it for years now and I can't figure out if the rear end is hitting my exhaust (GMMG, in case it matters) or if the rear end is hitting the bump stop (or lack there of). At first, I thought it was the exhaust hitting the bottom of the car, but the exhaust isn't moving. It's pretty solid.

If it's a sudden dip or a bump, the back right is going to hit.

Does this happen and are there any ideas on what could be making contact?

I have a new set of Strano bump stops to install, but haven't gotten around to it.

BTW: Running Koni's and have adjusted them from both ends of the spectrum.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

You seem to intimate that you don't have bumpstops. you should, and seems you have some to install, so that would the recommendation given I didn't (and nobody else does) design the springs to be used without them, or with destroyed ones.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-15-2018, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll try to install the bump stops this weekend and see if that helps/fixes it.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If something is hitting/banging, you may be able to see rub marks where this is occurring. That'll help you find the problem.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I've got the bump stops and I've not had that kind of experience specifically. When I put a new exhaust on, it was moved inward too far and I actually had it touch the driveshaft, twice. Now THAT was a shockingly horrible noise. Over bumps though could your exhaust be making a touch to the body? Like Sam said, bump stops are good.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

The most common "noise" from lowering IF there are working/good stops in place is due to way exhausts route over the PHB Brace. That over axle pipe is in a rubber bushing, and if you grab the right tailpipe and shake up and down (when the car is cold please). You will see that the exhaust can move up and down quite a bit, especially on older cars.

When the car is softer, quicker hits are more sucked up by the long and tall springs. But as you lower it and the rates go up (and remember my rates aren't super high), *or* the stops aren't there and some things move until they suddenly don't... well the exhaust can bang into the PHB brace.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-16-2018, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put the Strano bump stops on last night and it seems to have helped. But I only took it on a short drive paying close attention. Still, they needed to be replaced and I'm glad I finally got around to it.

Thanks everyone.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've read where some of the guys that have the PHB relocation brace have issues with the offset hitting the PHB
Old 03-05-2018, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't bottom out anything. I have a ka-clunk on the rear left side from something when going over some bigger bumps, but that was there before the Strano springs. Still have yet to figure it out, but it isn't directly suspension-related as all that stuff is new.

I think these cars just like making noise back there sometimes.

Oh I just remembered - make sure that you're not hearing your spare tire rattling around. Mine started making terrible noise about a year ago and I found the spare was loose. Tightened it down and no more bad noise from the passenger rear.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump stop replacement, can be found as low as $6/shipped ea.
OMIX-ADA Axle Snubbers 18271.07

https://www.google.com/search?q=1827...w=1514&bih=734

Rubber, not Urethane. Just bolt up, once lip is trimmed off body.
Attachment 717460

Comparison to the Energy Suspension Urethane options
Attachment 717461

Attachment 717462
Old 03-13-2018, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Good looks, thanks for posting that!
Old 03-31-2018, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

With what driving I do I've never even needed bumpstops I don't guess. What do you have to do for them to perform??
Old 04-02-2018, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2JAWZ
With what driving I do I've never even needed bumpstops I don't guess. What do you have to do for them to perform??

they are there to limit the suspension travel to a safe amount so that nothing breaks. Go over a bump or dip in the road thats sufficient to make the suspension do a full cycle and you will hit them. If they aint there, your axle will hit the chassis and potentially break something.