Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which direction to install cross drilled and/or slotted rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which direction to install cross drilled and/or slotted rotors?

So I installed my iRotors in the way they were labeled, with the angle of the slots/holes oriented as shown in all the pictures on here: with the part closest to the center of the rotor hitting the pads first. Like as shown in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/165768-irotors-cross-drilled-slotted-rotors-group-purchase-part-ii.html

But yesterday I noticed a Ligenfelter C5 that had the rotors installed "backwards" like this: or

So, which way is correct? Or most effective for deglazing (since that is all that slotts and holes are good for)?

And FYI, so far I am happy with the rotors, but not too happy with my NAPA Ceramix pads. They take more pedal effot to stop the car, and dust like mad for a "dust free" pad. Granted, the dust is lighter in color, and does come off of the wheels MUCH easier (just a quick wipe) than the stock pads. I'm hoping that they get better with age (only have about 100 miles on the, just barely worn off all the zinc off the rotors), but we will see.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The theory that was popular for a while was to have the inside edge of the slot hit first and sweep outward. This helps remove the spent pad material, from the rotor. It was thought/observed in some cases where the slot swept outside in that the pad material would build up near the hub and cause a pulsating pedal. However, many rotors are made opposite this approach (I think Eradispeeds are switched, but I'm not sure). So, in that case, follow the manufacturers directions.

If the rotor has curved vanes in the center, make sure they are set correctly. This is not usually an issue since most slotted rotors for our cars are just straight vaned rotors and can run either way.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Which direction to install cross drilled and/or slotted rotors?