Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sam Strano Springs/ Strano Parts and Bilstein HD Review

Old 03-14-2018, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sam Strano Springs/ Strano Parts and Bilstein HD Review

Hi Guys,

After a few months of waiting for various parts to arrive here in the U.K I've finally had my "winter maintenance" carried out on my 2001 WS6 Trans Am.

The main bulk of work was having Strano Springs and Bilstein HD shock absorbers fitted.

I picked my car up yesterday.

I emailed Sam back in September 2017 asking for advice and options for slightly lowering my car and getting some of the poor handling resolved. We discussed at length over a few weeks what i wanted from my car and of course budget requirements etc. Obviously, a set of Strano lowering springs was first on the table - after reading here, i knew i wanted those! I was still on stock decarbons upfront and cheap Gabriel shocks at the rear. Sam made it very clear from the start that for the best handling car, i would need to be looking at Koni sport shocks. However these were out of my budget. He advised me that my budget options were Koni STR.T or Bilstein HD. True to the reputation i read about, he said that although STR.T were considered better than Bilstein HD, he would recommend the Bilsteins - as in Europe, warranty concerns would be much easier (and indeed cost effective if required) to deal with than Koni. So in my opinion, Sam put me and my wallet first rather than simply recommending i go for a part purely based on its performance. He explained the negatives and positives of the HD shocks coupled with his springs, and ultimately i ordered a set of springs from Sam after our discussions. Some HD shocks came up for sale here in the U.K which avoids the high import duties so i explained to Sam that i would be buying here and he was still professional with me after this.

Roll forwards to this week: I drove the WS6 for the first time after the upgrade yesterday! The difference was night and day immediately. The car feels like its planted or even glued to the road. All the bouncing around at the rear end when one wheel went over some rough surfaces is gone. I can hear that the car is going over bumps and pot holes, but its almost like i can't feel them inside the car anymore. I describe the ride as firm, stable and yet comfortable at the same time. Throw it into a corner and it no longer feels like I'm going to lose control. I can get into, and out of a corner much quicker. Even the steering feels more refined - you point and shoot and the car goes exactly where you want to put it.

Stance: My car was stupidly high especially in the rear before the springs went on. I did take measurements and i will post a before and after measurement from each corner soon. Now, straight away i could see that the car was lowered . The rear has come down at least 1.5-2 inches over the stock springs and Gabriel shock combo. The front is also noticeably lower, although it never sat too high to begin with. Until i get my measurements i would estimate that the front is now about 1 inch lower than before. The car now sits level from front to back. The arch gaps are equal. Its no longer raked. I am very happy, as i did not want a slammed look.

For anybody wonder if they should go with Strano springs, you will not be disappointed with the performance and stance, unless you are after a slammed car which these are not designed to be. If you're on a budget, i can highly recommend the HD shocks compared to the OEM/Stock shocks. It really is a massive difference.

Sam/Strano parts is highly recommended by me. To do business was totally stress free, he is very helpful, polite and yet gets straight to the point with the details and facts.

10 out of 10.

Thanks!

(pics to follow when its not a bloody rainy day here!)
Old 03-15-2018, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here are some before photos!
Attached Thumbnails Sam Strano Springs/ Strano Parts and Bilstein HD Review-img_0447.jpg   Sam Strano Springs/ Strano Parts and Bilstein HD Review-img_0448.jpg   Sam Strano Springs/ Strano Parts and Bilstein HD Review-img_0449.png   Sam Strano Springs/ Strano Parts and Bilstein HD Review-img_7877.jpg   Sam Strano Springs/ Strano Parts and Bilstein HD Review-img_8342.jpg  

Sam Strano Springs/ Strano Parts and Bilstein HD Review-img_8343.jpg   Sam Strano Springs/ Strano Parts and Bilstein HD Review-img_8175.jpg  
Old 03-15-2018, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

...And here are some after photos!
Attached Thumbnails Sam Strano Springs/ Strano Parts and Bilstein HD Review-img_0470.jpg   Sam Strano Springs/ Strano Parts and Bilstein HD Review-img_0469.jpg   Sam Strano Springs/ Strano Parts and Bilstein HD Review-img_0468.jpg   Sam Strano Springs/ Strano Parts and Bilstein HD Review-img_0467.jpg   Sam Strano Springs/ Strano Parts and Bilstein HD Review-img_0466.jpg  

Old 03-15-2018, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Measurements were taken from the ground to the wheel arch lip (fender lip i believe you USA folk call it?) in line with the centre point of the wheel.

Before:

Rear drivers side - 28.50 inches
Rear passenger side - 28.75 inches
Front drivers side - 27.50 inches
Front passenger side - 27.25 inches

After:

Rear drivers side - 27.00 inches
Rear passenger side - 27.25 inches
Front drivers side - 26.00 inches
Front passenger side - 26.00 inches
Old 03-15-2018, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Good deal. Looks much better
Old 03-15-2018, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Good deal. Do you know what the ride height is now?
Just posted measurements above
Old 03-15-2018, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yep I saw you changed that right after i posted lol
Old 03-15-2018, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Dude, you need some direct sideshots? Do you ever take a pic not laying underneath one of the bumpers?
Old 03-15-2018, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Dude, you need some direct sideshots? Do you ever take a pic not laying underneath one of the bumpers?

I like taking shots this way?

will get some direct side shots when its a nice bright sunny day and not on my driveway.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

You should send sam a gift card to outback after taking his advice and not buying shocks from him.

Or do yourself a favor and buy his sway bars. That's a better change than the springs imo.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
You should send sam a gift card to outback after taking his advice and not buying shocks from him.

Or do yourself a favor and buy his sway bars. That's a better change than the springs imo.
If I didn’t live out of the USA I would have obviously not hesitated buying everything from Strano Parts but import tax and VAT makes it very hard on the bank account. The shocks would have set me back another £300 in duties alone which would have meant not getting the springs done...I tried to be honest in the review and I certainly didn’t take advise from Sam only to glean information and then run away to somebody else..... when it comes to suspension, I know where I’ll be getting upgrade parts from...and Sam will get my custom again.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does your car get a lot of attention where you live?
Old 03-15-2018, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Toronto LT1
Does your car get a lot of attention where you live?
Yes it does!

I sometimes think I’m going to have an accident because people stop focussing on driving and look at the Trans Am...

Pedestrians quite often stop and stare or turn around to see it..it’s also a very loud car so that draws attention.

Kids tend to love it, young teen drivers think they can beat it from the lights in their 1.2L vauxhall Corsas.

It’s alot of fun.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I’m surprised a this post. Normally these types of posts get a lot of attention but it seems not with mine lol.

Must be me.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

You did a good post. I was just harassing ya a little.

Most here seem to favor konis. But i think the bilstein is every bit as good maybe even a better all round shock. Koni's probably win out on track tho with being able to adjust them.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. If you want to go just a little bit lower in the rear still, you can do the heater hose mod and remove the rubber isolators on the rear springs.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It never seizes to amaze me how much lowering springs improve the appearance of these cars.
Looks great OP!!
Old 03-16-2018, 08:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackHawk96WS6
Looks good. If you want to go just a little bit lower in the rear still, you can do the heater hose mod and remove the rubber isolators on the rear springs.
Well he could.......but lets take it a step farther.

How is the car handling at its limits?

If it's loose or rotating to much in mid corner remove the isolater......or raise the front. Check with half tank of gas.

Also another handling tip would be to get your sway bars back to level with shorter bolts after lowering. Then to take it a step farther "zero" your bars.

Little things like that can really make a YUGE difference.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I plan to have Strano bars fitted at my next winter maintenance session back end of this year into early next year.

As for the type of driving I do the car now feels like i think it should - handling as I wanted it to. Especially compared to how into was before with the stock Parts!

I’m letting everything settle a little while before considering anything else - all the suspension parts where new including the rear isolators, front bushes and front mounts. I’m guessing once they’ve been worn in a little that the whole car will drop a few more millimetres.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TheNutDriver
Yes it does!

I sometimes think I’m going to have an accident because people stop focussing on driving and look at the Trans Am...

Pedestrians quite often stop and stare or turn around to see it..it’s also a very loud car so that draws attention.

Kids tend to love it, young teen drivers think they can beat it from the lights in their 1.2L vauxhall Corsas.

It’s alot of fun.
I hear ya. I'm always teaching those 1.2L Vauxhall Corsa drivers a lesson.

Search this Thread