Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What's a good front sb to go with the 24mm rear sb?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's a good front sb to go with the 24mm rear sb?

What is a good front swaybar to match the solid 24mm rear sway bar from a third gen? I have a 01 z28 and already have the rear 24mm bar. Which other bar will compliment it best? I'm not looking to auto-x but would like to it handle even better than it already does. Right now you can deffinitly feel a difference between the front and back since I still have the stock front. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:48 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

35 mm solid. I say this because the Suspension Techniques set comes with a 35/24 solid combination. I would install the SFC's first though, else those big-azz bar's are going to twist the hell out of your car.

Edit: I think that ST rear bar is actually a 25 mm.

Last edited by Cal; 07-07-2004 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

35mm hu? Wow, seems kinda big. I planned on getting sfc's soon. I would think that with the softer smaller bars it would twist the chassis more than with the stiffer ones. Regaurdless of what will happen, I was planning on sfc's anyway.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:23 AM
TECH Resident

35 is quite common in auto-x circles. Hotchkis even makes a 36mm bar. Has the 24mm bar made your rear a little twitchy in hard cornering? Ironically, I think you'll find several here surprised that you're running 24mm in the rear.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

I just figured that bigger was better, and from the general consensus I guess I figured wrong. I only paid like 90 for the bar and polly bushings for it so if I have to change it it's no big deal. I just want great handling, I'm not autoxing it, but my friend had a mid 90's vette and that thing handled like it was on rails. Going around a turn produced almost 0 body roll and I liked that over the way my car handled stock.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:33 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For handling on an fbody, it's more important to have a big front bar than rear bar. If you have a big bar like that on the rear end, the car can become "tail happy" meaning the rear end likes to break loose way before the front does. And with the solid rear axle, you will find that the inside wheel lifts in a tight turn if you have too much bar on the rear, causing a lack of traction coming out of corners.

With big bars on both ends, every time the front wheels are on a different slope than the rear wheels, the body is being twisted hard, since these bars try to keep the body level with the wheels. So you have a fight between the front and the rear suspensions, with a frame-less unit body inbetween. That's why you need the best subframe connectors you can find installed before you put a big set of sway bars on there.

Quick Reply: What's a good front sb to go with the 24mm rear sb?