Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowered/ High Hp/ Dual exhaust setups?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Lowered/ High Hp/ Dual exhaust setups?

Hello everyone,

I tried searching for this and didn't come up with exactly what I am looking for. Down the road I plan on building a 900rwhp engine and I want a high flowing exhaust that will flow decently, and have decent ground clearance since I want to lower my car a little bit (car is stock height currently)

What setups are you guys running and how much hp? I have longtubes right now with true dual 3 inch but it is somewhat loud on long drives, however it flows really well. I thought about possibly keeping the 3" true duals and going with an over the axle kit, and some quieter mufflers and running cut outs so that way I will have the both of best worlds. I only plan on lowering the car around 1.5" or so. In the end I want cutouts, and it to be somewhat quiet, sound amazing, and have decent ground clearance. What setup would you all recommend?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2018, 09:14 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm at least at 900rwhp, and I run a Stainless works 3.5" catback that is very livable driving around. Sure, when I get on it, it gets loud, but what do you expect.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Austinma62
Hello everyone,

I tried searching for this and didn't come up with exactly what I am looking for. Down the road I plan on building a 900rwhp engine and I want a high flowing exhaust that will flow decently, and have decent ground clearance since I want to lower my car a little bit (car is stock height currently)

What setups are you guys running and how much hp? I have longtubes right now with true dual 3 inch but it is somewhat loud on long drives, however it flows really well. I thought about possibly keeping the 3" true duals and going with an over the axle kit, and some quieter mufflers and running cut outs so that way I will have the both of best worlds. I only plan on lowering the car around 1.5" or so. In the end I want cutouts, and it to be somewhat quiet, sound amazing, and have decent ground clearance. What setup would you all recommend?

Thanks!
Hey, a local guy, whats up?

IMO your best bet is probably coilovers like ride tech or UMI/Strano custom Afco coilovers for example, that way you can adjust to whatever height you feel is best. You could buy lowering springs but run then risk of being too low for the exhaust setup you want. Im on Strano springs if you want to take a look at my car sometime for comparison, ground clearance is great for me.

Also strangely enough it looks like we have a really similar engine setup with really close dyno numbers as well. Who dyno tuned your car?
Old 05-17-2018, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Big single would be easier. Dropped about 2 inches right now with a 3.5" single and will go lower soon. Torque arm brace is the lowest point at 2.5" Y-pipe is next at 2.75". I'm just going to try to avoid driving to new places at night since the lights are so bad.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I'm at least at 900rwhp, and I run a Stainless works 3.5" catback that is very livable driving around. Sure, when I get on it, it gets loud, but what do you expect.
What is your entire exhaust setup, headers, and do you have cutouts? How is your ground clearance and are you happy with the sound?
Old 05-23-2018, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Hey, a local guy, whats up?

IMO your best bet is probably coilovers like ride tech or UMI/Strano custom Afco coilovers for example, that way you can adjust to whatever height you feel is best. You could buy lowering springs but run then risk of being too low for the exhaust setup you want. Im on Strano springs if you want to take a look at my car sometime for comparison, ground clearance is great for me.

Also strangely enough it looks like we have a really similar engine setup with really close dyno numbers as well. Who dyno tuned your car?
Sounds like a fully adjustable setup is the way to go for me. Id love to look at your car man but I am on the other side of the state! haha I am up north of Kansas City. If you ever came up this way Id like to check it out man.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:37 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

What is your entire exhaust setup, headers, and do you have cutouts? How is your ground clearance and are you happy with the sound?
I've got no name 1 7/8 headers, into 3" ory pipe, into the 3.5" stainless works exhaust.

I do like the sound, and the ground clearance is perfectly fine. I have strano springs and zero issues with it.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I've got no name 1 7/8 headers, into 3" ory pipe, into the 3.5" stainless works exhaust.

I do like the sound, and the ground clearance is perfectly fine. I have strano springs and zero issues with it.
Would this be difficult to run dual cutouts with it?
Old 05-31-2018, 08:26 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4" single custom mandrel exhaust out the back at that power level, however you plan to achieve it.

That is what I recommend.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-ford-9-a.html

Reference of my own setup. It has excellent ground clearance.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:13 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Why would you need to? I just don't see the need to have that much exhaust flow. Put a single cutout in by the axle if it's a concern, and I doubt you'd see much of a gain, but who knows.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

fwiw I only picked up 4 rwhp with my cutout open vs closed on my slip dual dual muffler. And that’s at 545 rwhp. I tried once on the spray with it closed and the muffler popped off so I didn’t try again. I’ll be going to a 4” soon just because I’m bored.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:11 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I keep kicking around putting in a boost activated cutout that opens at 4-5psi of boost. Would be pretty cool to be able to roll around quietly, but if I wanted to scare some people, I could just bring the revs up a little.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The main thing for dual cutouts would be for sound, or do you think there wouldn't be much of a difference is there is just one?
Old 06-07-2018, 02:05 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

With a cutout, it's just freakin loud, especially the more power you make.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So as far as having one cut out vs duals, you don't think there would be much a difference in sound of the exhaust? I just know in general duals sound better/louder.