LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Suspension & Brakes (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-16/)
-   -   Is it okay to lift on SFC (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/1902499-okay-lift-sfc.html)

HappySalesman 07-13-2018 09:21 PM

Is it okay to lift on SFC

So I have a lowered camaro that is near impossible to get a jack underneath on the front without driving it up onto ramps or jacking each side individually.

I was looking into something like the Quick-Jack systems (or similar) to help get the car in the air quickly and not make doing something simple like an oil change a project.

I also have a set of 3-point UMI subframe connectors. I know that these jack/lift systems are designed to lift by the frame rail, however the 3 point SFCs loop over the rail. Considering it's spreading the load across the 3 bars, anyone know if this is still kosher?

HCI2000SS 07-13-2018 09:35 PM

I'm lowered and just drive up on a couple pieces of 2x4. Easy to jack up at that point. As far as your particular SFC's I can't say for sure, but I jack the car up all the time on my boxed J&M ones

HappySalesman 07-13-2018 10:06 PM

One of the other reasons I was looking into a lift like that is I don't have space for a full lift, and this would make doing all sorts of work incredibly easy.

I'll shoot UMI and email and see what they say. Thanks though

sjsingle1 07-13-2018 11:08 PM

my fav jacking point is the front of the SFCs where the bolts are....with a 2x4 so no marring of the paint :)

98_1LE 07-14-2018 11:50 AM

I have been using the SFCs to jack my Trans Am up since they were installed. No problems and it has been jacked there many times.

eb110americana 07-15-2018 12:39 AM

I believe the square or rectangle cross section ones are ideal for this purpose, as long as you don't concentrate too much of the load on a single point (say one of the 4 fingers of the jack lifting cup hitting in the center of the rail). However the round/tube cross section connectors are NOT okay for lifting.

HappySalesman 07-15-2018 04:18 AM

Well I realized what I can do is place blocks on the lift bars that slot in between the round tubes of the SFCs and will actually lift up via the frame rail. Best part is I can cut them for a more precise fit so there's as much load spread across the rails as possible without hitting the SFCs.

Kinda fun when you answer your own question lol

Thanks all for the input

UMI Sales 07-19-2018 07:57 AM

I think I may have answered an email about lifting on our SFC's but for the benefit of the group, you can. No problem actually. The tubing is quite large and very strong.

Of course we tend to use a rag or something to keep from marring the powder coat.

ramey

one sweet ws6 07-19-2018 08:49 PM

Thats good to no cause i use my subframes all the time to jack the car up