Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How Low do SLP SFC hang?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Low do SLP SFC hang?

I am curious to how low SLP subframe connectors hang on the car once installed? Would you be able to see them from say 15 feet away on a '99 Z28?

I also am planning to lower my car 1.5". Would there be any ground clearance problems?

How do they clear with long tube headers?

Are the bolt ons the same as the weld ons? I have heard they are the same just the bolt ons are powdercoated. I want to intitally bolt them on and then take it to the shop and show where i want it welded. This seems better than just giving my car and a set of weld on subframes to someone and saying here put these on.

Main thing is i don't want them hanging down much bellow the car.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 06-15-2004, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Shawn W
I am curious to how low SLP subframe connectors hang on the car once installed? Would you be able to see them from say 15 feet away on a '99 Z28?

I also am planning to lower my car 1.5". Would there be any ground clearance problems?

How do they clear with long tube headers?

Are the bolt ons the same as the weld ons? I have heard they are the same just the bolt ons are powdercoated. I want to intitally bolt them on and then take it to the shop and show where i want it welded. This seems better than just giving my car and a set of weld on subframes to someone and saying here put these on.

Main thing is i don't want them hanging down much bellow the car.

Thanks,
Shawn

I was in the market for some subframes and I was looking at SLP subframes and I actually called them asking about it and the person I talked to said that their have been some clearence issues with SLP subframes on lowered cars. So I went with BMR tubular subframes they dont hang at all

www.afterthoughtsauto.com this place has slp and bmr parts
Old 06-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have SLP subframes, I'm lowered about an inch all around (adjustable Ground Control Coil Overs), and have Kooks Long Tubes. Yes, the subframes will hang low, and yes, I guarantee you you will be able to see them from more than 15 feet away. They are black, so they don't stick out like a sore thumb, but if you know what you are looking for, they are plain as day. They don't hang as low as my headers, but the headers don't have it beat by much. Do I scrape them on everything? Nope. Are they strong as hell? Why yes, yes they are. My Kooks LTs and catted-y clear them too without a problem.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Oh, and one more thing...with my car lowered an inch, I have 3.75" of ground clearance measured from the ground to the lowest part on the subframes.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

I have the weld in SLP subframes and I have hypercoil springs with SLP bilstein shocks. You can see the subframes but they aren't that bad. My car sits about 1.75" lower than stock. I don't have headers on the car either and I don't have any problems. Good luck!
Old 06-15-2004, 02:18 PM
Teching In

well what about the Kenny Brown subframes? I know that they are not quiet as stiff as the SLP. I have heard they don't hang as low though.

Thanks
Shawn.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:21 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

The Kenney Browns definitely do not hang as low, but are definitely not as substantial as the SLPs. I don't know if it was posted on here or over on LS2, but someone posted a pic of them bending one of the Kenney Brown DDs...compared to the SLPs, they look flimsy as hell, but they are probably all you would really need.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have many problems with my SLP's, just in automatic car washes. My car is lowered 2" in the front, 2.5" in the rear.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:11 PM
Teching In

does anyone have apic of them on their car showing how low they hang?

I sitll think the three point is better than the 2 point, such as BMR's but if the kenny brown are flimsier than the BMR's maybe i will go with them.

Anyone have any other suggestions.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 06-15-2004, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
The Kenney Browns definitely do not hang as low, but are definitely not as substantial as the SLPs. I don't know if it was posted on here or over on LS2, but someone posted a pic of them bending one of the Kenney Brown DDs...compared to the SLPs, they look flimsy as hell, but they are probably all you would really need.
I would like to see this pic, can you find it again? Were they bent under a test or actually on the car?
Old 06-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The stock Y pipe hangs lower than the SLP SFC's, at lest on a 2001.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal
The stock Y pipe hangs lower than the SLP SFC's, at lest on a 2001.
I was wondering the same thing. I have a 2001, so this applies to me. Thanks for the info
Old 06-15-2004, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im lowered with no clearance issues. My headers are the clearance issue!!!!!!!!!!!!

I however, would have done BRM tubular if i had the choice again. THey will brace the subframe "almost" as good as the SLP's but you will have more weight savings with the BMR's

Also bolting on and then welding is "A BAD IDEA" as the powdercoating really should be wire brushed (removed) from the entire weld joint before welding to prevent contaminating the joint. If they are already bolted on then you wont be able to do that without taking them off again, unless you did this step pre-install.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

SLP bolt-on SFC's will work just fine ( and yes they can be seen but they blend in perfectly with the undercarriage ), from what I understand Don Goetz makes some great bolt-on SFC's also.

Al
Old 06-16-2004, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

Hi there,
Here is the link of my SLP-Bolt on-Connectors installed. I would recommend them to everyone. Hope this helps
Old 06-16-2004, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

http://www.8ung.at/ls1/mods/subframe.html
Old 06-16-2004, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have them on my car, and I think the only thing you really hear about them is that they are lower than most and your getting the idea that being lower than most causes clearence issues. Its not one mark from me scraping mine at all, and if it came down to it, would you rather scrape the bottom of the car or the subframes. Yea they might be heavy, but I think theyre worth it. The only downside to them is the weight.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28camaroLS1
Hi there,
Here is the link of my SLP-Bolt on-Connectors installed. I would recommend them to everyone. Hope this helps

Here's something that might be of some help also. http://users3.ev1.net/~cnl1/firehawk/subframe/index.htm
Old 07-18-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get Global West SFC's, they are the best about clearance. I got LGM ones and keep on scraping oh them :/
Old 07-19-2004, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Here's a shot from the side, showing how low the SLP subframes hang down. It's kind of hard to make out but you can see the y-pipe on the left is hanging lower than the subframe connector (the SFC is the only clean black piece that's shining).

Quick Reply: How Low do SLP SFC hang?