Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Mild front end clunking noise when starting from a standstill

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mild front end clunking noise when starting from a standstill

Hi Guys,

A new fault is developing on my 2001 WS6. Noticed it yesterday evening and was able to replicate it today.

If i come to a stop, go into reverse and move back a little, when i go back into drive, as i let off the brakes and start moving forwards (without any gas pedal at all) i hear a clunking noise coming from somewhere up front. My ears tell me front right hand side area, but my car is very loud so hard to pinpoint exactly. My feelings are its brake related but I'm not sure, other than it seems to do it the moment the brakes begin to stop holding the car from moving. Only happens at parking speeds. I never feel it whilst driving normally. Seems like the car has to have been in reverse and moved backwards to then go forwards for it to do the clunk.

Trans mount and Torque arm mount are relatively new - 5000 miles at most on them. Noise isn't coming from that area anyway, and I'm not giving it any gas to make the engine or transmission move at all...

Any ideas?
Old 07-17-2018, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front driveshaft u-joint? Loose front lower control arm bolt - the rearmost bolt, if loose, will slide and clunk (BTDT...). A worn out front lower control arm bushing - again, the rear bushing, will also clunk (BTDT on a not F-body car).

Nick
Old 07-17-2018, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't think its either of those items - its coming from much further upfront than that. Rear control arms are relatively new, and when searching for a rear end clunk last year I torqued everything up properly at the rear. Driveshaft U joints done less than 5000 miles too. Whatever it is that's causing it is ahead of me sitting in the drivers. I've done some searching here and found a few old threads about brake calliper bolts backing out and causing what I describe as my clunk, so I am going to have a look at those tomorrow on my day off.

Just for info - front upper and lower control arm bushings were changed last year, rear lower control arms and bushings replaced last year (UMI tubular), Torque arm bushing replaced, transmission mount replaced, shocks and springs done this year (Stranos & Bilsteins) all round, U joints replaced a year ago and tail shaft bushing replaced this year. The only things I haven't changed yet are the sway bars and sway bar end links and bushings in terms of suspension bushings
Old 07-17-2018, 05:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am referring to the control arm bolt in the FRONT control arms. In my case an alignment tech didn't tighten one of the lower control arm bolts enough allowing it to slide in the k-member and clunk when changing direction.

Bad sway bar end links will also clunk but usually going over bumps. I have no experience with caliper bolts backing out. I can also see the brake pads moving in the caliper and making noise.

Either way, good luck in tracking down the issue with you car. Nice ride!

Nick
Old 07-18-2018, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

I took the wheels off the front today. The passenger side calliper bolts had indeed backed out a good few turns...removed them and loctited them in there. Will monitor these more closely in future. I checked the lower control arm bolts whilst I was at it too - tight on both sides.

no more clunk so i guess it was the calliper moving slightly back and fore when the car changed direction from reverse to forwards...

thank goodness the search function of this page is great and also for the help and advice you gave me.

Quick Reply: Mild front end clunking noise when starting from a standstill