Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone else remove their SFCs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree with LS1-Iroc here, it's a valid point about tires. Even new tires of the same brand vs old tires. You've done several mods at once, you can't scientifically single out the one thing and say it was the 1 thing that made it better. The new bushings helped make it better, the new tires CERTAINLY made it feel better. Maybe the SFC's didn't improve your car a lot but also their removal didn't do much either. Maybe it's just your mind playing tricks thinking after doing many improvements, it must be better.
I think this is a lesson for all of us to learn that without the scientific method (test things before, test after, in a controlled way with relevant criteria) we can't make certain claims. For the OP, there's nothing wrong with thinking you like how your car rides now, but you can't really blame the SFC when there were other factors involved.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I cut out my welded sfcs...not hard at all with a good compressor. Difference in ride quality is night and day, i will never put those things back on.

i know they have their place, but my car is just a weekend cruiser with a street race here and there. They are overkill for me and looking back made the car drive like ****.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Paveglio
I agree with LS1-Iroc here, it's a valid point about tires. Even new tires of the same brand vs old tires. You've done several mods at once, you can't scientifically single out the one thing and say it was the 1 thing that made it better. The new bushings helped make it better, the new tires CERTAINLY made it feel better. Maybe the SFC's didn't improve your car a lot but also their removal didn't do much either. Maybe it's just your mind playing tricks thinking after doing many improvements, it must be better.
I think this is a lesson for all of us to learn that without the scientific method (test things before, test after, in a controlled way with relevant criteria) we can't make certain claims. For the OP, there's nothing wrong with thinking you like how your car rides now, but you can't really blame the SFC when there were other factors involved.
No same tires, I only have a couple thousand miles on them so I reused them. All I changed at once was the steering rack and removed the SFC's. I don't think a new steering rack would have changed the ride lol. I understand your statement though....I would consider this a controlled experiment. I'm still enjoying it without them so I think I'm going to put them up for sale to get them out the garage.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:42 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I sometimes wonder if sfc really do that much. I welded all the body seams on mine. 1 inch stick every three inches. Stiffened up the car, eliminated almost all the nuisance squeaks and rattles. Never installed the SFC after I felt how much welding the seams improved the car
Old 09-13-2018, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
I cut out my welded sfcs...not hard at all with a good compressor. Difference in ride quality is night and day, i will never put those things back on.

i know they have their place, but my car is just a weekend cruiser with a street race here and there. They are overkill for me and looking back made the car drive like ****.
Firmed the car up with them on?
Old 09-13-2018, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Firmed the car up with them on?
Yes, made the car very stiff so I was feeling every little bump in the road, the car just sucked to drive. Once i swapped over to konis and new BMR springs it was a relief.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

TA's boxed bolt in SLP SFC's are just to handy for jacking the car up for me to ever remove them. They didn't hurt ride quality or add NVH. Now when the hemi-joint/roto-joint RLCA's and Panhard rod got added they definitely hurt ride quality and added NVH.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:48 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
Yes, made the car very stiff so I was feeling every little bump in the road, the car just sucked to drive. Once i swapped over to konis and new BMR springs it was a relief.
This to me is the problem with them. I remember going over some granular pavement a couple of days after I put them on, and feeling every little pebble embedded in the asphalt. I was thinking, "Uh-oh - what did I do?"

They're great for jacking and help with launching, but if you're not changing tires and going to the track all the time, they make daily driving very wearisome - especially when it's cold.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
when i first got my car it rocked like a boat over bumps & rail road tracks. after welded BMR sfc's no more rocking. you cant possibly tell me twisting metal is good for the body in the long run. i did add all 3 parts at the same time so im not sure which one fixed my wheel hop. (sfc ; lca's ; panhard). article may 2004 super chevy "ls1 dos & donts" claims the first thing you should do is sfc's.
This exactly.

I got tired of feeling the chassis flexing and moving under my butt over uneven ground so I added some MWC SFC's. They definitely firm up the chassis and stiffen the ride some, but I don't equate them with making for a harsh ride. If you stiffen up the chassis on a dated platform that's loose compared to modern cars, and you think that means poor ride quality I would start addressing the suspension. Having a strong/solid chassis is considered a good thing and your suspension is what should be used to set the ride quality. Look at a new Camaro. The Alpha platform is know to be excellent and a very solid chassis, but you don't hear of people saying they ride too harsh unless maybe taking about a ZL1 1LE or something. I'm running BMR springs with Koni SA shocks(6 sweaps up front and 3/4 turns out back) and it's a pretty stiff ride but I don't consider it harsh. In fact I feel my 03 Lightning with factory springs and Bilstein HD's is a little firmer riding but they're close.

My point is this. IMO SFC's aren't a must have mod on a GEN3/4 Fbody like they are on a Foxbody/SN95 Mudstain, but they're still a good mod that improves and strengthens the platform overall.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:07 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JROC
This exactly.

I got tired of feeling the chassis flexing and moving under my butt over uneven ground so I added some MWC SFC's. They definitely firm up the chassis and stiffen the ride some, but I don't equate them with making for a harsh ride. If you stiffen up the chassis on a dated platform that's loose compared to modern cars, and you think that means poor ride quality I would start addressing the suspension. Having a strong/solid chassis is considered a good thing and your suspension is what should be used to set the ride quality. Look at a new Camaro. The Alpha platform is know to be excellent and a very solid chassis, but you don't hear of people saying they ride too harsh unless maybe taking about a ZL1 1LE or something. I'm running BMR springs with Koni SA shocks(6 sweaps up front and 3/4 turns out back) and it's a pretty stiff ride but I don't consider it harsh. In fact I feel my 03 Lightning with factory springs and Bilstein HD's is a little firmer riding but they're close.

My point is this. IMO SFC's aren't a must have mod on a GEN3/4 Fbody like they are on a Foxbody/SN95 Mudstain, but they're still a good mod that improves and strengthens the platform overall.
This is a good statement and I will follow it with an analogy.

Imagine being in the ocean with constant small waves.

If your in an inflateable life raft that follows the surface, you probably wont feel many of them as the bottom conforms to the surface.

Now get in a solid hull boat. You are going to feel more of those little waves through the floor, but overall it will be more stable

Now imagine the same scenario with bigger waves and how each will react. That lifeboat is going to flex and flop all over while the boat will ride the crests.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-19-2018, 07:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

As said by many above, leave the SFC on the vehicle, Sara (2001 Z28) loves hers, it keeps the bottom of her skirt unwrinkled
Old 09-19-2018, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also wouldn't a stiffer chassis allow the shocks & springs to better perform their job? if you want a soft ride maybe look at air ride? ( i've only seen it on tv gas monkey)
Old 09-28-2018, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 97 SS Camaro T-top car and I'm going to install the MWC true sub frame connectors and weld every seam under the car and under hood in an effort to make the chassis as stiff and strong as possible then tailor the springs and shocks to get the " ride quality I want.