Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front brakes dragging/ locking

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 250 Likes on 188 Posts

Default Front brakes dragging/ locking

First, this isn't for an F-Body, but a GMC Sierra.
This website has some of the best tech minds around, so I came here with my problem... Plus, it DOES have an LS engine...

I have an '07 Sierra Classic, 1500, 2WD, and the front brakes will not stop dragging/ locking.
No stability/ traction control.

Here are all of the parts that have been replaced:

-Front calipers
-Front hoses
-Master cylinder (Two different ones: A new O'Reilly's Brake Best, and a reman Delphi unit, both were correct for the application)
-Brake booster (vacuum booster, for the record)

It will smoke the brake pads after a few minutes of driving, and if you lift a wheel off the ground, you cannot turn it.

BUT: If you loosen the master cylinder from the booster, the front brakes loosen up, and you can turn the wheels again.
THE BRAKE BOOSTER PUSH-ROD IS NOT ADJUSTABLE on this truck, so I'm really at a loss.

Yes, I have disconnected the booster push-rod from the brake pedal when the brakes are locked, and it doesn't do anything.

There are no ABS codes, and the ABS is functional.

Has anyone run into this problem on the GMT800 trucks, or any other car, for that matter?
Old 05-07-2021, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same issue I had to grind down the pushrod between master cylinder and brake booster. On a silverado truck tried 2 different master cylinders too. Worked great ever since.
The following users liked this post:
dixiebandit69 (05-07-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2knight
I had the same issue I had to grind down the pushrod between master cylinder and brake booster. On a silverado truck tried 2 different master cylinders too. Worked great ever since.
Thank you for the input!
I had considered doing the opposite: drilling into the pilot hole in the master cylinder to increase the depth, because the pushrod in the brake booster is recessed and not easy to get to.

What I'd really like to know is how this problem occurred after over 100,000K miles of operation out of the blue.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by dixiebandit69
First, this isn't for an F-Body, but a GMC Sierra.
This website has some of the best tech minds around, so I came here with my problem... Plus, it DOES have an LS engine...

I have an '07 Sierra Classic, 1500, 2WD, and the front brakes will not stop dragging/ locking.
No stability/ traction control.

Here are all of the parts that have been replaced:

-Front calipers
-Front hoses
-Master cylinder (Two different ones: A new O'Reilly's Brake Best, and a reman Delphi unit, both were correct for the application)
-Brake booster (vacuum booster, for the record)

It will smoke the brake pads after a few minutes of driving, and if you lift a wheel off the ground, you cannot turn it.

BUT: If you loosen the master cylinder from the booster, the front brakes loosen up, and you can turn the wheels again.
THE BRAKE BOOSTER PUSH-ROD IS NOT ADJUSTABLE on this truck, so I'm really at a loss.

Yes, I have disconnected the booster push-rod from the brake pedal when the brakes are locked, and it doesn't do anything.

There are no ABS codes, and the ABS is functional.

Has anyone run into this problem on the GMT800 trucks, or any other car, for that matter?
Is this a conversion like a hydroboost swap or something?
Old 05-08-2021, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No. Factory vacuum booster.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Being that 2007 is a carry over year I wonder if they have it mislabeled. I have run into this before with other parts.
By chance did you look up a 2006 and see if the part number was the same?
Old 05-10-2021, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay guys, I ended up drilling out the pilot hole in the master cylinder, and the problem seems to have stopped.

I had both wheels off the ground, and kept drilling and reinstalling the master cylinder until I couldn't feel the wheels dragging anymore.

This isn't how I wanted to fix the problem; I really want to know why it happened in the first place.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Quick Reply: Front brakes dragging/ locking