Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Looking for recommendations on a new suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 06:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for recommendations on a new suspension

I have a 1999 Trans AM Coupe that I bought earlier. As well as most people it is a work in progress. I just got it running not too long ago but I saw some of the shocks were worn. I want a coil over suspension that would be great for a daily driver and for whenever I gotta get down and whoop someone or try at least. LOL! I saw TSP has a coil over set up but don't see any reviews. Just wanted to see if anyone has something in mind that would be good.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Koni yellow (single adjustable) are, IMO, THE BEST option for these cars (especially if you don't need the customization of coil overs). They work great with stock springs, but do improve the handling 1000x. Even on full soft (which I recommend for daily driving) they handle a lot better than any low price replacement. On full firm they are great for autocross, track days, or corner carving (but I think full hard is a little too firm on the street, over potholes or bumps etc). You could later get lowering springs if you want and use them. Coil-overs are overkill if you are just getting into improving your car; don't just buy them because you heard coil-overs are cool, if you dont fully understand their adjustments you should stick with normal shock replacements. You should also seriously consider a bigger front sway bar.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

there is a bunch of coilover info on this site if you search. what is your goal for the car? current mods? if you want to go fast in a straight line then qa1 or Vikings may be good options. if you want a corner carver then the umi/afco is heard to beat, and there is also ride tech coilovers which I don't know much about. I have Vikings and am not particularly happy with them, they handle decent for what they are but I think that has a lot to do with the other suspension components I have on my car but they ride horrible on the street, very bouncy. need more info on the car and your goals, I'm sure some sponsors will chime in too.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with koni yellows....they are fantastic with lowering springs. Expensive but cheaper than doing it twice like I did.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Another vote here for koni sports. Im currently running them with stock springs on the lower perch and it is a great combo for street driving. I honestly feel like they are my best mod so far, i enjoy them more then when i added heads and cam to my car.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Chris. I run Koni yellow on car adjustable shocks on my 1998 trans am and they are excellent. Great price for the difference they make and performance you get. I run bmr lowering springs on them currently but might want to switch to umi springs as I want a little more spring rate for autocross.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Today is the last day to order Koni's and be eligible for the mail in rebate on sets of 4.

Also remember that I carry a bunch of options, Koni's, springs, etc. And coil-overs. And I also offer the option to assemble Koni's and Strano Springs for you, saving you a bunch of hassle and paying labor to shops that often mess that assembly up.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-30-2018, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Never seen a coil-over kit for a street car that didn't give up something,,usually ride and or noise.
A well tuned spring and shock set on a otherwise stock chassis is hard to beat.

If I need to rapidly adjust a car, then coil overs, otherwise the stock parts are durable for the long haul of a DD..

Koni shocks plus H&R or Koni springs,,, hard to beat. If your talking general drivability..