Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Steering Wheel Off-Center with New Rack and Pinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Off-Center with New Rack and Pinion

I installed a new (remanufactured) rack and pinion because my old one was leaking, but when I went to connect the steering linkage, the pinion shaft was not in the same position as the old one, so the linkage wouldn’t connect. I have the steering wheel locked at center, and the new rack was centered at the factory, so I don’t want to turn it.

If I turn the steering wheel to get the linkage on, then the steering wheel will be crooked when the wheels are straight. Will an alignment fix this issue?
Old 12-13-2018, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

When an alignment shop has to make that kind of correction,they loosen the tie rod lock nuts and pop the tie rod ends out of the steering knuckles. They then rotate the inner tie rods(one side inward and one side outward) to center/straighten the wheels while the steering wheel is in the desired position. For example,one side gets turned 3 turns and then the other side get 3 turns in the opposite direction(one is shortened,one is lengthened) to maintain existing front end steering geometry. The inner tie rod ends in the rack are ball ends so there's no limit to number of turns,the limitation is the threads connecting the inner tie rod to the outer tie rod. When I was at Tuffy,replacing a steering rack almost always required the adjustment. Also sometimes a customer would come in and asked if we could change steering wheel position slightly,same procedure. When I got my Cobalt,I made the adjustment to have a better relationship for my elbow on the doors' armrest,if I remember right,it took two turns.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've noticed the same thing changing racks sometimes. Last time it happened I moved the steering wheel over a notch because i like the tie rods to be centered. I think it comes down to the technician rebuilding the rack putting the gears back on one tooth off.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:02 AM
Teching In

Yeah I ended up just turning the steering wheel to get it on. My steering wheel is a little crooked but not really too noticeable. It’s not nearly as bad as I thought it was gonna be. Hopefully they can straighten out the steering wheel when I get an alignment. I want to change the ball joints and control arm bushings before I get it aligned though. Thanks for both of your replies!
Old 12-21-2018, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by brettcameron
Yeah I ended up just turning the steering wheel to get it on. My steering wheel is a little crooked but not really too noticeable. It’s not nearly as bad as I thought it was gonna be. Hopefully they can straighten out the steering wheel when I get an alignment. I want to change the ball joints and control arm bushings before I get it aligned though. Thanks for both of your replies!
I did the same thing on my WS6 couple years ago and steering wheel was crooked. No worries, they will center steering wheel during an alignment.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

I'm pretty sure i got a rack one time where the pinion was off center. After alignment one tierod was adjusted all the way in and the other adjusted all the way out to compensate. I ended up pulling the rack apart to fix it. A rare instance i hope.