LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Suspension & Brakes (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-16/)
-   -   Rear brakes on a 98+ 4th gen that don't use drum ebrake (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/1914547-rear-brakes-98-4th-gen-dont-use-drum-ebrake.html)

KissMyTushZ28 02-02-2019 10:07 PM

Rear brakes on a 98+ 4th gen that don't use drum ebrake

Hey gang. Was wondering if there is an option to use a rear brake that doesn't use drums for the E-brake. C5 rears, 97- rears, or any others that will bolt up or have a adapter brackets available. I hate the drum E-Brake design and I'm rebuilding my Z28 so I'm ok with different calipers and such. Was planning on doing a CTSV or Vette upgrade on the front. I'll also be replacing my rear end at some point with a 12 bolt or 9 inch. So any that will work on stock 10 bolt and can be transferred over to that will be helpful as well. I believe I have a 4 channel rear. 99 Z28 with ABS and TCS. I don't care about keeping TCS but would like to keep ABS if possible.

FirstYrLS1Z 02-03-2019 07:53 AM

If TSC is lost, so will be the ABS. You can't have only one as they are both part of the same system.

KissMyTushZ28 02-03-2019 01:17 PM

Ah well that sucks. I have a disable box on my TCS. Didn't have it on my Trans Am and never needed it. But either way that's alright.

KissMyTushZ28 02-04-2019 11:07 PM

I plan on pretty much completely rebuilding this car. New SKF wheel bearings, full brake replacements, everything. So if something like a Corvette rear brake will bolt up and also work without using the shoe style parking brake system I'm ok with that.

hokeplaya05 02-05-2019 11:15 AM

lt1 (93-97) cars don't use a drum rear brake. putting anything bigger than a stock rear brake on these cars is overkill, they are rear biased from the factory so putting a vette sized rear brake on them will cause braking issues

KissMyTushZ28 02-05-2019 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05 (Post 20042567)
lt1 (93-97) cars don't use a drum rear brake. putting anything bigger than a stock rear brake on these cars is overkill, they are rear biased from the factory so putting a vette sized rear brake on them will cause braking issues

I was thinking that as well, I already had issues with rear brake hop once at a track and that scared the Sh1t out of me. I think Strano made a video about the SKF bearings helping with that or some kit he had helping with that but anyway. Will the 93 to 97 brakes allow me to keep the ABS though?

hokeplaya05 02-06-2019 11:18 AM

i would think so since most of them had ABS from the factory but not 100%. when swapping to lt1 rear brakes you will have to replace the hand break and all cables with the older stuff too, its not just swapping the calipers and backing plates.

KissMyTushZ28 02-06-2019 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05 (Post 20043173)
i would think so since most of them had ABS from the factory but not 100%. when swapping to lt1 rear brakes you will have to replace the hand break and all cables with the older stuff too, its not just swapping the calipers and backing plates.

I should still be able to use that same cables wouldn't it? Maybe different length. But definitely shouldn't have to change the handbrake assembly. Mechanically it's still a handle pulling a cable right? So once I hook up the correct length cable it should still work with the factory handle, right?

hokeplaya05 02-07-2019 11:03 AM

from what I've seen the cables are different, maybe the handbrake mechanism is the same though I'm not sure.

AnotherWs6 02-07-2019 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z (Post 20041423)
If TSC is lost, so will be the ABS. You can't have only one as they are both part of the same system.

Honestly not familiar with the wheel speed sensors and shit, but plenty of cars came with ABS and no traction control. Like my car. They probably use the same sensors????

KissMyTushZ28 02-07-2019 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 (Post 20043799)
Honestly not familiar with the wheel speed sensors and shit, but plenty of cars came with ABS and no traction control. Like my car. They probably use the same sensors????

If yours has ABS and no TSC then yours is a 3 channel system and mine is a 4 channel system. Different setups.

KissMyTushZ28 02-07-2019 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05 (Post 20043755)
from what I've seen the cables are different, maybe the handbrake mechanism is the same though I'm not sure.

Yeah different cables wouldn't be too hard, I could even make cables if I need to. The mechanics of the handle should still work the same.

KissMyTushZ28 02-09-2019 04:45 PM

I plan on street driving the car so I don't want to lose ABS but then again at the same time I've driven and owned several cars without ABS... But if it's still possible I'd prefer to retain it but just have a rear brake setup that doesn't use drum shoes for the Ebrake.

KissMyTushZ28 05-12-2019 08:56 PM

Main goal is basically get a braking system that doesn't use the drum setup for the parking brake. Or get a dual caliper setup and have a hydro handbrake along with the drum parking brake. The drum parking brake is just such a pain.

KissMyTushZ28 05-12-2019 09:05 PM

Does anyone know if swapping to LT1 rear brakes will allow me to keep ABS/TCS?

hokeplaya05 05-13-2019 11:25 AM

if you find brakes of a car that had ABS/TCS i would think it will work, not sure how many came with both though, i know my 94 only has ABS.

i was planning on swapping to all ls1 rear brakes on my car and have all the components to do it but i think i am going to just do a dual caliper setup using the ls1 rear calipers instead since it will be way easier and having a hydro ebrake will be wicked fun lol

00PewterSS 05-14-2019 01:42 PM

I'm just curious, why do you want to get rid of the drum in hat parking brake? There is a reason GM shifted away from the old system using the caliper directly, even C7 use drum in hat.

As for getting rid of TCS. I didn't rid myself of the wheel sensor, but I did get rid of the modules. I also got rid of my cruise control. You can buy different throttle cables if you get rid of TCS or cruise. Though I believe the cruise control throttle cable is no longer available so the junk yard is the only choice.

KissMyTushZ28 05-15-2019 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS (Post 20095346)
I'm just curious, why do you want to get rid of the drum in hat parking brake? There is a reason GM shifted away from the old system using the caliper directly, even C7 use drum in hat.

As for getting rid of TCS. I didn't rid myself of the wheel sensor, but I did get rid of the modules. I also got rid of my cruise control. You can buy different throttle cables if you get rid of TCS or cruise. Though I believe the cruise control throttle cable is no longer available so the junk yard is the only choice.

So my main reason for this is to see if I have any options. Right now my car needs to be inspected to renew my registration but it won't pass inspection because the parking brake isn't working. I don't drive the car much because it's a project car but this issue is now my priority so that I can drive it if needed. So I'm going to have to pull it all apart anyways to replace the shoes and that's a royal PITA! Then I have to adjust everything. I want a working handbrake for more than just parking. So I will either need a dual caliper setup with a hydro along with the drum system. Or see how a caliper only setup will work without the drums, which should also be easier to maintain.

With getting rid of the modules do you still have ABS? I can live with TCS, was mainly again just wondering about my options and if it was possible to remove and keep ABS to clean up the engine bay from that multi cable and box crap. It doesn't appear to be so easy.

KissMyTushZ28 05-15-2019 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05 (Post 20094828)
if you find brakes of a car that had ABS/TCS i would think it will work, not sure how many came with both though, i know my 94 only has ABS.

i was planning on swapping to all ls1 rear brakes on my car and have all the components to do it but i think i am going to just do a dual caliper setup using the ls1 rear calipers instead since it will be way easier and having a hydro ebrake will be wicked fun lol

Yeah that's what I'm wanting as well. But I also want a parking brake because I do plan on street driving the car, And an aftermarket hydro isn't best suited for a parking brake.

00PewterSS 05-15-2019 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28 (Post 20095636)
So my main reason for this is to see if I have any options. Right now my car needs to be inspected to renew my registration but it won't pass inspection because the parking brake isn't working. I don't drive the car much because it's a project car but this issue is now my priority so that I can drive it if needed. So I'm going to have to pull it all apart anyways to replace the shoes and that's a royal PITA! Then I have to adjust everything. I want a working handbrake for more than just parking. So I will either need a dual caliper setup with a hydro along with the drum system. Or see how a caliper only setup will work without the drums, which should also be easier to maintain.

With getting rid of the modules do you still have ABS? I can live with TCS, was mainly again just wondering about my options and if it was possible to remove and keep ABS to clean up the engine bay from that multi cable and box crap. It doesn't appear to be so easy.

I wouldn't mess with it and just keep the stock parking brake... up to you.

It is easy to remove TCS. You just remove the module and replace the throttle cable. The tricky part is the throttle cable with cruise control isn't available so you need to get it from the junk yard. If you don't care about cruise, new cables are available, I just got one.