Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

PSA about power steering pumps, turn one power steering pump rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Default PSA about power steering pumps, turn one power steering pump rebuild?

i recently decided to send my pump and rack to turn one and i think anyone who hasn't yet replaced their pump could benefit from this next paragraph. they received my rack an did the rebuild, no issues, it passed their dyno, i haven't yet installed it. however after the did the high performance rebuild on my pump, they call me to tell me my pump failed the dyno inspection. i was upset at first because i thought i would have to still pay for the rebuild of a bad pump, but they actually dont charge you if the pump doesnt pass. anyway, whats important here is why it didn't pass, inside the pump where it rotates in the bore, the bore wears out from the metal on metal contact. so after they rebuilt and tested, due to this wear i had fluid pressure loss. whats interesting is i had absolutely no issues when i pulled the pump, but this could be because of the higher pressures the stock pump operates at. no idea how much pressure is inside the pump, but to better explain this, say my pump was pumping 75 psi, but was leaking past and was now doing 50 psi, thats still enough to power the rack pretty easily. but the high performance rebuild does a few things that operate the pump at less pressure. so say there pump pumps 50 psi, but now with the leak its doing at the same 33% at 34psi operating pressure, thats a huge difference now and will most likely be felt with increased steering effort, which will only continue to get worse. so how does this affect you? well that reman pump you wanna by buy because you dont need anything special is goona be a used housing, which most likely will have some wear as well, especially if they dont dyno test the reman for pressure loss after the rebuild. you in theory are most likely buying a pump that still will be losing some pressure due to the housing wear.....bottom line, if you ever consider replacing the pump, i would highly recommend getting a new pump.

no issues with my steering besides a slightly damp rack, but my motor is out of the car so lets replace this 19 year old rack. ive seen turn one has had basically no bad reviews on this site, so they will be getting mine for a rebuild. that leaves me to the pump. i figure we mine as well replace that now as well since the rack is already disconnected. i contact them as well about pump rebuilds, and this is what a sales rep said....

For the pump, we offer a standard rebuild and an upgraded rebuild for high performance use. The standard rebuild starts at $150, the upgraded rebuild starts at $200. The upgraded rebuild upgrades the pump to reduce horsepower consumption, reduce fluid temperature, and also increases the pressure capacity of the pump to handle higher wheel loads that high performance driving produces. In addition to our rebuilding services, we also offer 100% new (not reman or off-shore) high performance power steering pumps that are track ready. The new pumps are $325.

does the upgraded rebuild sound worth it? is it a decent idea to address this old pump or just let it go?

Last edited by Floorman279; 03-04-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

My Turn one pump started leaking 3 months after purchase on my Camaro
My Turn one pump on my C4 started leaking 4 months after purchase....

Get a good new stock pump.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

or you can rebuild it yourself....I bet there is a sticky at the top of the page........
Old 02-06-2019, 06:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
My Turn one pump started leaking 3 months after purchase on my Camaro
My Turn one pump on my C4 started leaking 4 months after purchase....

Get a good new stock pump.
see thats what im afraid of. kinda like wheel bearings on our cars, the best quality was the OE part, and once you touch it you done did wrong.......also seems little steep for a rebuild honestly......rock auto has new ac delco (the only new pump on there site) for 195. ill have to consider it.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:47 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The post above is the first one I've seen here about problems with a TurnOne product. They did a stock rebuild on my pump and the work is spotless.

I expect that they (unlike some other options) will stand by their work. I recommend TurnOne's upgraded pulley, regardless of which option you go with. The pulley is permanently attached, but the pump bolt's up to the block in a snap and you no longer need to deal with a remover.

Originally Posted by Floorman279
does the upgraded rebuild sound worth it? is it a decent idea to address this old pump or just let it go?
There's no such thing as a free lunch. (You have to give something to get something.) In City driving, the upgraded pump should have a higher steering effort to it. So, if you are just using this as a daily driver, you'd probably be best with a standard pump and wouldn't see a pay-off from the upgraded features.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:56 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We run Turn One pumps on every UMI car. Usually at 7000+ RPM and with sticky 315 tires and a lot of steering. Never had a single problem, ever. Two leakers is an anomaly.

The high performance rebuild is totally worth it. On our '99 SS we had overheating trouble prior to the Turn One. A big cooler helped a little but we still burnt pumps every few races. After the Turn One, we were able to take the cooler off.

ramey
The following users liked this post:
1SS2NV00 (12-29-2020)
Old 02-06-2019, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I use my cars daily. They didn't hold up. Stock pump lasted over 10 years on Camaro. Over 20 years in the Vette. Swapped to a Rock auto A.C. Delco on Camaro and it's been fine for last few years so far. I bought the optional pulley on my Camaro Turn 1 and it makes changing it a breeze. Steering effort was barely worse.

After all the raving about Comp Trinions,Viking coil overs two other mistakes I did to the car I don't read posts from any vendors anymore

Last edited by Mike Morris; 02-06-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

i think the key to longevity on these pumps is ....keep them cool ! .......the heat just cooks the seals .......use a P/S cooler and run syn fluids.....does not hurt to use a inline filter also

and if you have the stock P/S cooler.........GET RID OF IT ASAP
Old 02-06-2019, 06:02 PM
TECH Junkie

im with you morris about listening to vendors, however umi honestly hasn't steered anybody wrong that im aware of. and they dont sell turn one pumps. i also bought vikings lol, hence my long thread from awhile back. i might gamble on the turn one pump rebuild, only because a "new" gm pump that has been on the shelf for under 1 year just isn't goona happen, and they will be doing my rack regardless. i do appreciate the info tho, it just seems like the options are "who the hell knows" branded rebuilds, or a turn one. at least i will know who rebuild mine, not what the label says.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I only have the Vikings on the front thank God. For a DD they are terrible. My fault since I should have realized a shock not gas charged would be problems on the street with long driving.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

lol bmr tried so hard to defend them in that thread, then they got **** all over.....typical bmr. i sold mine.....im up to a big boy shock now, KW variant 3s. not installed yet
Old 02-07-2019, 06:01 AM
Save the manuals!

Let's get back to power steering pumps...

I use my cars daily. They didn't hold up.
We have lots of members here who have had great and long experiences with Turn One Pumps and yours is the first bad experience I've seen.

Can you tell us more about your situation? Did they leak out of the box? If so, did you ask TurnOne to fix them? Where did the cores come from? (Were they known to you and good before you sent them off?)

Old 02-07-2019, 06:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you can still get an OEM pump, do it. I sent my rack to Turn One for a rebuild and got back an incorrectly indexed pinion, I won't use them again.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by _JB_
If you can still get an OEM pump, do it. I sent my rack to Turn One for a rebuild and got back an incorrectly indexed pinion, I won't use them again.
say i find one in a gm box with the gm number,so its like 10 years old. do the seals go bad just sitting there in a box overtime?
Old 02-07-2019, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

[non-sponsor link removed]

Last edited by wssix99; 02-08-2019 at 06:53 AM. Reason: .....
Old 02-07-2019, 07:48 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Floorman279
say i find one in a gm box with the gm number,so its like 10 years old. do the seals go bad just sitting there in a box overtime?
Yes. Rubber oxidizes and becomes brittle over time.

http://polymerdatabase.com/polymer%2...lastomers.html
Old 02-08-2019, 01:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

if I had not rebuilt my pump I would have bought the Tuff Stuff alum body ...new....from summit.....6175AL-6

and then put a turn 1 pulley on it
Old 02-08-2019, 05:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
if I had not rebuilt my pump I would have bought the Tuff Stuff alum body ...new....from summit.....6175AL-6

and then put a turn 1 pulley on it
thanks ill go this route.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
if I had not rebuilt my pump I would have bought the Tuff Stuff alum body
I'm curious, why? Steel should be much more durable and adequate for most applications.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:03 AM
Save the manuals!

I use my cars daily. They didn't hold up.
Originally Posted by wssix99
Can you tell us more about your situation? Did they leak out of the box? If so, did you ask TurnOne to fix them? Where did the cores come from? (Were they known to you and good before you sent them off?)
I'm still looking forward to the answers here. The pages of this site have a lot of experiences where people have rebuilt junk yard parts and still ended up with a junk yard product. There's only so much one can do with a rebuild and if a core is bad, then the chances of a good rebuild go down.