LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Suspension & Brakes (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-16/)
-   -   Shocks? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/1914906-shocks.html)

Freddgs 02-08-2019 02:42 PM

Shocks?

What is the recommended shocks for street performance for a 2002 pontiac ws6

2kSilverSS 02-08-2019 03:25 PM

Koni STR or Bilsteins are the standard cheaper routes that still are quite good. Strano Parts is good place to get info and prices.

Floorman279 02-08-2019 07:08 PM

The above 2 shocks listed are this sites go to for a budget performer. Basically 0 reliability complaints and much much better performing shock than stock without compromising ride quality.

Chris Paveglio 02-08-2019 07:55 PM

Koni single adjustables. Had them for years on full soft with stock springs, worked great, 100x better than stock.

UMI Tech 02-11-2019 07:11 AM

For street in general, Koni STR.T is a tremendous value and good performance. For street performance Koni SPORT with rebound adjustment is the gold, or should I say Yellow, standard.

Paired with UMI 2061 for street performance, your car can look like the Silver Bullet and still be comfortable on long drives.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...f93876c521.jpg
UMI 2061 on Koni STR.T for daily driving

AnotherWs6 02-11-2019 07:27 AM

Koni adjustables will change your outlook on life.

snow---flake99wssix 02-11-2019 11:10 AM

Question:
I have QA1 Hals in the front....because I need to be able to adjust the ride height about 1/2" lower so the car looks right.....front end slightly lower than the rear.

If I get the Koni Yellows....do their front shocks also adjust up and down?

I have a LG Motorsports G2 Super Springs.......they lower me a lot. I have 1/2" spacers in the rear and then I have to adjust the fronts down to make it all look perfect. I have Bilstiens in the rear. The car handles great.....but I assume the Koni Yellow kit will handle much better.

Floorman279 02-11-2019 07:53 PM

for the love of god do not pair koni yellows with the qa1

hurley711 02-11-2019 08:15 PM

Just had my Koni STR.T installed over Christmas break and they've been outstanding . Lower end budget youncanyo go wrong between these and the Bilstein HD.

snow---flake99wssix 02-11-2019 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Floorman279 (Post 20046172)
for the love of god do not pair koni yellows with the qa1

Gotta read my post again......

Question:
I have QA1 Hals in the front....because I need to be able to adjust the ride height about 1/2" lower so the car looks right.....front end slightly lower than the rear.

If I get the Koni Yellows....do their front shocks also adjust up and down?

I have a LG Motorsports G2 Super Springs.......they lower me a lot. I have 1/2" spacers in the rear and then I have to adjust the fronts down to make it all look perfect. I have Bilstiens in the rear. The car handles great.....but I assume the Koni Yellow kit will handle much better.

Floorman279 02-11-2019 11:56 PM

oooo ok. no front shock is adjustable unless it has a threaded shock body, so no the koni yellow is not, however, there is a second perch setting that people have run

snow---flake99wssix 02-12-2019 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Floorman279 (Post 20046276)
oooo ok. no front shock is adjustable unless it has a threaded shock body, so no the koni yellow is not, however, there is a second perch setting that people have run

Yea...I was curious about the front shocks being adjustable because I really need to have that otherwise my front end will sit too high and look bad.

My car really handles good, very solid. Front end doesn't bounce at all, it stays down firm, probably because I have the front QA1s adjusted so far down.....so they are tight on the springs.

I wouldn't mind upgrading to the best possible front/rear shocks and springs soon....but I have to be able to adjust the front.

OR......maybe I can measure and have the front springs cut down after I install new front shocks to make it right......??????

Floorman279 02-12-2019 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by snow---flake99wssix (Post 20046848)
Yea...I was curious about the front shocks being adjustable because I really need to have that otherwise my front end will sit too high and look bad.

My car really handles good, very solid. Front end doesn't bounce at all, it stays down firm, probably because I have the front QA1s adjusted so far down.....so they are tight on the springs.

I wouldn't mind upgrading to the best possible front/rear shocks and springs soon....but I have to be able to adjust the front.

OR......maybe I can measure and have the front springs cut down after I install new front shocks to make it right......??????

dont cut springs, worst idea ever.

im surprised, but if you think the QA1s are nice then the koni STR.T will be more than enough for you. to do ride height correct you would need a threaded shock.

snow---flake99wssix 02-14-2019 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Floorman279 (Post 20046892)
dont cut springs, worst idea ever.

im surprised, but if you think the QA1s are nice then the koni STR.T will be more than enough for you. to do ride height correct you would need a threaded shock.

How about that thing that you attach to the spring somewhere in the middle and it compresses a couple coils closer together and then locks them in that position.....that lowers the height.

Forgot what thats called....

Floorman279 02-14-2019 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by snow---flake99wssix (Post 20047991)
How about that thing that you attach to the spring somewhere in the middle and it compresses a couple coils closer together and then locks them in that position.....that lowers the height.

Forgot what thats called....

thats also dumb in my opinion........you are lessening the spring working length without increasing spring pressure. if you reduce the working length you need to increase spring pressure to prevent bottoming out

snow---flake99wssix 02-15-2019 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Floorman279 (Post 20048006)
thats also dumb in my opinion........you are lessening the spring working length without increasing spring pressure. if you reduce the working length you need to increase spring pressure to prevent bottoming out

Well...I guess I'm stuck with the QA1's up front until I find some other better handling type of front shocks that are height adjustable.

But its just a street car 100%.....it handles extremely well.

JD_AMG 02-15-2019 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by snow---flake99wssix (Post 20048061)
Well...I guess I'm stuck with the QA1's up front until I find some other better handling type of front shocks that are height adjustable.

But its just a street car 100%.....it handles extremely well.

If you think your QA1s handle nice you'll shit your pants if you try koni sports...
Do a search:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...bilsteins.html
And that is with just bilsteins which are quiet a step below Koni sports.
Here is a koni sport vs qa1 direct comparinson:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ml#post8344345

QA1s are pretty poor at best, non gas charged (see shock fade) twin tube drag shocks essentially, im surprised they are not bouncing or giving you a floating feeling unless you don't have anything to compare it to.
You can buy a adjustable spring perch for any stock-style front shocks from ground control, you could install that on Koni sports or just buy better springs to pair with the koni sports and you won't have weird ride height differences.
You could also look into the UMI/Strano Afco coilovers - they are proper coilovers (monotube gas charged shocks) that were valved for handling by Sam Strano. There is also ride tech and KW, both are monotube gas charged shocks. At the very least you want to get some shocks that are gas charged...

Floorman279 02-15-2019 06:30 PM

thats what i tried telling him, STR.T shocks would rock his world

5.7stroker 02-16-2019 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Freddgs (Post 20044462)
What is the recommended shocks for street performance for a 2002 pontiac ws6

Ever consider coil overs?

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...oducts_id=1003

Floorman279 02-16-2019 03:47 PM

hes not goona want to spend that just for the ability to adjust height