Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

No power steering unless rev engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Ok thanks all. Sounds like a pump replacement is in my future.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

even if you get a reman, the odds of it lasting 50,000 miles i would say are slim.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:50 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Floorman279
even if you get a reman, the odds of it lasting 50,000 miles i would say are slim.
This doesn't correlate to my experience or that of the vast majority of our other members. As is demonstrated here, there are several things that can cause a pump to go "bad" (like a bad pressure valve) - not just wear items. The wear items last much longer than 50K.

There's also no problem with wear on the bore of the pump housing. There are retractable vanes that compensate for any wear: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...pair-pics.html Like any other rebuild, a quality job is needed to inspect the surfaces, vanes, etc. to make sure they mate and will wear properly. (Personally, I do not trust the mass-manufactured rebuild sweat shops in China and Mexico to do this, but I am having a great experience with my TurnOne rebuild.)
Old 03-16-2019, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by wssix99
This doesn't correlate to my experience or that of the vast majority of our other members. As is demonstrated here, there are several things that can cause a pump to go "bad" (like a bad pressure valve) - not just wear items. The wear items last much longer than 50K.

There's also no problem with wear on the bore of the pump housing. There are retractable vanes that compensate for any wear: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...pair-pics.html Like any other rebuild, a quality job is needed to inspect the surfaces, vanes, etc. to make sure they mate and will wear properly. (Personally, I do not trust the mass-manufactured rebuild sweat shops in China and Mexico to do this, but I am having a great experience with my TurnOne rebuild.)
so why did turn one tell me my rebuilt wasnt holding pressure due to the housing being worn? if these retractable veins exist they never told me about them. they rebuilt mine and said upon testing it shows some leaks. they also told me this happens quite frequently with pumps the rebuild so you are telling me one thing, they are telling me another.....who do i listen to? (not being a smartass promise)

either way i have this new pump.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 254 Likes on 209 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

the reason I asked about which bore was worn......if the shaft bushing and or shaft itself was worn pressure would just vent out into the snout relief ports ...i believe

if the inner housing was worn past the sealing ability of the pump vanes ( deep gouges in the housing ) .....loss of pressure

the one I rebuilt was in good condition as far as the hard parts.....ALL the seal were shot
Old 03-17-2019, 09:12 AM
Save the manuals!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Floorman279
so why did turn one tell me my rebuilt wasnt holding pressure due to the housing being worn? if these retractable veins exist they never told me about them. they rebuilt mine and said upon testing it shows some leaks. they also told me this happens quite frequently with pumps the rebuild so you are telling me one thing, they are telling me another.....who do i listen to?
I can't speak for TurnOne, but there's no way anyone (from TurnOne or Larry's Garage) could diagnose why a pump isn't holding pressure over the phone. I understand TurnOne bench tests all of their pumps and rebuilds before they ship, so having a discussion about that might be more constructive for you. I would expect anyone performing a rebuild to inspect the smoothness and square of the main bore do make sure that the new vanes will seat properly and the work will be successful.

Even if the main bore was out of square or galled, I would not expect the performance of the pump to be affected much. The fluid bypassing the vanes would be very small. A broken vane, a seized/retracted vane, or a problem with the pressure valve would be much more pronounced in terms of pressure issues.

Along the lines sjsingle1 is asking about, I recall your pumps were not pulls from other cars and not known to you. I would expect that a new pump, with new machining, would have the potential to be a higher quality part. I would have much more confidence in a reman for a part I used and took care of over its life vs. a used part that might have been used in racing, been in an accident, sat un-lubricated in a warehouse for 4 years, was in a car not taken care of, etc.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:19 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

i gave them my pump, they rebuilt it, they dyno tested, they said its losing pressure due to the bore being worn out. i think someone mentioned there were 2 bores so maybe it wasnt the one with the vanes. they said i could run it and it may last awhile but it was indeed losing. didn't charge me for the rebuild, sold me a new pump. its your knowledge vs the knowledge of the vendor (again not being a smartass, i like to clarify cause the internet makes it always seem negative). they told me this happens quite often. maybe they consider a 5% loss still loss and unacceptable. they never gave me a number on how much it was leaking so i dont know. either way i didn't get my old pump back which would have been nice to sell for 50 bucks, but they might just disassemble it and keep the rebuild parts and toss the core idk.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:43 AM
Launching!

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Apparently the valve was stuck, and broke free and fixed itself.

All good now. Get lucky every now and then, hopefully will not reoccur.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 254 Likes on 209 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

use syn fluid.....and change it out so often.....maybe 15k ? its up to you
Old 04-03-2019, 07:35 AM
Save the manuals!

LS1Tech 10 Year

+1. I'd definitely do a fluid change right now.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i always try some good power steering restore fluid first, it might get you by for awhile,definetly get the old stuff out anyways